Law School Discussion

Poll

Why are the Newbies scared to speak up?

They prefer to Lurk.
20 (37%)
They're not, they're just on another website.
4 (7.4%)
The Board is too cliquish.
10 (18.5%)
There's nothing interesting to talk about.
3 (5.6%)
There's nobody interesting to talk to.
2 (3.7%)
Not enough Board moderation.
4 (7.4%)
Newbies?  What Newbies?
11 (20.4%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Black Law Student Discussion Board

Re: Black Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #42730 on: June 10, 2007, 08:34:41 AM »
would you have to maintain a certain GPA @ Howard? I know a few folks that received full rides & had to maintain a 3.0 or above.. where do you want to practice? and if you're thinking about getting a LLM ultimately- I say go to Howard and if you can go IVY for the LLM..

Tier1= BC.
they offered about 3/4 tuition. just have to keep a 2.5 or something low like that. because the school is so expensive the total debt for all 3 year would still be around 80,000.

I want to do entertainment law/IP, but I've heard it's hard to get into. Just general corporate litigation would suffice. BIGLAW a few years than maybe start my own practice and/or get an LLM from a T14 and become a professor.

Kirk Lazarus

• I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #42731 on: June 10, 2007, 08:43:41 AM »
Tier1= BC.
they offered about 3/4 tuition. just have to keep a 2.5 or something low like that. because the school is so expensive the total debt for all 3 year would still be around 80,000.

I want to do entertainment law/IP, but I've heard it's hard to get into. Just general corporate litigation would suffice. BIGLAW a few years than maybe start my own practice and/or get an LLM from a T14 and become a professor.

Howard.

One Step Ahead

• you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #42732 on: June 10, 2007, 08:54:39 AM »
Is Howard known to be good for getting an LLM later? or just because of the money saving?

I know for Howard the scholarship requirement was crazy. It was like top5% of the class. Because the tuition is so much lower even if I lost the scholarship after the first semester it would still be cheaper than BC. I want to practice in DC/No VA, or California. I am pretty willing to move wherever though ( outside of NYC) for a good job, I don't have any geographical ties.

oh top 5% is too high.  see if you can negotiate to get "good standing"

Kirk Lazarus

• I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #42733 on: June 10, 2007, 08:56:32 AM »
Is Howard known to be good for getting an LLM later? or just because of the money saving?

I know for Howard the scholarship requirement was crazy. It was like top5% of the class. Because the tuition is so much lower even if I lost the scholarship after the first semester it would still be cheaper than BC. I want to practice in DC/No VA, or California. I am pretty willing to move wherever though ( outside of NYC) for a good job, I don't have any geographical ties.

oh top 5% is too high.  see if you can negotiate to get "good standing"

they won't. They are cheap and foxy. They plan on a number of scholarship students losing the scholarship after the first year.

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #42734 on: June 10, 2007, 08:58:41 AM »
lol that's good marketing.  Bait and switch.

« Reply #42735 on: June 10, 2007, 09:14:51 AM »
not certain but top 5% is a lot of pressure esp 1L yr... I'm not saying it's impossible though

I'm thinking in this case I can't go wrong either way? Even though 80,000 is a lot of debt I can pay off some from working in the summer and I got really low interest rates on my loans. So either way I'll graduate with less debt than most from a great school. I've seen BC so I'm thinking I might swing through Howard and see if just from visiting I like it more.

It would be ok if I lost my scholarship after the first semester because it would still be cheaper than BC. Anyone know if they totally take it away or do they just reduce it?

One Step Ahead

• you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #42736 on: June 10, 2007, 09:40:51 AM »
I know people say Howard won't compromise on the top 5% criterion, but I would level with them "I have a big scholarship to go the BC, I am worried about this top 5% requirement" then ask them how many people retain the scholarship etc, ask if it can be top 5% for the year--at least then you get some wiggle room, or top 25%. 

Honestly, I'm so not into bait and switch that I might not take the Howard scholarship out of spite. 

« Reply #42737 on: June 10, 2007, 09:43:42 AM »
haha I'm into it. Bait and switch me baby

DDBY

• View Profile
« Reply #42738 on: June 10, 2007, 09:48:59 AM »
I just planned on treating it like a full time job and only taking friday/saturday nights completely off. I'm thinking top 5% is a little impossible though and I'd probably lose the scholarship after first semester.

Is there any huge advantage to the BC name over Howard? or the T1 vs T3? I feel like in any other case it would matter greatly, but because it's Howard I am less concerned.
If your black just having a J.D. is enough.  They need more black attorneys everywhere.  I would think Howard holds alot more presteige amung our people if  the market where you work depends on that.  Even then amung our people having a J.D. (or an M.D., or a PHD, or being a member of the cloth)makes you a community pillar. at least in my city it does. 

I just wish more of our pillars would set up solo shops (or partnerships) in our neighborhoods to help our people with their legal matters (Civil, estate, and family law maters.  Elder law, employment and business development).  Considering the amount of money that flows through our community is enough to make multiple millionaire attorneys should attract the entreprenurial types...But that concern has nothing to do with your question.

« Reply #42739 on: June 10, 2007, 11:13:28 AM »
I'd go to BC...but maybe that's just me.