Law School Discussion

Poll

Why are the Newbies scared to speak up?

They prefer to Lurk.
20 (37%)
They're not, they're just on another website.
4 (7.4%)
The Board is too cliquish.
10 (18.5%)
There's nothing interesting to talk about.
3 (5.6%)
There's nobody interesting to talk to.
2 (3.7%)
Not enough Board moderation.
4 (7.4%)
Newbies?  What Newbies?
11 (20.4%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Black Law Student Discussion Board

Re: Black Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #49000 on: August 16, 2007, 01:52:46 PM »
i think u're too old for that lol... it's a trend that i've seen with rockers.. teenage boys.. or celeb musicians..

Ladies, how do you feel about jeans with chains in the pockets?

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #49002 on: August 16, 2007, 01:54:47 PM »
i think u're too old for that lol... it's a trend that i've seen with rockers.. teenage boys.. or celeb musicians..

Hmm.. I don't do it. I think it looks cool. But I think I'm gonna pass.

« Reply #49003 on: August 16, 2007, 01:55:16 PM »
5/??/84-8/16/07

yah she missed the entire point of ur post

it's silly? in the context of this conversation how is it silly? OSA said we're bougie with the whole j crew/br clothing.. certainly you're not saying that she's arguing that blacks should wear baggy pants.. plaid jackets and hoodies in place of that are you?

don't take my post out of context as if i am not privy to the "ghetto" parties..  i'm sorry.. i don't subscribe to that as being black.. or what's associated with being black by blacks.. esp the black folk on this board.. i feel that those that do associate that with "blackness" have issues..

fwiw your braids example has absolutely nothing to do with clothing and is irrelevant in this conversation..

it varies from place to place... J Crew.. Abercrombie.. Eddie Bauer..Polo etc etc.. what you may not deem as an authentic part of " black culture" was the culture amongst my fellow classmates in high school.. which was very public (and 90% black).. various socieoeconomic status' but it didn't matter.. during 93-97 that was traditionally the norm with black students in my high school.. does that make them different from most?

Socioeconomic class has never mattered when it comes to consumption.  People regularly exceed their means to fit in.  Regardless of what the fashion was in your high school, there were numerous Black tastemakers with far more impact on the zeigeist who were transmitting the message that Black people's taste in fashion was much different to the one you preferred. 

i've yet to see what clothing is associated with blacks?

This is silly.  The first time I saw a white boy wearing braids with no irony I did a double take.  You may not know what a black person is perceived to wear but the rest of America has an idea.  They certainly lampoon it well enough at those ghetto fab Halloween parties they are so fond of.

Gengiswump

• "she's a tough mfer, but she knows how to party"
    • View Profile
« Reply #49004 on: August 16, 2007, 01:55:32 PM »

Swing/rockabilly folks have been doing that ish for ages - I personally don't have an opinion on them one way or the other outside of the context of a specific outfit.

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #49005 on: August 16, 2007, 01:57:28 PM »
5/??/84-8/16/07

Lol that one takes too much time.  What about RIP?

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #49006 on: August 16, 2007, 01:58:50 PM »
Bourgie black people hate to be labeled. This is like rich people who call themselves "middle class."

OSA was right in the post y'all  ::)ed at.

Tina Tina, as always, was on point too.

Bougie ass taking time off from bougie school to work on a campaign for a bougie nilla.  Bougie bougie bougie!

« Reply #49007 on: August 16, 2007, 01:59:00 PM »
Bourgie black people hate to be labeled. This is like rich people who call themselves "middle class."

Tina Tina, as always, was on point too.

disagree...she totally missed why blk mentioned what she mentioned as being in response to another poster and tried to twist it around.  it really was irrelevant.

and i don't even know if it's about ppl not wanting to be labled bougie...i could care less what yall might want to label me.

5/??/84-8/16/07

Lol that one takes too much time.  What about RIP?

ha ha

Gengiswump

• "she's a tough mfer, but she knows how to party"
    • View Profile
« Reply #49008 on: August 16, 2007, 01:59:10 PM »

And you're backing this up with what, exactly?  You're the one always ragging on "bougie" people, but I've yet to hear you classify what exactly constitutes a bougie person.  Just that you don't like them, and that's why you can't stand Obama. ::)

« Reply #49009 on: August 16, 2007, 02:00:44 PM »

And you're backing this up with what, exactly?  You're the one always ragging on "bougie" people, but I've yet to hear you classify what exactly constitutes a bougie person.  Just that you don't like them, and that's why you can't stand Obama. ::)

word

<~~~~~ loves Gengis even more