Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Why are the Newbies scared to speak up?

They prefer to Lurk.
 16 (34.8%)
They're not, they're just on another website.
 4 (8.7%)
The Board is too cliquish.
 10 (21.7%)
There's nothing interesting to talk about.
 2 (4.3%)
There's nobody interesting to talk to.
 2 (4.3%)
Not enough Board moderation.
 4 (8.7%)
Newbies?  What Newbies?
 8 (17.4%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Black Law Student Discussion Board  (Read 1637986 times)

2Lacoste

• Sr. Citizen
  • Johan Santana for President
    • View Profile
Re: Black Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #34650 on: November 30, 2006, 02:34:43 AM »
I'm marrying a white woman. Mos def.

Get with it, Alci.

yep

I'm too light-skinded as it is.  If I marry a white woman and have kids they'll be damn near beige.  They'll just blend into natural surroundings and sh*t.  Natural camoflauge.  Nah, forget that.  I'm marrying me a dark-skinned Black woman.  At least then I won't disappear (well, maybe my progeny won't).

What the hell am I talking about?  Who cares.  Anything to escape this 12(b)(2) motion to dismiss due tomorrow morning.  God I hate minimum contacts.

ahhhh civ pro. We've done that. booooooooo for international shoe, shaffer, ect.

Yeah, it's personal jurisdiction but its a motion for our Legal Research and Writing class.  Sucks ass.  As soon as I turn this in tomorrow, I'm gonna hear Scalia speak, go to Civ Pro, take a nap, wake up and get drunk.
Mets will take the NL Pennant.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #34651 on: November 30, 2006, 08:16:20 AM »
I've totally forgotten all of that stuff.  I'll probably have to relearn it this summer.  Hopefully not.

Scalia is fun(ny); he was here a few weeks ago.  Enjoy!

Inquirer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34652 on: December 01, 2006, 12:45:56 PM »
*Another offensive party on a college campus*

By Christine Des Garennes
Wednesday, November 29, 2006 7:21 AM CST

A University of Illinois advisory board has imposed sanctions on a fraternity and sorority following its investigation into a "Tacos and Tequila" party held earlier this fall.

Members of the UI's Board of Fraternity Affairs and Board of Sorority Affairs found Zeta Beta Tau and Delta Delta Delta violated the student code as well as fraternity and sorority rules about alcohol use.

The Oct. 5 party was hosted by the fraternity Zeta Beta Tau and involved members of the sorority Delta Delta Delta. Some students attending the party reportedly dressed up as Latino and Latina farmers, gardeners, pregnant women and illegal aliens.

UI Dean of Students Bill Riley said some of the students' behaviors were "not just uninformed and insensitive, but some (students) were downright degrading in how they depicted themselves."

Several hundred students held a rally on campus in late October to protest the party and to urge administrators to condemn the behavior and take action.

Riley, Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Renee Romano and Chancellor Richard Herman all issued statements expressing disappointment and calling the behavior unacceptable.

The matter was referred to the UI's office for student conflict resolution, which essentially administers campus discipline.

A hearing was held earlier this month and the boards of fraternity affairs and sorority affairs notified the organizations of the decision on Monday. The boards are made up of undergraduate students, alumni and faculty.

In their letter to ZBT and Tri Delta, members of the fraternity and sorority affairs boards wrote: "to say that members of the board (of fraternity affairs or sorority affairs) are disappointed in the actions of your members does not do justice to the harm done to our fraternal community and to the larger university community of students, staff and faculty. The blatant insensitivity and stereotyping behavior exhibited is in direct conflict with the values of your (fraternity or sorority), the UIUC Greek community and the university community more broadly."

The organizations will not be allowed to recruit new members during spring 2007. They were placed on social probation through fall 2007, banning events where alcohol is present. Zeta Beta Tau and Delta Delta Delta also were placed on conduct probation until the end of fall 2008, and will be monitored by an oversight committee.

In addition, the board recommended Dean Riley withdraw Zeta Beta Tau's certified housing status. However, Riley said he will hold on that recommendation until the board observes the fraternity's compliance with the other sanctions. If the certified housing status is removed, UI freshmen would not be allowed to live in the fraternity house.

The organizations were found to have violated portions of the student code which refer to the values of the University of Illinois, including respecting and valuing the dignity of others, and how students conduct themselves.

The organizations also were found to also have violated a number of guidelines within the sorority and fraternity system, including registering social functions and providing alcohol at social functions.

Both organizations will develop and implement programs for new members about multiculturalism and diversity. They will also put together educational plans for all of their members.

"These sanctions were ideas our chapter already planned on implementing," said Cassie Arner, Tri Delta alumni adviser. "We agree very much with the finding of the board; however, there are some sanctions we find disappointing," she added, citing social probation of the chapter, which limits the amount of events the chapter can sponsor.

"The chapter does feel that it now stands with an opportunity to affect real change on this campus when it comes to racism and cultural insensitivity," Arner said.

The sorority and fraternity can appeal the decision. Tri Delta has not made a decision regarding an appeal yet, Arner said. A message left Tuesday with the ZBT president was not returned.

There are 185 members of the UI's Tri Delta chapter and 115 to 120 members of the UI's ZBT chapter.

No students have been individually disciplined.

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #34653 on: December 01, 2006, 06:26:47 PM »
A simple way to do something about AIDS.  Bristol- Myers is donating a dollar to AIDS research every time someone goes to their website and moves the match to the candle and lights it.

https://www.lighttounite.org/

ananse

« Reply #34654 on: December 01, 2006, 06:53:48 PM »
A simple way to do something about AIDS.  Bristol- Myers is donating a dollar to AIDS research every time someone goes to their website and moves the match to the candle and lights it.

Thanks for posting this info!  I thought the page was very well-done. 

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34655 on: December 03, 2006, 11:54:05 AM »

thanks for the info...hassle free
...man, you was who you was before you got here

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34656 on: December 04, 2006, 08:12:28 PM »
Couple of comments and questions:

What is guilting? Is it parents telling children that they will never be good enough? or is it parents telling children that they need to have it better than them to succeed in society? I'm a little confused on that.

Also, to the comment someone said about education and attitude depending on gradnparent wealth. That's an interesting observation. Someone said that children whose parents were "first' achievers in thier families don't take on the same attittudes about the American Dreams as thier parents did. Is this true? I tend to think so, especially when children are used to hacing everything handed to them adn the parent actually had to work for where they are and what they have. Does that also equate to the children of upper class parents that have everything handed to them, or is it different since the parents probably share the attitude if wealth is  passed through generations in their family?

Comment about the article posted talking about children's vocab compared about economic boundaires. I wonder what the true cause of this would be? If we take the famillies in the highest eschelon of society and the lowest what would the parent-child interaction times be? Do you think they could be similar since both parents would be working very often, are there more similarities than differences?

Also, about the comment on children needing more than economic stability. I think children need love above all. It doesn't matter how many i-tunes they can download or how many new gadgets they get, it all comes down to whether they fell loved by their parents. What is the role of love in all this?

Whew, now that I've said all that, I can continue on this blasted memo!!

Lionking

« Reply #34657 on: December 05, 2006, 04:57:33 AM »
A little dilemma: the painful app process has pretty been much over me since before Thanksgiving, but none of my applications are complete. One professor has been straggling with his rec letter, and I haven't heard anything about his progress. I don't want to offend him by nagging about it, though. He's had about a month and a half now. What's a polite way to tell him that he needs to hurry his ass up?

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #34658 on: December 05, 2006, 08:42:11 AM »
Send him a thank-you card.

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34659 on: December 05, 2006, 10:02:09 AM »
I agree.  I had one prof who was slowing up the process, so I sent him an 'update' letter telling him everything that I had been up to (in your case mentioning all the great schools that you've applied to).  I told him to feel free to contact me if he needed anything and also to let me know if he wasn't able to write it.  If you search the Recommendations board under my name, I posted a template of that email a while back.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn