Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Why are the Newbies scared to speak up?

They prefer to Lurk.
 16 (34.8%)
They're not, they're just on another website.
 4 (8.7%)
The Board is too cliquish.
 10 (21.7%)
There's nothing interesting to talk about.
 2 (4.3%)
There's nobody interesting to talk to.
 2 (4.3%)
Not enough Board moderation.
 4 (8.7%)
Newbies?  What Newbies?
 8 (17.4%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Black Law Student Discussion Board  (Read 1688950 times)

ruskiegirl

Re: Black Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #1390 on: September 21, 2004, 12:03:23 AM »
Merci beaucoup, SheLaw. Unfortunately, i have no opinions on the whole Kobe, Laci P., Shandra L. thing. Maybe I will start a conversation of my own...

hmmm...What areas of law are you ppl planning on choosing. Myself, i would really be interested in Administrative Law dealing with Business and/or Tax Law.

Just a little advise from a 1L: I think it's okay to know your interests before you go to law school, but you have to have a very open mind when you get there.  It's really not pertinent that you know what area of law you would like to go into unless you plan to pursue a joint degree program.  If not, then it's best to let the law school experience guide you.  Don't limit yourself to what you THINK you want to do.  Go to lectures on a variety of topics.  Try to get a 1L summer position in a firm that focuses in more than one area of law.  Get a sense of your options and then make up your mind.  Otherwise, you risk going into something you will later find you dislike.  I've heard these words of caution from more than one attorney.

Ragnar Danneskjold

• Sr. Citizen
  • Atlas Shrugged...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: September 21, 2004, 12:21:22 AM »
Yeah, i've gotten that advice also from different sources. It's just that i have looked at some of the concentration areas of the schools that i may be applying to, and then i think of what i might be doing after i graduate, and i just can't see myself practicing in some of those areas. Family law, Health Law, Criminal Law...they just don't feel like they would fit me in an everyday career setting. Some because i have no interest in the underlying field (Health Law) others because i am not sure i could deal with some of the frustrations that i have heard come with those types of practices (Family Law, Criminal, especially as a PD or LA.) So, yes, i will keep an open mind, but there would have to be a really big something happen in order for me to specialize in certain types of law.

thnx for the reply
I'm an NYC boy, 153/3.3

ATTENDING: Santa Clara w/$$$
Accepted: Marquette($), Villanova, Howard, Univ. San Francisco($) 
Out: Boston College, Temple, Michigan State Univ.
Wait List: Seattle Univ., Univ. Pittsburgh, Rutgers-Newark, Syracuse

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: September 21, 2004, 12:35:37 AM »
Merci beaucoup, SheLaw. Unfortunately, i have no opinions on the whole Kobe, Laci P., Shandra L. thing. Maybe I will start a conversation of my own...

hmmm...What areas of law are you ppl planning on choosing. Myself, i would really be interested in Administrative Law dealing with Business and/or Tax Law.

hey, ragnar danneskjold.
i'm new to this board too...but welcome, man.
i'm at (new york law school) down on worth st. goin for J.D. and M.B.A. i go to CUNY in queens from time to time.

some friends of mine know exactly what they want to focus in on and i pretty much am zeroing in on what i want...BUT it's absolutly true...feel out all lectures...check out seminars outside of class...take what you want and leave what you want...soak it all in though...but if you know already...that's cool...go with the flow.
a law-prof. once told me...

"once you know what and who you are...the rest is just work"

as for kobe, peterson, levy...it's "court tv stuff"...that gets to me sometimes...because of the repetitive media...i can take it or leave it..."but is fun to confab upon"

what are your thoughts about nyc's night life?
and atmosphere these days?

i wish kerry and bush would leave town quickly...they are messing up the traffic flow...they both belong in fl.and gulf coast states...or near the pa. rivers. where people are hurting...

again, welcome! 8)

px.o.rsta.
If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare

ruskiegirl

« Reply #1393 on: September 21, 2004, 01:08:54 AM »

hey, ragnar danneskjold.
i'm new to this board too...but welcome, man.
i'm at (new york law school) down on worth st. goin for J.D. and M.B.A. i go to CUNY in queens from time to time.

some friends of mine know exactly what they want to focus in on and i pretty much am zeroing in on what i want...BUT it's absolutly true...feel out all lectures...check out seminars outside of class...take what you want and leave what you want...soak it all in though...but if you know already...that's cool...go with the flow.
a law-prof. once told me...

"once you know what and who you are...the rest is just work"

as for kobe, peterson, levy...it's "court tv stuff"...that gets to me sometimes...because of the repetitive media...i can take it or leave it..."but is fun to confab upon"

what are your thoughts about nyc's night life?
and atmosphere these days?

i wish kerry and bush would leave town quickly...they are messing up the traffic flow...they both belong in fl.and gulf coast states...or near the pa. rivers. where people are hurting...

again, welcome! 8)

px.o.rsta.
Hey, I'm from Florida, and we don't want G Dub's ass there either.  Let's send him to Antarctica or something.

Regal_Muse

« Reply #1394 on: September 21, 2004, 01:20:33 AM »
Right now I'm very interested in pursuing International Law, Mergers & Acquisitions, and maybe Litigation. All of my mentors have advised me to keep an open mind because my interest may change once I start taking classes. I know for sure that I definitely want to do something with international law. Who knows. I have to consult my husband on possible law careers  ;)

Here is a question for everyone. Where do you see yourself practicing? I'm very interested in going to the east coast even though I'm a Cali girl. My spirit is really moving me to go to the east coast for law school and to possibly live. I have a feeling that I will have so many opportunities on the east coast versus Cali.

ruskiegirl

« Reply #1395 on: September 21, 2004, 01:25:13 AM »
I would love to move to either LA or Miami.

CaliToD.C.

« Reply #1396 on: September 21, 2004, 02:07:03 AM »
Even though the Bay Area is the greatest place on Eath, I feel that there is a whole lotta *&^% I can get in in D.C. or Chicago.

CaliToD.C.

« Reply #1397 on: September 21, 2004, 02:11:20 AM »
Has anyone ever considered not working as a lawyer but just going to law school for the education. Im really leaning to the area of policy reform.

MsJay9

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm never down.....I'm either Up or Getting Up!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - msjy9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: September 21, 2004, 08:48:33 AM »
If you feel you gained alot of info at the forum then you shouldnt waste your time going again...SO you should be straight...It's funny because when I tell people I'll be out of town this weekend, they think im going to the Classic.. I am glad the Black Folk in the Nati are doing something positive...That city is kinda depressing...Shooting at the BFR, The riots, ghetoo-assed black folks ( I know they are everywhere but they a lil mo hood in the Nati LOL) crazy ass cops, cancellation of the Jazz Festival.. Is it still under that Boycott?

Dang....U don't have to get out on my city......It's a pretty big city and some of the things that happen are crazy...But that BFR shooting was the result of a man having a sucka attack....not really an exapmle of the violence related to the city....The other stuff, well you know if you keep playing with fire eventually u get burned.....But the "ghetoo-assed black folk" as u put it are everywhere I don't think Cincinnati is too far up on that....especially since I'm talking to someone from Dayton.....OK the gold teeth thing may be a little out there, I'll admit...but I didn't know that everybody wasn't doing that until I was out of town and I told somebody I was from Cinti and they was like "where yo gold teeth".....I don't know how the boycott thing is anymore, I was all for it at first but I haven't seen the efforts going in the right direction.  It was a whole bunch of Black people loosing their jobs and the city wasn't really looking into the demands of the boycoting committee

Its all Ohio love MsJay9... I'm cracking up about the gold teeth thing...How are u studying for the LSATs by the way...?

Ps Just got back from the Chicago law forum...It was "AIGHT"

I've been doing self study...but that's starting to stress me out...I was suppose to take the Oct test but now I'm taking the Dec test...I've been thinkin about doin Testmasters since that's the best one I've heard aout thus far.  But I've been hustling trying to get the money forit and its crazy...I'll see how that goes....Hey I heard they had some kind of prep course at UD....what do u know about that?
If you always do what you always did then you'll always get what you always got!

MsJay9

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm never down.....I'm either Up or Getting Up!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - msjy9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: September 21, 2004, 08:58:29 AM »
 :)Welcome Ragnar Danneskjold....... Hope to get to know u soon
If you always do what you always did then you'll always get what you always got!