Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Why are the Newbies scared to speak up?

They prefer to Lurk.
 16 (34.8%)
They're not, they're just on another website.
 4 (8.7%)
The Board is too cliquish.
 10 (21.7%)
There's nothing interesting to talk about.
 2 (4.3%)
There's nobody interesting to talk to.
 2 (4.3%)
Not enough Board moderation.
 4 (8.7%)
Newbies?  What Newbies?
 8 (17.4%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Black Law Student Discussion Board  (Read 1595268 times)

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
    • Black Law Students Association
Re: Black Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #28930 on: June 21, 2006, 10:27:41 AM »
BTW, Good morning all!
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

justGem

• Sr. Citizen
  • Let them eat cake!
    • View Profile
    • when i need a laugh
« Reply #28931 on: June 21, 2006, 10:28:38 AM »
Damn Sands...I've hung out in Newark (aka the jersey B-more), so I can only imagine. For future reference, you can post here: http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,65504.0.html as reason number 5,752.

Young Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-More Careful
    • View Profile
« Reply #28932 on: June 21, 2006, 10:31:43 AM »
...but I couldn't help but think about how quick those sisters, and the rest of the black folks in the room, were so quick to cut another black person down.  That stuff kinda stuck with me, you know?  How come black folks can only be paralegals?  Why was that their first reaction?  Why can't we be lawyers and law students?  

I talk to and interact with so many cats like ya'll everyday that I guess, in my mind, there's no question that black folks can and are doing big things.  It's just second nature to me, but being around some cats with no experience or knowledge of that context I guess I got a reality check last night on the expectation level of other black folk outside this small circle that we're all a part of.  Kinda took me back home to KC for a second.  :-\

Damn that was long. Anyway welcome to my world. The Negroes around my way are happy just to be in the Labor Union. It's just like that because many black folks are not doing big things but act like they are.

You should'v told him your name was Dirk Diggler  :D

mivida2k

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do I Really Need to Answer This Question
    • View Profile
« Reply #28933 on: June 21, 2006, 10:34:40 AM »
Thanks for posting Sands.  The light brotha isn't cut slack anywhere.

Unfortunately we as a people have crab mentality.  We are quick to pull each other down when we see one of us achieving success.  The green eyed monster is quite strong and powerful -- think Anakin Skywalker and look where that got him.  But no matter what the Jedi will survive.  

Did the sistah make any comments when you let it be know that you were an attorney and not a paralegal?

The president's approval rating has dropped to 33 percent, matching his low in May. His handling of nearly every issue, from the Iraq war to foreign policy, contributed to the president's decline around the nation, even in the Republican-friendly South.

George JeffersonČ

• Sr. Citizen
  • Suck on my salty chocolate balls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28934 on: June 21, 2006, 10:37:42 AM »
Thanks for posting Sands.  The light brotha isn't cut slack anywhere.

Unfortunately we as a people have crab mentality.  We are quick to pull each other down when we see one of us achieving success.  The green eyed monster is quite strong and powerful -- think Anakin Skywalker and look where that got him.  But no matter what the Jedi will survive. 

Did the sistah make any comments when you let it be know that you were an attorney and not a paralegal?

While crab mentality is often present, it probably wouldn't have been very funny if he called Sands a partner, or the attorney general. Humor, black or otherwise, is at its best when destructive, imo.
Put 'em in yo mouth!

mivida2k

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28935 on: June 21, 2006, 10:37:51 AM »
Will "white" folks ever admit that something is wrong with them.  Love the spin in the first paragraph.  

MIAMI - Melanoma may be more common in whites but the most serious form of skin cancer is deadlier in blacks and Hispanics because it is more likely to go undetected, researchers report.

Blacks are more than three times as likely as whites to be diagnosed with melanoma after it has reached a late stage, and Hispanics are nearly twice as likely, according to a University of Miami study released Monday.

Late diagnosis of melanoma generally significantly reduces the chances for survival. The survival rate for those with early detection is about 99 percent, according to the        National Cancer Institute. With later detection, the survival rate falls to between 15 and 65 percent, depending on how far the disease has spread.

The        American Cancer Society estimates that more than 10,000 people will die from skin cancer this year, nearly 80 percent of them from melanoma.

The study, published in the journal Archives of Dermatology, analyzed 1,690 melanoma cases in Miami-Dade County from 1997 through 2002.

One author of the study, Dr. Robert Kirsner, a University of Miami dermatologist, said researchers did not focus on possible causes for the disparity, but he noted that blacks and Hispanics tend to have less access to medical care.

Also, because the disease is more likely to occur in light-skinned people, many prevention and detection efforts are aimed at them, he said.

"Patients may be coming to (doctors) with some concerns, but because of the patient's ethnic or racial makeup, the doctor may put melanoma lower on the list of potential diagnoses and not evaluate it in the same way," Kirsner said.

The report reinforces the results of other nationwide cancer studies, said an outside observer, cancer epidemiologist Myles Cockburn of the University of Southern California.

While distinct types of melanoma may afflict different ethnicities, the main problem is the failure to spot signs of melanoma early, Cockburn said.

"It's a very frustrating disease because it's one of those diseases that nobody should ever die from," he said.

Of the cases studied, 70 percent involved white non-Hispanics, 29 percent were Hispanics and 2 percent were black non-Hispanics. U.S. Census figures for Miami-Dade show 19 percent of residents are white non-Hispanic, 60 percent are Hispanic and 20 percent are black non-Hispanic.

Skin cancer is the most common of all cancers, amounting to about half of all cases. It is about twice as common in men as in women and is becoming more common in children and young adults.

The president's approval rating has dropped to 33 percent, matching his low in May. His handling of nearly every issue, from the Iraq war to foreign policy, contributed to the president's decline around the nation, even in the Republican-friendly South.

mivida2k

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28936 on: June 21, 2006, 10:39:02 AM »
GJ:  Didn't Chef have his brain scrambled by the "fruity" group?

faith2005

« Reply #28937 on: June 21, 2006, 10:39:48 AM »
i like the big fat morning show in bmore much better. they're hilarious and they have people call in and talk about actual subjects--like the place of God in the lives of black people and relationship stuff. they also play better music. sometimes russ parr can just get too stupid.

I listen to the Steve Harvey morning show.

We get Steve Harvey in D.C. but Russ Parr is so much better!
I like Steve. I wish he would stop playing that horrible Beyonce song every mornin' though...

Come on over to Russ Parr, then you would hear songs by Mr. Farnsworth Bentley and Slim Thug's remix of Torn which is more like a song begging her to come back to him.

Let's not forget Whitney Houston calling in every morning Drunk and Micheal Jackson spreading love to his fans LOL

They need to pay me for this Advertisement!!!

George JeffersonČ

• Sr. Citizen
  • Suck on my salty chocolate balls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28938 on: June 21, 2006, 10:40:13 AM »
GJ:  Didn't Chef have his brain scrambled by the "fruity" group?

Pretty much. He met an unpleasant end :(
Put 'em in yo mouth!

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
    • Black Law Students Association
« Reply #28939 on: June 21, 2006, 10:44:21 AM »
Thanks for posting Sands.  The light brotha isn't cut slack anywhere.

Unfortunately we as a people have crab mentality.  We are quick to pull each other down when we see one of us achieving success.  The green eyed monster is quite strong and powerful -- think Anakin Skywalker and look where that got him.  But no matter what the Jedi will survive.  

Naw they didn't have anything (loud) to say after I said that, but a few of my homegirls who were with me told me after we left that they started checkin a brother out at that point.  

Thanks but no thanks.  You didn't think I was nothing but a paralegal so keep it movin, chick.

But I wasn't even trippin off it on a personal level.  What bugs me out is how come black folk don't expect other black folk to be successful?  I mean, you shoulda seen these sisters' conviction when they just knew with 100% certainty that a black man working at a law firm can only be a paralegal and could not possibly have anything to do with the law.  They were too sure. It was like saying the sky is blue.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston