Law School Discussion

Poll

Why are the Newbies scared to speak up?

They prefer to Lurk.
20 (37%)
They're not, they're just on another website.
4 (7.4%)
The Board is too cliquish.
10 (18.5%)
There's nothing interesting to talk about.
3 (5.6%)
There's nobody interesting to talk to.
2 (3.7%)
Not enough Board moderation.
4 (7.4%)
Newbies?  What Newbies?
11 (20.4%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Black Law Student Discussion Board

Miss P

• View Profile
Re: Black Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #53650 on: March 16, 2008, 12:24:04 PM »
NU will not take IUB's offer as a serious threat...many people would kill to get into a t14.

TITCR.  Especially a t-14 with a $25,000/yr scholarship.

Claudia, I think you are underestimating NU's value and overestimating IU.  Maybe if the schools were at all more comparable, this might be a tougher decision, but NU gives you so much more flexibility that it is definitely worth the $40,000 difference in cost, IMO.

ITA

I somewhat agree.  I think you are underestimating IU-B, which is a very good and well-respected law school and has strong public interest placements in the midwest.

You are also underestimating the difference in cost.  NU tuition is over $42,500/year, meaning that, in tuition alone, the cost difference is $52,500.  There is also a nearly 25% higher COL in Chicago.  If you estimate being able to live in Bloomington on $20K and expect a $5K (untaxed, which is unusual) summer stipend, that's $15K to borrow per year in Bloomington.  The same lifestyle costs $25K per year in Chicago, meaning Claudia would have to borrow $20K per year for living expenses there, another $15K to borrow over three years of law school.  So this is at least a $67,500 cost difference, based on pretty conservative estimates of living expenses and assuming tuition stays the same.

ETA: Keep in mind also that unsubsidized loans accrue interest while you're in law school.  Since these additional loans will be unsubsidized, you should also take into account at least 6.8% interest per year, adding several more thousand dollars to the total difference.  (Ballpark, I would estimate that this is about $8K-9K more in loan servicing than you'd pay at Bloomington, but it really depends on your loan company, the timing of your loans, etc.)

ETA2: After pondering this a little more, I think I've probably overestimated the cost of living a bit.  You can probably live on a few thousand less in either place, so maybe the difference in cost is closer to $60K.  Still, add in loan servicing, and it's over $65K difference.

« Reply #53651 on: March 16, 2008, 01:24:27 PM »
Hey Everyone

thanks for the awesome advice.I think I will just have to wait until my visit to IU-B before I can make a final decision. 67K in debt is pretty low for law school? I dont want to be a prestige whore like most people but I do want to go to a good law school where I can explore my interests. I keep getting different opinions on which is more important--how to finance law school or the school's prestige. I do know that NU students get more coveted public interest fellowships than IU grads. I will be calling NU tomorrow to ask for more money.

Are there any questions that you think I should ask when I visit IU?

Also, did any of you participate in summer enrichment programs before law school? Regardless of where I go, I want to get the best grades possible. I love thre fact that NU does not rank.
--Claudia

smujd2007

• January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #53652 on: March 16, 2008, 02:30:33 PM »
Loan repayment assistance programs are good--recently, there has been talk in Congress about making them better-- but make sure you know the details of the program before making your decison on that factor.  These programs often vary by school, some require you to stay in the job for a year before the assistance kicks in (which means you have to figure out what to do with the debt in the meantime).  I would say also see what your state and/or loan companies do for public interest workers as well.  My school didn't have a loan repayment assistance program but my state bar does. 

Congratulations on both offers!  It's a blessing that you have a choice.

The advice that I always give is to go to the best school that gives you the most money, because the cost of going to school for three years and not being able to work full time in the process is HUGE, even if you aren't worried about tuition. However, in your case, since you know you want to do public interest work, you could probably go either way.  As long as you get some good public interest experience while in law school (during summers, possibly in the school year) you should be able to find work afterwards. Good luck in making your decision!

Also, I have friends who did CLEO, and honestly, most of them ended up in the top half of my class--and they attribute that to the program.  Good luck! 

Hey Everyone

thanks for the awesome advice.I think I will just have to wait until my visit to IU-B before I can make a final decision. 67K in debt is pretty low for law school? I dont want to be a prestige whore like most people but I do want to go to a good law school where I can explore my interests. I keep getting different opinions on which is more important--how to finance law school or the school's prestige. I do know that NU students get more coveted public interest fellowships than IU grads. I will be calling NU tomorrow to ask for more money.

Also, did any of you participate in summer enrichment programs before law school? Regardless of where I go, I want to get the best grades possible. I love thre fact that NU does not rank.
--Claudia

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #53653 on: March 16, 2008, 06:10:24 PM »
Hey Everyone

--Claudia

I think you'll be in fine shape either way, Claudia, which makes me think you should probably choose NU.  I just wanted to clarify that I meant that $65-67K would be the difference in the cost of attending NU and IU-B, not the total cost.  At IU-B, you will still have to take out loans to cover your living expenses during the year, and maybe a bit to cover what your public interest summer fellowship doesn't cover.  If you imagine taking out about $1500/month during the school year (nine months per year), that's a bit over $40K you will be borrowing at base (not including bar summer expenses, etc.).  The debt service on that amount will be something around $5K if you don't make interest payments in LS.  Thus, your choice is probably between debt of about $45K and debt of about $110K.   

I suggest trying to talk to some black students about atmosphere things when you are at IU-B because Bloomington is a very white town!  I'd also ask about the curve, whether there are uncurved classes (e.g., is legal writing curved?), and how many students get their top-choice clinics and journals, etc.

« Reply #53654 on: March 21, 2008, 06:50:39 PM »
Hey everyone. I would appreciate any advice on school selection. It will likely come down to Penn or Columbia for me. I would like to go to the school that provides the most flexibility and prestige. Is there any difference in job placement or quality of life at these schools? I have already visited both and could see myself being happy at either place. Thanks in advance!
CLS's placement *may* be marginally better, at most.  Either way, you will be straight at either school, just go with your gut. :)

7S

• Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53655 on: March 21, 2008, 08:44:25 PM »
THE BANNED BET BOONDOCKS EPISODE IN ITS ENTIRETY!

http://concreteloop.com/2008/03/video-banned-the-boondocks-episode-satirizing-bet

I believe it features the real voice of Tavis Smiley.

« Reply #53656 on: March 22, 2008, 04:31:19 AM »
Hey everyone..just out of curiosity, do most black law students at top schools graduate with six figure debt? What is the timeline for paying something like this off?

« Reply #53657 on: March 22, 2008, 12:20:25 PM »
Hey everyone. I would appreciate any advice on school selection. It will likely come down to Penn or Columbia for me. I would like to go to the school that provides the most flexibility and prestige. Is there any difference in job placement or quality of life at these schools? I have already visited both and could see myself being happy at either place. Thanks in advance!
CLS's placement *may* be marginally better, at most.  Either way, you will be straight at either school, just go with your gut. :)

Thanks everyone! WHere do most people at CLS opt to live (off campus)? Is it just MH and Harlem that are nearby? Do most live within walking distance?

most live in university or law school housing in the area--people basically stick to MH and live w/in walking distance (ie, it takes me 5 mins to get to the law school) though i do know a few ppl who commute from BK, Queens, the Bronx, and other parts of Manhattan.

Kirk Lazarus

• I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #53658 on: March 23, 2008, 05:11:08 PM »

CLS is probably *marginally* better with placement across the nation, as MCB already said. You should go where you'll be happy. Even if one is ranked slightly higher, you will do better in school and thus make this factor irrelevant if you are excited to be where you are, both academically and with lifestyle and environment.

If you want to wind up in some places (e.g., some places in the Midwest or South, perhaps New York), I would go to Columbia as long as you are SURE you'll be happy there. A lot of folks where I'm from in the South think University of Pennsylvania is your average state school, which is not helpful. You would* *really* be just as happy at either place? I hear Penn is a lot more pleasant, but I'm not really in a position to know.

Don't forget to consider your financial aid package, yo.

LMAO.

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53659 on: March 23, 2008, 05:20:54 PM »
So, who's going to NBLSA?