Law School Discussion

Poll

Why are the Newbies scared to speak up?

They prefer to Lurk.
20 (37%)
They're not, they're just on another website.
4 (7.4%)
The Board is too cliquish.
10 (18.5%)
There's nothing interesting to talk about.
3 (5.6%)
There's nobody interesting to talk to.
2 (3.7%)
Not enough Board moderation.
4 (7.4%)
Newbies?  What Newbies?
11 (20.4%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Black Law Student Discussion Board

Regal_Muse

Re: Black Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #6130 on: January 11, 2005, 11:04:42 AM »
Mob,

If you look at the AVERAGE fat person's diet, it consists of a bunch of junk. Of course there are some big people out there who eat very healthy. However the norm is that these people have really bad food choices, which explains why they are so overweight. People need to stop making excuses for them. No one gets obese overnight. Personally if I saw myself starting to gain weight, I would do something about it instead of sitting around feeling sorry for myself.

HBCU- You should really start eating healthy. Did you know that your sex life would be so much better if you incorporate more fiber and leafy green veggies into your diet?

Regal, I just wonder how well acquainted you are with the AVERAGE fat person's diet.  Since you are so quick to condemn them for their lack of discipline, I doubt you know many.  So, I'm not sure you are aware of the normal diet for an obese person, which is why I find it difficult to buy into what you are saying.  I know you've seen some fat people at McDonald's, but I'm sure you've seen some Black people at McDonald's too - does that mean most of us eat there?

Feel feel free to ASSume what you like. I'm speaking from personal experience and what doctors in my family have told me. Of course there are exceptions to the rule, but half of america isn't fat because they are eating leafy green vegetables. Obviously this subject bothers you to the point of being emotional about it. My apologies if you don't like what I have to say but it's the truth hurts.

CaliToD.C.

« Reply #6131 on: January 11, 2005, 12:24:45 PM »
Damn Dismissed!

Yo I applied to 12 schools so far but I have 14 LSAC reports. I don'y know where else to apply. I done hit up every school in DC and damn near NY. Im thinking maybe I'll apply to two in the Pacific Northwest. Any suggestions?

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6132 on: January 11, 2005, 12:42:11 PM »
Damn Dismissed!

Yo I applied to 12 schools so far but I have 14 LSAC reports. I don'y know where else to apply. I done hit up every school in DC and damn near NY. Im thinking maybe I'll apply to two in the Pacific Northwest. Any suggestions?

apply to UVA and Michigan. I think you've got a good shot at one.

CaliToD.C.

« Reply #6133 on: January 11, 2005, 12:57:36 PM »
Damn Dismissed!

I might have some ideas, but I don't know your numbers. Why the Pacific Northwest?

I don't know but I really liked Washington and Oregon when I visited them but 9 months of rain might be kinda depressing. Im really waiting on fee waivers but Im thinking about breaking bread to Cornell and Fordaham. I was thinking about USC or UCLA but I despise LA so much I wouldn't be able to make it through three years of that. Maybe I should apply to one of the UC's since I have resident status but I HATE them ALL. Davis is cool but its in Davis. Damn I just need two more schools.

Regal_Muse

« Reply #6134 on: January 11, 2005, 01:20:01 PM »
Dimissed? LOL. Yeah that'll be the day.  ::)

Anywhodiddle. Has anyone started school yet? My classes started today.

Victor

• View Profile
« Reply #6135 on: January 11, 2005, 03:08:16 PM »
Mobell ever since I saw Shallow Hal i've made it my mission to fight against the evil doers who blast hateful beams at overweight people.

« Reply #6136 on: January 11, 2005, 03:21:33 PM »
Damn Dismissed!

Have you thought about applying to Penn?

« Reply #6137 on: January 11, 2005, 03:31:35 PM »
Mobell ever since I saw Shallow Hal i've made it my mission to fight against the evil doers who blast hateful beams at overweight people.

I haven't seen that yet.  Was it good?

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #6138 on: January 11, 2005, 03:51:16 PM »
I know we have already discussed this before, but I couldn't resist sharing this article.  I'm not quite cynical enough to think the aid in the tsunami disaster is a product of racism - I think the West is desensitized to civil war in Africa, while the earthquake and tsunami are a bit more "novel" (this presents its own problems, though) - and I also think the aid was slow in coming at first.  Anyway, the quote at the end rekindles my love for Tony Blair  :):

Congo, with 4 million dead, watches the world aid Asia

By Bryan Mealer, Associated Press  |  January 8, 2005

KINSHASA, Congo -- Even now, as thousands of children die each week from drinking dirty water and not having enough food, and the people of once-thriving communities hide like the hunted in the forests, the Congolese expect little from the world's big spenders.

But as Congo watches the global scramble to raise billions in aid for victims of the Dec. 26 tsunami, many here wonder why Asian suffering stirs action while African suffering is greeted largely with apathy.

The International Rescue Committee, based in New York, said nearly 4 million people have been killed in Congo since the start of five-year war in 1998, most from war-induced disease and starvation. Fighting persists in the county's east, the epicenter of the war, and 1,000 are dying each day, half of them younger than 5.

The tsunami, in comparison, has killed an estimated 150,000 as of yesterday. The disaster was a sudden scourge of nature, while Congo's toll has accumulated slowly, at the hands of man.

"Over the last six years, millions of people have died here from this war," said Kudura Kasongo, spokesman for President Joseph Kabila. "In Asia, they're dying too, and getting money. Why is this?"

"In Asia, Westerners are also dying alongside them, perhaps that's why," Kasongo said.

Led by $810 million from Australia, the victims of the Indian Ocean tragedy have received a total of nearly $4 billion in pledges.

In 2004, Humanitarian aid for Congo was $188 million, roughly $3 per person, the International Rescue Committee said.

"Asia's crisis is temporary, but here we have a permanent catastrophe," said Ingele Ifoto, a government minister who recently headed a program to return 32,000 displaced people from Congo's dense northern Equateur Province. Many were found roaming naked through the wilds, their clothing rotted off.

On Thursday, Gordon Brown, head of Britain's Treasury, called on the world's richest nations to contribute an additional $50 billion to the world's poorest countries, particularly in Africa. Prime Minister Tony Blair described the situation in Africa as "the equivalent of a man-made, preventable tsunami every week." 

That *&^% in the congo is just crazy. hey, it's a war. They can just stop fighting to stop the killing. I wouldn't send them fools a dime either. savages.  ;D 

Regal_Muse

« Reply #6139 on: January 11, 2005, 03:54:51 PM »
Foreign aid isn't going to help alleviate the war in the Congo. Those people are killing each other.