Law School Discussion

Poll

Why are the Newbies scared to speak up?

They prefer to Lurk.
20 (37%)
They're not, they're just on another website.
4 (7.4%)
The Board is too cliquish.
10 (18.5%)
There's nothing interesting to talk about.
3 (5.6%)
There's nobody interesting to talk to.
2 (3.7%)
Not enough Board moderation.
4 (7.4%)
Newbies?  What Newbies?
11 (20.4%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Black Law Student Discussion Board

NYBound05

Re: Black Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #5980 on: January 08, 2005, 11:56:45 PM »

Living with your mom seems like a good financial option, but trust me, your sanity as a 1L is much more important than that kind of financial savings.  

HA!  Ain't that the truth!

Words of wisdom foreal, which is precisely why I wish August would get here just a litttttttttle faster...

(Can you tell I still live at home???) :-\ When I graduated from high school it seemed like the best idea ever.  Not anymore!!!  ::)

Victor

• View Profile
« Reply #5981 on: January 09, 2005, 01:47:30 AM »
I think living with your moms while attending law school is dope if she's cool. Check it . . . you dont have to worry about meals and laundry. You just have some fresh pesto ravioli while the tide is doing the works to your fresh garments and then you just work on briefing cases. But if your moms is the type thats always in your business and going through your sock draw I suggest you grab a stick and tie a ball of your clothes to it and get the steppin.

Shelaw et al. thanks for recommending Count of Monte Cristo, I just finished watching it, fantastic film. The sword fights were hot. The protagonist was crazed with revenge but at the end it came out good for him.

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5982 on: January 09, 2005, 08:57:41 AM »
About Snipes and Halle Berry:
http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,13283,00.html

Poor Halle. She can't find a good (black) man either.  ;)  She might be in the crazy category though...

ah this is because she hasn't met me yet

Lavia

« Reply #5983 on: January 09, 2005, 12:19:42 PM »
As a professional Black person, I don't feel it's my duty to help Black people. It's my duty to help PEOPLE.

Hi Lavia, what in the world are you talking about?

Smooches

Answering Regal's asinine question. Trying to open minds. My sole purpose on this stupid thread.

Lavia

« Reply #5984 on: January 09, 2005, 12:23:12 PM »
Are the Black men on this thread 'good Black men' in ya'll's book? HBCU, what about you?

::)

smujd2007

• January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #5985 on: January 09, 2005, 12:36:25 PM »

Living with your mom seems like a good financial option, but trust me, your sanity as a 1L is much more important than that kind of financial savings. 

HA! Ain't that the truth!

Words of wisdom foreal, which is precisely why I wish August would get here just a litttttttttle faster...

(Can you tell I still live at home???) :-\ When I graduated from high school it seemed like the best idea ever. Not anymore!!! ::)

It does seem like a good idea, but as much as you love yeor parents, you need space from them.  But its so funny because when you do get space from them, you miss them. It's very circular--if you don't believe me now, you'll see what I mean later.

SWB05, I was where you are right now last year.  August is going to drag, especially after school lets out.  But try to enjoy living at home for these few more months because once you leave things will never be the same.  :-\ :-\ :-\

Victor, you are insane with your "living with your mom" description.  Trust me, it doesn't go that way for mopst people.  Except maybe a mama's boy. I haven't met anyone who actually wants to live at home after age 20, except for mama's boys, who like the thought of being taken care of.  No one does my laundry or cooks for me.  In fact, by the time I left home I was doing more laundry and cooking than everyone else in the house combined. This is also what happened with most of my friends, and we ended up with the mentality of "why stay here and do all of this work when we can go out on our own and do it for ourselves, and not have to answer to anyone?"

NYBound05

« Reply #5986 on: January 09, 2005, 01:09:00 PM »

HA! Ain't that the truth!

(Can you tell I still live at home???) :-\ When I graduated from high school it seemed like the best idea ever. Not anymore!!! ::)

It does seem like a good idea, but as much as you love yeor parents, you need space from them.  But its so funny because when you do get space from them, you miss them. It's very circular--if you don't believe me now, you'll see what I mean later.

SWB05, I was where you are right now last year.  August is going to drag, especially after school lets out.  But try to enjoy living at home for these few more months because once you leave things will never be the same.  :-\ :-\ :-\

Victor, you are insane with your "living with your mom" description.  Trust me, it doesn't go that way for mopst people.  Except maybe a mama's boy. I haven't met anyone who actually wants to live at home after age 20, except for mama's boys, who like the thought of being taken care of.  No one does my laundry or cooks for me.  In fact, by the time I left home I was doing more laundry and cooking than everyone else in the house combined. This is also what happened with most of my friends, and we ended up with the mentality of "why stay here and do all of this work when we can go out on our own and do it for ourselves, and not have to answer to anyone?"

SMUJD--

I totally hear what you're saying.  I know I'll miss them terribly, particularly because we are super close (TOO close), I'm the baby in the family and the only girl (read: SUPER SHELTERED), and I have never been on my own.  That said, I know it's gonna be especially hard for me to move away and be on my own.

Still, I crave independence.  I've always paid my way through school and I never ask my parents for money, but I still have the comfort of knowing if something goes wrong, mom and dad can fix it.  I guess I'll still partially have that comfort even if I DO go to the east coast, but I think the distance between us will reduce that comfort significantly, which I feel is best for me as an individual.

Besides, being able to stay out as late as I want, have whoever I want to come by and stay as long as I want, etc etc (trust  me, I could go on forever) is absolutely PRICELESS.  Plus, can you imagine having a boyfriend while living at home??  NO PRIVACY AT ALL, EVER!!!  I know moving so far away will be crazy difficult at first, but boy oh boy once that heartache dispels I don't know if I'll ever come back!  LOL. 

Speaking of, I have friends that came back home for the winter break after leaving home to go to school for the first time, and the went back to schoollike 2 weeks early.  They said after having been on their own and having gained their independence, they felt so confined and restricted at home that they decided to go back early.  I can totally empathize with that.

Regal_Muse

« Reply #5987 on: January 09, 2005, 02:00:22 PM »
SWB05 I completely understand where you are coming from. Although my parents are divorced, I'm sheltered and never really live on my own per say. Granted I have an apartment during the school year, but when it's all said and done, I go back home when the spring semester is over. If I didn't want to go to the east coast so bad, I would definitely live at home. My parents know I'm responsible and they are super chilled so they don't give me much hassle. My mom is out of town on business 2 weeks out of the month so I pretty much have free reign of her house. Now when I go to my dadís house, I get slightly annoyed b/c I have two younger sisters ages 13 and 12 years old who enjoy being pest (but I love them anyway LOL). When it comes to finances, stay at home if you can. Why struggle if you don't have to?

NYBound05

« Reply #5988 on: January 09, 2005, 02:45:07 PM »
Regal, girl I feel what you're saying, but imagine if you didn't have those 2 weeks out of the month to do your own thing.  Add onto that parents that feel that everytime you step foot out of your house, there are crazies and lunatics just waiting to prey on you, which happens regardless of how responsible you are.  Add onto that having the noisiest house in the world where it's impossible to study, and when you DO study, your mom gets annoyed when she can't blare the volume on the tv.  That's just a little bit of my daily life.

I hate being on campus allllllll day, but I have no choice if I want to study without re-reading the same page 10 times because my parents want me to do something.  All of these annoyances can disappear to a great extent if I just bounce my happy ass to my own place!  I mean, I still have CURFEWS and have to check in hourly, even when they know where I am. >:(
I'd like to be mentally sane by the time I finish law school.  And this *&^% doesn't even include law school related stress!

Oh woe is me!  :-[ I pray I get into one of the schools I want to attend on the east coast.  I'm hoping that's what God has planned...

NYBound05

« Reply #5989 on: January 09, 2005, 02:53:55 PM »
Hey, I have a serious question for ya'll that I've been pondering... 

Do you think that it's realistically possible to protect yourself against AIDS?  Honestly.

I just saw this interesting short film on BET called Rap It Up. In a nutshell, it was about a chick who had been in a relationship for a year, when all of a sudden her bf stopped having sex with her.  Turns out he was HIV positive.

Now I know I know, condoms protect against all that right?  Well when do you stop wearing condoms?  After you've been with someone a year and they've told you their sexual history? Or how about when you're married?  Only on special occasions?

I have heard of people catching AIDS that were in committed and monogomous (or so they thought) relationships, as well as married couples.

I mean, it's a scary epidemic, and I truly wonder how we can protect ourselves from it.  Sure, you can get you and your partner tested, but do you do it regularly while you guys are together? There will always be times the other person can screw around, and who's to say that during your next exam, you won't turn up HIV positive?

I feel that ultimately we all have to rely on faith.  Unless you're committed to wearing condoms 100% of the time, which includes everytime you have sex in your committed relationships AND your marriages, then there's no sure-fire way to protect yourself.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: One more thing to keep in mind, protecting yourself from potentially contracting AIDS means that you can not conceive children through traditional means.  Your thoughts?