Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Why are the Newbies scared to speak up?

They prefer to Lurk.
 16 (34.8%)
They're not, they're just on another website.
 4 (8.7%)
The Board is too cliquish.
 10 (21.7%)
There's nothing interesting to talk about.
 2 (4.3%)
There's nobody interesting to talk to.
 2 (4.3%)
Not enough Board moderation.
 4 (8.7%)
Newbies?  What Newbies?
 8 (17.4%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Black Law Student Discussion Board  (Read 1697711 times)

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Black Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #54730 on: July 17, 2009, 03:27:35 PM »
Also, I'd have to disagree.  It's perhaps as common as humus.

lol in the South...

Okay, Ritz Crackers.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54731 on: July 19, 2009, 12:36:17 AM »
Whatup Gemini!

Whatup Blk!

Yeah, it definitely ain't like it used to be.  It used to be, if you posted in this thread at 10am, and messed around and came back at noon on the same day, your post was easily about 5 or 6 pages back. And don't post something at night and then go to bed.  Done!  You'd come back and see 30 new pages of conversation took place while you were getting your beauty rest and your post, whatever it was, was long gone!

Now I understand that the alumni are busy. Of course.

What I don't understand is why a new crop of pre-law students are not coming in by the droves?  This site was one of the first things I looked up when I finally got my acceptance to law school.  Is there some other site that folks are flocking to now or are they just not flocking to anything in general?  And if not, what's the motivation to stay in hiding vs. coming out and meeting your potential classmates?

Most people are now at Top Law Schools.  It has a pretty sweet search function and is a really organized board.  Sad though because I've always liked LSD better and I think that LSD has better info for URM students.

I agree.  I've visited that site.  It sucks aesthetically.

However a SEARCH function would come in very handy. I can see how that could make a difference.  I don't know happened to our search function here. It used to work.  Perhaps that contributed to the decrease in traffic?

I'd put better-than-even money on that.

I know I gotta quote you quick before you poof and disappear! 

Yeah that's something I think I'm going to definitely have to talk to Andrew about.

Don't worry, you've got a couple hours before my next scheduled wipeout. ;)

The search function is really only one small part of the problem. I can see all of the options in the poll playing some part. This place is just very closed off to new blood. There's an old guard mentality that's also deeply rooted in top-tier school elitism in many cases. I think a lot of new people may be afraid to speak up because all they see is talk about the "T14" in every forum. Granted, it's not nearly as bad as XOXO or even TLS, but it's still there. Whether that's by accident or by design is irrelevant; it's the effect that matters. We're going to need a full-scale paradigm shift to make any headway. We need to draw out some of the lurkers who are going to lower-ranked schools, lay the smack down on people who ridicule or demean anyone who goes to a lower-ranked school than they do, and try to quash the "T14 or starve" posts before they get started. Yes, that's going to take some serious moderators and much heavier hands than have been seen in the past. But any major change does.

I agree it takes a thick skin to stick around here for very long if you don't fit the mold. But if we don't do something soon all that is going to be left is the regulars and that won't keep the place running or pay the bandwidth

aye certainly don't fit into the mainstream mold and aye've stuck it out...hell...aye picked up my jd from nyls ....that isn't even on a tier....aye think it is mostly the lack of a "search" function...come on...lawyers who don't or can't' do research?...please.
If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare

AuNaturale

• View Profile
« Reply #54732 on: July 20, 2009, 11:36:42 PM »
I agree with the previous posters, because although this board is the lesser of the other two evils when it comes to elitism, it still turns people away who don't fit the mold. I'm one of those people, but I find this board easier to navigate. I also feel as though the opinions expressed here are samples of what is to come, so I don't take too personally what I read and people need to have thicker skin.The search function still works for me, unless we're not talking about the same one.

Pretty Legal

• 1L Fall 09
    • View Profile
« Reply #54733 on: July 21, 2009, 01:42:37 PM »
Hi everyone! Im new to the board and just wanted to say hello to everyone. So far I've been reading some pretty interesting and insightful things
"Don't look down upon someone unless you are reaching down to pull them up"

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #54734 on: July 21, 2009, 03:01:42 PM »
Hi everyone! Im new to the board and just wanted to say hello to everyone. So far I've been reading some pretty interesting and insightful things

Hello and welcome. I like your Tar.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #54735 on: July 22, 2009, 02:22:58 PM »

Welcome, Pretty L!

Also, if you are going to UALR, I highly recommend doing their moot court program.  I had the opportunity to meet moot courters from there when they came up for a competition at my school (because I had a friend on the team), and they seemed like fun, interesting people.  (Often, moot court is full of gunners, but these folk all seemed pleasant and collegial.)  If you're one of the top teams, you can travel to some cool places, too.

I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54736 on: July 22, 2009, 05:14:00 PM »

Welcome.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54737 on: July 22, 2009, 05:24:00 PM »
OK got a story.

So I'm filing a motion in NY state court and I give my secretary the transmittal letter, the motion, attachments, and ask her to do a check request for the filing fee from accounting made payable to "New York County Clerk".  We also sent a copy of the motion to the judge, so I highlighted the name of the judge and his address on another piece of paper for that purpose.

About an hour or so later I get a call from the partner, he's like "uh, Sands, you got a minute? Stop by my office."  So I do. I go in and he asks me "so did you just make a check request?"  I say "yeah sure for the motion we just sent out."  He hands me the check request form that my secretary filled out...

Why was the check made out directly to the Judge?

:o

Fortunately we caught it before it went out the door, but had it gong out the door I basically would have been looking for a new career.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #54738 on: July 22, 2009, 05:28:02 PM »
Oh lord!  As a once (and perhaps future, at this rate) legal secretary (and later paralegal) at a NY firm, I can tell you that attorneys are often unclear about their instructions and blame admins for very reasonable mistakes.  In this instance, however, I'd say your secretary was having a moment!  (Is she new?  A temp?)

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #54739 on: July 22, 2009, 06:26:47 PM »
So is the moral of the story to double check everything your sec'y sends out?