Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Why are the Newbies scared to speak up?

They prefer to Lurk.
 16 (34.8%)
They're not, they're just on another website.
 4 (8.7%)
The Board is too cliquish.
 10 (21.7%)
There's nothing interesting to talk about.
 2 (4.3%)
There's nobody interesting to talk to.
 2 (4.3%)
Not enough Board moderation.
 4 (8.7%)
Newbies?  What Newbies?
 8 (17.4%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Black Law Student Discussion Board  (Read 1639370 times)

crazy8

Re: Black Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #28950 on: June 21, 2006, 11:33:08 AM »

*playing devil's advocate*

Unless they were sistas who were "doing the damn thang" themselves, sadly, all they've probably encountered (at best) were brothas who are paralegals.  We tend to associate with folks who share similar interests as we do.  So, usually, if you're friends with homie from round da way and you're an attorney, it's more than likely homie has been your friend since you were youngins.

I hear where you're coming from, but you can rest assured that these were not the sisters from Girlfriends we're talking about here.

I feel the same way. I've gotten so used to my circle of friends and the talented tenth that I sometimes forget that there are Black folk out there that AIN'T doing their thug thizzle and have no knowledge of how we are doing our thizzle. The Black elite is becoming more and more isolated from the mainstream Black community. On one hand, stories like that make me not care, but on the other hand, I know it's not best for the long term health of cur community.

And besides that, even if you were a paralegal - thats still doing alright. Haters  ::)
And therein lays the problem. Sorry but this is my soap box. The black elite are isolated; however, they are also the ones making the decisions for the rest of black America. It is also a problem because the good black role models don't hang out in places where the people that need to see them can interact with them.  It's a catch 22. You want Blacks to succeed but when the do they forget how to communicate with the black community they left behind.

Young with the deep commentary as usual.  No doubt no doubt. I agree, we (all of us in this thread) are effectively pulling away from the nexus of our community, but at the same time, we do so in order to better the community as a whole.  But it seems we can't better the community when we're in the middle of it like everybody else.  Like Jay-Z said:

and I can't help the poor if I'm one of them
so I got rich and gave back, to me that's the win-win

:) Brings a smile to my face when I see a jigga quote.

I know what i'm up against
We as [black folks] must decide what's most impor-tant

THE BLUE SWEATER

• Sr. Citizen
  • Home of the Blue Sweater
    • AOL Instant Messenger - kingofzamundaa
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28951 on: June 21, 2006, 11:33:57 AM »

*playing devil's advocate*

Unless they were sistas who were "doing the damn thang" themselves, sadly, all they've probably encountered (at best) were brothas who are paralegals.  We tend to associate with folks who share similar interests as we do.  So, usually, if you're friends with homie from round da way and you're an attorney, it's more than likely homie has been your friend since you were youngins.

I hear where you're coming from, but you can rest assured that these were not the sisters from Girlfriends we're talking about here.

I feel the same way. I've gotten so used to my circle of friends and the talented tenth that I sometimes forget that there are Black folk out there that AIN'T doing their thug thizzle and have no knowledge of how we are doing our thizzle. The Black elite is becoming more and more isolated from the mainstream Black community. On one hand, stories like that make me not care, but on the other hand, I know it's not best for the long term health of cur community.

And besides that, even if you were a paralegal - thats still doing alright. Haters  ::)
And therein lays the problem. Sorry but this is my soap box. The black elite are isolated; however, they are also the ones making the decisions for the rest of black America. It is also a problem because the good black role models don't hang out in places where the people that need to see them can interact with them.  It's a catch 22. You want Blacks to succeed but when the do they forget how to communicate with the black community they left behind.

Young with the deep commentary as usual.  No doubt no doubt. I agree, we (all of us in this thread) are effectively pulling away from the nexus of our community, but at the same time, we do so in order to better the community as a whole.  But it seems we can't better the community when we're in the middle of it like everybody else.  Like Jay-Z said:

and I can't help the poor if I'm one of them
so I got rich and gave back, to me that's the win-win

Tell that to Bea Gaddy in Baltimore.
UVA Class of 2009

Find out just what people will submit to, and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them..  The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.

-Fredrick Douglass

OES_Tiff

• Sr. Citizen
  • The "sole" reason I got myself into this crap!!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28952 on: June 21, 2006, 11:37:07 AM »
Tell me about it.  I just had this "crabs in a barrel" conversation last night....  Yesterday I was conversing on the telephone with a guy that I had met in NY approximately 6 months ago.  When I first met him, I didn't tell him that I was half-studying for the LSAT.  Once I took the LSAT I told him.  He seemed supportive of my decision to pursue a law degree.  Once I told him that I was accepted though, the beast came out.  The calls slowed down, he started making smart remarks, I'm like what the heck?  At first I thought that he was pissed that I would be moving to NY where he is and that maybe he thought that I was going to crowd his space    :-\...Then yesterday he's like "soooooooo, your moving to NY to throw your life away huh?"  I'm like WTF??    Where did that come from?  He goes on to this spill about the city that never sleeps and the distractions but that's BS.  I honestly believe that he doesn't want to see a Sister come up.  Of all the things to say to me, he chose that.  He could've talked about the terrible weather, the cost of living, the crowded streets, e.t.c.  But he rather attack me and my aspirations.  I'm like daaaaaaaaaag a Sister can't win.   

faith2005

« Reply #28953 on: June 21, 2006, 11:43:03 AM »
i don't really understand. why is saying going to law school in new york will be a distraction mean that he's trying to hold you back? from the way you told the story it sounds like he's saying going to law school in new york will lead to you dropping out b/c of all the distractions--that just seems to speak of someone who isn't motivated themselves.

OES_Tiff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28954 on: June 21, 2006, 11:49:13 AM »
i don't really understand. why is saying going to law school in new york will be a distraction mean that he's trying to hold you back? from the way you told the story it sounds like he's saying going to law school in new york will lead to you dropping out b/c of all the distractions--that just seems to speak of someone who isn't motivated themselves.

He's a freaking HATER is all.  Did I mention that originally I am from NY?  The lights didn't distract me then.  It's more like a been there done that with me and NY and he knows this.

He's a loser and I deleted the number!!!

2Lacoste

• Sr. Citizen
  • Johan Santana for President
    • View Profile
« Reply #28955 on: June 21, 2006, 11:50:54 AM »
Tell me about it.  I just had this "crabs in a barrel" conversation last night....  Yesterday I was conversing on the telephone with a guy that I had met in NY approximately 6 months ago.  When I first met him, I didn't tell him that I was half-studying for the LSAT.  Once I took the LSAT I told him.  He seemed supportive of my decision to pursue a law degree.  Once I told him that I was accepted though, the beast came out.  The calls slowed down, he started making smart remarks, I'm like what the heck?  At first I thought that he was pissed that I would be moving to NY where he is and that maybe he thought that I was going to crowd his space    :-\...Then yesterday he's like "soooooooo, your moving to NY to throw your life away huh?"  I'm like WTF??    Where did that come from?  He goes on to this spill about the city that never sleeps and the distractions but that's BS.  I honestly believe that he doesn't want to see a Sister come up.  Of all the things to say to me, he chose that.  He could've talked about the terrible weather, the cost of living, the crowded streets, e.t.c.  But he rather attack me and my aspirations.  I'm like daaaaaaaaaag a Sister can't win.   

Messing with them lames...You shoulda just kept your behind in the flirt thread with me...lol   ;)
Mets will take the NL Pennant.

George Jefferson²

• Sr. Citizen
  • Suck on my salty chocolate balls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28956 on: June 21, 2006, 11:51:12 AM »

He's a freaking HATER is all.  Did I mention that originally I am from NY?  The lights didn't distract me then.  It's more like a been there done that with me and NY and he knows this.

You go girl!
Put 'em in yo mouth!

Young Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-More Careful
    • View Profile
« Reply #28957 on: June 21, 2006, 11:53:03 AM »

He's just mad because he knows I'm out here somewhere ready to take his girl  ;D ;D ;D

OES_Tiff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28958 on: June 21, 2006, 11:57:51 AM »

Messing with them lames...You shoulda just kept your behind in the flirt thread with me...lol   ;)

Just tell me when babes.   ;) 

OES_Tiff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28959 on: June 21, 2006, 11:59:12 AM »

He's just mad because he knows I'm out here somewhere ready to take his girl  ;D ;D ;D

Oh is that riiiiiiiiiight?   :-*