Law School Discussion

Poll

Why are the Newbies scared to speak up?

They prefer to Lurk.
20 (37%)
They're not, they're just on another website.
4 (7.4%)
The Board is too cliquish.
10 (18.5%)
There's nothing interesting to talk about.
3 (5.6%)
There's nobody interesting to talk to.
2 (3.7%)
Not enough Board moderation.
4 (7.4%)
Newbies?  What Newbies?
11 (20.4%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Black Law Student Discussion Board

Re: Black Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #54150 on: July 07, 2008, 10:17:22 PM »
What type/size are you looking at?

i'm not exactly sure.  i'm pretty clueless about this stuff.   ???

but question...i want to stay in NY...but is it "bad" if i go to a NY branch office of a firm? 

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #54151 on: July 08, 2008, 05:42:46 AM »
It's not "bad," but I'm not sure why you would do it outside of a few megafirms like Latham.  If the NYC office is as large as the home office, you should be fine.  If it's a small operation that could be shuttered at any time, I'd stay away.

Do you want to do corporate or lit?  If the former, then pretty much any of the biglaw firms will do, since they get the best corporate work and are more or less the same.  If you're interested in lit, however, then the actual firm becomes more important.  Smaller is usually better in lit (I mean this relatively, like 100-400), in terms of the type of work you'll get to do as a junior associate.  The best lit firms might not be at the top of Vault either, since it's not quite as lucrative as corporate work (you can't really build up a massive lit machine the way you can a massive corporate machine).  And the smaller the firm, the more personality it will have and the more you should investigate its culture.

If you're interested in int'l stuff, then you should of course look at firms that have a strong presence abroad (e.g., OMM's Asia practice).

« Reply #54152 on: July 08, 2008, 07:52:36 AM »
It's not "bad," but I'm not sure why you would do it outside of a few megafirms like Latham.  If the NYC office is as large as the home office, you should be fine.  If it's a small operation that could be shuttered at any time, I'd stay away.

Do you want to do corporate or lit?  If the former, then pretty much any of the biglaw firms will do, since they get the best corporate work and are more or less the same.  If you're interested in lit, however, then the actual firm becomes more important.  Smaller is usually better in lit (I mean this relatively, like 100-400), in terms of the type of work you'll get to do as a junior associate.  The best lit firms might not be at the top of Vault either, since it's not quite as lucrative as corporate work (you can't really build up a massive lit machine the way you can a massive corporate machine).  And the smaller the firm, the more personality it will have and the more you should investigate its culture.

If you're interested in int'l stuff, then you should of course look at firms that have a strong presence abroad (e.g., OMM's Asia practice).

Latham is one of the firms I was thinking off when I posed that Q.  There aren't too many on my 'list' like that (may just be Latham and OMM). (Do you know anything about thse firms, btw?)

As for corporate or lit, I'm not sure--mainly because while I get the fundamentals of lit (research, memos, briefs, depositions), I have no real idea about the fundamentals of corporate.  So should I basically search for good lit shops with the idea that they will pretty much be sure to have a good corp practice?

In addition, you know I have a long term interest in entertainment law.  It's not make or break that a firm has it (because I HIGHLY doubt I'd be in that group), but it'd be nice to start making contacts.  So I have a few of those firms on my list already.

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #54153 on: July 08, 2008, 08:10:00 AM »
Most good lit shops have only decent corporate practices, and vice versa.  But it should be enough to give you a taste.  If you decide you like one area over the other, you can always reinterview next year if the firm you summer at isn't as strong in that area as you would like.  Entertainment law is mostly corporate, however, so maybe you should focus on the corporate side of things.

I only looked into and interviewed at 2 NYC firms, so I don't know much about the NYC offices of Latham and OMM...but they both have great DC offices, fwiw.

« Reply #54154 on: July 08, 2008, 02:54:40 PM »
I agree with Alci.  I would also add that while a lot of local government and publicly funded offices (like public defenders or district attorneys) are competitive (if not as competitive as national non-profits), they do tend to hire from lower-ranked schools in the area.  If you are interested in jobs like these and you don't have the credentials and fortune to get into a top-ranked school with a good loan-repayment program, just make sure that you choose a school in the same area where you'd like to practice.  (Don't go to a school in Florida if you want to practice in Chicago.)  And while you are there, avail yourself of whatever clinical and other opportunities you have to make connections in these offices.

Also, congress recently adopted the College Cost Reduction and Access Act, which provides reduced payments and loan forgiveness for people who do public interest work for ten years after graduation.  The Department of Education hasn't promulgated the rules on qualifying employment yet, but it looks as if most government and non-profit work, at least, will qualify.  There is more information about the CCRAA available here: http://www.equaljusticeworks.org/resource/ccraa .

I just browsed the site and it appears that the loan forgiveness applies to federal loans unpaid after 10yrs of PI work. Isn't the cap on fed loans around 20K a year? That still leaves over 100K in private loans/interest...sigh...

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #54155 on: July 08, 2008, 08:36:43 PM »
I just browsed the site and it appears that the loan forgiveness applies to federal loans unpaid after 10yrs of PI work. Isn't the cap on fed loans around 20K a year? That still leaves over 100K in private loans/interest...sigh...

No, it's not just for Stafford (max $20,500) and Perkins (max $6,000) loans.  It also covers GradPLUS loans.  The max on GradPLUS loans is the cost of attendance less other federal loans and aid.

« Reply #54156 on: July 09, 2008, 05:09:59 AM »

No, it's not just for Stafford (max $20,500) and Perkins (max $6,000) loans.  It also covers GradPLUS loans.  The max on GradPLUS loans is the cost of attendance less other federal loans and aid.

Didn't fully read the info, got caught up at work. Thanks!

« Reply #54157 on: July 10, 2008, 07:34:51 PM »
Should I attend the Vault/MCCA diversity fair?

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54158 on: July 11, 2008, 06:06:18 AM »

I doubt you'll need to in terms of getting a job, but it never hurts to network.  I'm considering attending the one in SF (even though there are pitifully few employers going) in order to establish my interest in a mkt that is harder to break into.  Since you have plenty of connections to the mkt that you're interested in, you definitely don't need to attend.  But it might be fun and meeting more people never hurts, especially since they'll be minorities/minority-friendly, so they're more likely to take an interest in you.

« Reply #54159 on: July 11, 2008, 07:50:34 AM »

I doubt you'll need to in terms of getting a job, but it never hurts to network.  I'm considering attending the one in SF (even though there are pitifully few employers going) in order to establish my interest in a mkt that is harder to break into.  Since you have plenty of connections to the mkt that you're interested in, you definitely don't need to attend.  But it might be fun and meeting more people never hurts, especially since they'll be minorities/minority-friendly, so they're more likely to take an interest in you.

I was thinking the along the same lines as you--I probably don't need to go, but it wouldn't hurt.  Hmm..well, at least I have some time until the registration deadline.

I agree with your decision to go to the SF fair, but it does suck that they don't have as many firms attending. :(