Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Why are the Newbies scared to speak up?

They prefer to Lurk.
 16 (34.8%)
They're not, they're just on another website.
 4 (8.7%)
The Board is too cliquish.
 10 (21.7%)
There's nothing interesting to talk about.
 2 (4.3%)
There's nobody interesting to talk to.
 2 (4.3%)
Not enough Board moderation.
 4 (8.7%)
Newbies?  What Newbies?
 8 (17.4%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Black Law Student Discussion Board  (Read 1639009 times)

HBCU.EDU

Re: Black Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #1370 on: September 18, 2004, 08:45:01 PM »
1ST Ls! how many blacks are on law review at your school?

Lavia

« Reply #1371 on: September 19, 2004, 11:25:31 AM »
I think Oprah has views that are similar to mine. She's victim oriented, if you watch enough of her shows. And she's about helping women. So women in general, and victims 2nd, be they female, black, male, or white.

I don't see black/white as much as I used to. I mostly see gender inequalities now.

Favorite class: Torts
Least favorite: Property
# of briefs: I swear, I can't get into regular briefing, so I book brief mostly. But there's a lot of notes in my books, including the gist of the case written at the top, definitions written out, and facts bulleted and/or numbered, stuff like that. It's quite worked in.

So how many? Dunno. EVERY case for each class. Gotta run. I entertained my main dating partner late last night, and I gotta study before I fall asleep again. I am definitely creeping as a 1L. Gotta get my groove back!

Lavia

Regal_Muse

« Reply #1372 on: September 19, 2004, 02:47:53 PM »
I was a huge fan of Oprah until she had Barry Manilow on her show. BARRY MANILOW!!!!!!!!!! He's a LOSER-FACE! The poster boy for White America and corny music. At first I couldn't believe it until I went to her web site. In our next race draft, Oprah will be the first to be traded.  :D  A fellow LSDer convinced me that she was long gone to the black cause. Yes Oprah is consider a humanitarian but what about her people? She's worth 2 billion dollars and has autonomy over her show. She could bring much needed attention to several issues in the black community such as educational inequality. Does she do that? No, she rather have a show on decorating and Barry Manilow.....GOOD LORD!

Has anyone noticed that the majority of her topics are catered to middle-class white women? Rarely does anyone see a woman of color on her show or in the audience. I admire Oprah for everything that she has accomplished but at the same time if I was in her position of power and prestige I would utilize my resources and help MY people. I also understand that Oprah probably has never related to the black community.  Ironically, Oprah had very humble beginnings and should understand what it is like to struggle as a black woman coming  from poverty. I can't really knock the woman though. Oprah can do what she wants when she wants.

upwardbound

• AOL Instant Messenger - theamchwa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: September 19, 2004, 06:15:38 PM »
As someone who has swung the entire Oprah love/hate pendulum. I can say that I still think Oprah is the stuff.
I wrote a paper on the Mammy figure in the media, and I had to mention her of course, because it is part of her appeal to the masses. She's a best friend, one who is not threatening because she's a woman AND she won't steal your man (she's black which is unattractive, and fat, which is unattractive)

Do a google search and you'll find some intersting points of view.

On Bernie Mac, they joked about her saying "You saying that I can't get a high score in this game is like saying Oprah can't make white people cry."

When it come to what blacks should do for the "black community" I have enjoyed reading all of your responses. It's just interesting that nobody ever says Payton Manning isn't "bout it"cause he doesn't help , or Barbara Streissand (who had humble beginings) should do more for Jews. poor whites....just a thought

CaliToD.C.

« Reply #1374 on: September 19, 2004, 07:48:24 PM »

When it come to what blacks should do for the "black community" I have enjoyed reading all of your responses. It's just interesting that nobody ever says Payton Manning isn't "bout it"cause he doesn't help , or Barbara Streissand (who had humble beginings) should do more for Jews. poor whites....just a thought

You can't even draw similarities between the two groups. Southern whites and Jews have advanced at a much further rate than African-Americans primarily due to the harsh degree of institutional racism that was inflicted upon Blacks in this counrty.

upwardbound

• AOL Instant Messenger - theamchwa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: September 19, 2004, 08:27:18 PM »

You can't even draw similarities between the two groups. Southern whites and Jews have advanced at a much further rate than African-Americans primarily due to the harsh degree of institutional racism that was inflicted upon Blacks in this counrty.

yeah, I don't buy that their social ills are the same.
All I'm saying is that African Americans seem to be the first and only group that is given and decides to carry a sense of obligation to their racial group. This occurs even when those sub-groups of African Americans are also advanced,

i.e. an AA who has made it big as an art dealer,is questioned about giving back to "the community" and responds that he is volunteering to teach AA children (who happen to come from well-off families) about high art.

Media outlets as well seem to love to ask accomplished African Americans what they are going to do to help the African American community.  No other social group is mafe to feel "obligated". No matter what the field, (health, education, finances), when and african American becomes accomplished, there seems to be n unwriiten rule that applies only to us, that we have to "give back".

This is doesn't have to be good or bad, just one of those things that makes you go hmmmmmmmm...

Regal_Muse

« Reply #1376 on: September 20, 2004, 02:06:06 PM »
Good morning Black LSDers, groupies, and lurkers. How is everyone this fine Monday morning? Ready to start the week? Those taking the lsats next week, are you having panic attacks yet? Hahahaha. ;)

Here is the Monday Morning Topic---> KOBE!

Did anyone read the police transcripts? Thoughts opinions? I personally think Kobe is a piece of scum with no social skills. I actually feel really bad for his wife and child. If she stays with Kobe after everything, I will be very surprised.

SheLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: September 20, 2004, 02:31:58 PM »
I haven't been keeping up with the Kobe drama.  Could someone give me a summary of what's been going on... I didn't know he had a child, when did that happen?
It's the most wonderful time of the year!

CaliToD.C.

« Reply #1378 on: September 20, 2004, 04:15:54 PM »
BIG UPS TO KOBE!!!!

After 400 years of opression a Black man finally beats the system. Not that I think he's guilty but Black man have been lynched for far much more minor offenses when it comes to those white women.

But for real @#!* KOBE!!

I aint never liked his ballhoggin ass in the first place. I hoped he learned his lesson and will stay away from them snowflakes if he knows whats good for him. I'm also disapointed about the way he handled himself on those tapes with the police. I know he was raised in Italy and all but he should have learned a little more street smarts along the way playing basketball. Iverson would have never went out like that.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: September 20, 2004, 04:30:54 PM »
hey what's up
i'm a student at new york law school working for my J.D. and also an M.B.A...i know there's been a lotta discssn. re. "good" law schools throughout this board and that's cool...good to share info.

i'm now going full time at nyls...i gotta say it must be tough...at least night life in some of the other areas i've been reading about on these threads...ohio. s.cali.
"but where i am diverse culture is the culture..."

libraries are the key to me...and a good night lif1e...but the night life is on hold for a while. smackin the books for now and  a while.

so, getting back to libraries... while harvard, yale, howard may be tops sometimes it's good to have access to nearby courthouses...and other law school facilities...CUNY, COLUMBIA, and NYU....plus, the almighty "hands on experience"...so i say anyone thinking about going to law school...think about nyc...

anyway i've read through 1-68 of this dic board and ja, some words are insightful and prime point but man, some are flat wack...
keep up the good topics cuz there are many as i've seen...and as you get me...i'll get you..

rasta px out.  8)

If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare