Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Why are the Newbies scared to speak up?

They prefer to Lurk.
 16 (34.8%)
They're not, they're just on another website.
 4 (8.7%)
The Board is too cliquish.
 10 (21.7%)
There's nothing interesting to talk about.
 2 (4.3%)
There's nobody interesting to talk to.
 2 (4.3%)
Not enough Board moderation.
 4 (8.7%)
Newbies?  What Newbies?
 8 (17.4%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Black Law Student Discussion Board  (Read 1678186 times)

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Black Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #28940 on: June 21, 2006, 10:49:09 AM »
Thanks for posting Sands.  The light brotha isn't cut slack anywhere.

Unfortunately we as a people have crab mentality.  We are quick to pull each other down when we see one of us achieving success.  The green eyed monster is quite strong and powerful -- think Anakin Skywalker and look where that got him.  But no matter what the Jedi will survive. 

Did the sistah make any comments when you let it be know that you were an attorney and not a paralegal?

While crab mentality is often present, it probably wouldn't have been very funny if he called Sands a partner, or the attorney general. Humor, black or otherwise, is at its best when destructive, imo.

good point.

which is why I figured he moved on to the other table to talk about somebody with more material.  Like, man this cat is just an old boring straight shooter, nothing funny here.  Moving on...

but not even trippin off the comedian, he had a job to do.  its those sisters who had me trippin. I felt like I had to say "yes, black people can be lawyers.  You ain't know?"

"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Hybrid Vigor

• Sr. Citizen
  • prestigious
    • View Profile
« Reply #28941 on: June 21, 2006, 10:49:57 AM »
I talk to and interact with so many cats like ya'll everyday that I guess, in my mind, there's no question that black folks can and are doing big things.  It's just second nature to me, but being around some cats with no experience or knowledge of that context I guess I got a reality check last night on the expectation level of other black folk outside this small circle that we're all a part of.  Kinda took me back home to KC for a second.  :-\

I feel the same way. I've gotten so used to my circle of friends and the talented tenth that I sometimes forget that there are Black folk out there that AIN'T doing their thug thizzle and have no knowledge of how we are doing our thizzle. The Black elite is becoming more and more isolated from the mainstream Black community. On one hand, stories like that make me not care, but on the other hand, I know it's not best for the long term health of cur community.

And besides that, even if you were a paralegal - thats still doing alright. Haters  ::)
Die Luft der Freiheit weht

George Jefferson²

• Sr. Citizen
  • Suck on my salty chocolate balls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28942 on: June 21, 2006, 10:51:45 AM »
Thanks for posting Sands.  The light brotha isn't cut slack anywhere.

Unfortunately we as a people have crab mentality.  We are quick to pull each other down when we see one of us achieving success.  The green eyed monster is quite strong and powerful -- think Anakin Skywalker and look where that got him.  But no matter what the Jedi will survive. 

Did the sistah make any comments when you let it be know that you were an attorney and not a paralegal?

While crab mentality is often present, it probably wouldn't have been very funny if he called Sands a partner, or the attorney general. Humor, black or otherwise, is at its best when destructive, imo.

good point.

which is why I figured he moved on to the other table to talk about somebody with more material.  Like, man this cat is just an old boring straight shooter, nothing funny here.  Moving on...

but not even trippin off the comedian, he had a job to do.  its those sisters who had me trippin. I felt like I had to say "yes, black people can be lawyers.  You ain't know?"

You can get the last laugh as you pass their handcuffed brothers and boyfriends whenever you visit the courthouse :)

j/k
Put 'em in yo mouth!

crazy8

« Reply #28943 on: June 21, 2006, 10:52:32 AM »
Thanks for posting Sands.  The light brotha isn't cut slack anywhere.

Unfortunately we as a people have crab mentality.  We are quick to pull each other down when we see one of us achieving success.  The green eyed monster is quite strong and powerful -- think Anakin Skywalker and look where that got him.  But no matter what the Jedi will survive.  

Naw they didn't have anything (loud) to say after I said that, but a few of my homegirls who were with me told me after we left that they started checkin a brother out at that point.  

Thanks but no thanks.  You didn't think I was nothing but a paralegal so keep it movin, chick.

But I wasn't even trippin off it on a personal level.  What bugs me out is how come black folk don't expect other black folk to be successful?  I mean, you shoulda seen these sisters' conviction when they just knew with 100% certainty that a black man working at a law firm can only be a paralegal and could not possibly have anything to do with the law.  They were too sure. It was like saying the sky is blue.

*playing devil's advocate*

Unless they were sistas who were "doing the damn thang" themselves, sadly, all they've probably encountered (at best) were brothas who are paralegals.  We tend to associate with folks who share similar interests as we do.  So, usually, if you're friends with homie from round da way and you're an attorney, it's more than likely homie has been your friend since you were youngins.

mivida2k

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do I Really Need to Answer This Question
    • View Profile
« Reply #28944 on: June 21, 2006, 10:53:49 AM »
I figured they were checking you out afterwards.  Good for you for not giving them the time of day.

I think that sometimes it goes beyond expectation.  There is also the attitude that they didn't meet their personal goals of success and therefore no one else should.  

We have to remember that not everyone has the intellectual ability to sucessfully complete college let alone law school.  Also, not everyone wants to go to college, not everyone wants to be a doctor, lawyer, or teacher.  We all have different definitions of success.

Sands, you are getting ready to join a very elite group, African-American lawyers.  You will have more such "lounge" experiences in the future.  Take advantage of the situation and educate and inspire the community.  
The president's approval rating has dropped to 33 percent, matching his low in May. His handling of nearly every issue, from the Iraq war to foreign policy, contributed to the president's decline around the nation, even in the Republican-friendly South.

Young Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-More Careful
    • View Profile
« Reply #28945 on: June 21, 2006, 10:56:33 AM »
I feel the same way. I've gotten so used to my circle of friends and the talented tenth that I sometimes forget that there are Black folk out there that AIN'T doing their thug thizzle and have no knowledge of how we are doing our thizzle. The Black elite is becoming more and more isolated from the mainstream Black community. On one hand, stories like that make me not care, but on the other hand, I know it's not best for the long term health of cur community.

And besides that, even if you were a paralegal - thats still doing alright. Haters  ::)
And therein lays the problem. Sorry but this is my soap box. The black elite are isolated; however, they are also the ones making the decisions for the rest of black America. It is also a problem because the good black role models don't hang out in places where the people that need to see them can interact with them.  It's a catch 22. You want Blacks to succeed but when the do they forget how to communicate with the black community they left behind.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28946 on: June 21, 2006, 11:03:17 AM »
I talk to and interact with so many cats like ya'll everyday that I guess, in my mind, there's no question that black folks can and are doing big things.  It's just second nature to me, but being around some cats with no experience or knowledge of that context I guess I got a reality check last night on the expectation level of other black folk outside this small circle that we're all a part of.  Kinda took me back home to KC for a second.  :-\

LOL I was waiting for that comment!  HA!
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28947 on: June 21, 2006, 11:25:44 AM »

*playing devil's advocate*

Unless they were sistas who were "doing the damn thang" themselves, sadly, all they've probably encountered (at best) were brothas who are paralegals.  We tend to associate with folks who share similar interests as we do.  So, usually, if you're friends with homie from round da way and you're an attorney, it's more than likely homie has been your friend since you were youngins.

I hear where you're coming from, but you can rest assured that these were not the sisters from Girlfriends we're talking about here.

And therein lays the problem. Sorry but this is my soap box. The black elite are isolated; however, they are also the ones making the decisions for the rest of black America. It is also a problem because the good black role models don't hang out in places where the people that need to see them can interact with them.  It's a catch 22. You want Blacks to succeed but when the do they forget how to communicate with the black community they left behind.

Young with the deep commentary as usual.  No doubt no doubt. I agree, we (all of us in this thread) are effectively pulling away from the nexus of our community, but at the same time, we do so in order to better the community as a whole.  But it seems we can't better the community when we're in the middle of it like everybody else.  Like Jay-Z said:

and I can't help the poor if I'm one of them
so I got rich and gave back, to me that's the win-win
Charles H. Houston

BrerAnansi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Thread Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28948 on: June 21, 2006, 11:28:46 AM »
That's subjective..IIRC most of the people who have bettered the community in the most significant ways did so from   smack dab in the middle of the community...in the trenches so to speak...
Grrr...

Quote from: 1LCorvo
If there aren't any arguments against my claims, then I'll depart gracefully. Feel free to continue the concordant attack on my character, it's funny.

Quote from: Saxibbles
Hugs,
Look to the f-ing left.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28949 on: June 21, 2006, 11:30:54 AM »
touche
Charles H. Houston