Law School Discussion

Poll

Why are the Newbies scared to speak up?

They prefer to Lurk.
20 (37%)
They're not, they're just on another website.
4 (7.4%)
The Board is too cliquish.
10 (18.5%)
There's nothing interesting to talk about.
3 (5.6%)
There's nobody interesting to talk to.
2 (3.7%)
Not enough Board moderation.
4 (7.4%)
Newbies?  What Newbies?
11 (20.4%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Black Law Student Discussion Board

Gengiswump

• "she's a tough mfer, but she knows how to party"
    • View Profile
Re: Black Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #45000 on: June 28, 2007, 07:36:19 AM »
Morning!  Nothing controversial to add, but does anyone have any suggestions for bachelorette party "games"?  We're doing the whole drunken clubbing thing.

What kind of games?

I dunno, just some silly stuff to do so that it's not just another drunken night at the club.  Suggestions so far include "never have I ever", "drink or dare" or "sweet success" (get people to bite off the candies on a candy necklace).  There was a "guess my size" game, but I'm pretty sure my cousin would never speak to us again if we tried that with her fiance!  :D

I was gonna say "never have I ever" . . . hmm.  Circle of Death is more of a houseparty game . . . I'm gonna ask some friends and see if anyone knows of anything good.

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #45001 on: June 28, 2007, 07:37:20 AM »
Morning!  Nothing controversial to add, but does anyone have any suggestions for bachelorette party "games"?  We're doing the whole drunken clubbing thing.

What kind of games?

I dunno, just some silly stuff to do so that it's not just another drunken night at the club.  Suggestions so far include "never have I ever", "drink or dare" or "sweet success" (get people to bite off the candies on a candy necklace).  There was a "guess my size" game, but I'm pretty sure my cousin would never speak to us again if we tried that with her fiance!  :D

I was gonna say "never have I ever" . . . hmm.  Circle of Death is more of a houseparty game . . . I'm gonna ask some friends and see if anyone knows of anything good.

Gracias.

Smokey

• View Profile
« Reply #45002 on: June 28, 2007, 07:55:28 AM »

It more like I never know what I'm going to be in the mood for at any given moment or what will suit my day as it evolves, so I like having all 14,000 of my songs at the ready.

And I still think of songs I wanna hear that I don't have. :D
[/quote]

Also have an 80gb iPod for the same reason.  Already making a playlist of 90s hip-hop (I rediscovered the Coup and Fonky Family a few weeks ago) and soul for our first house party.  According to iTunes, between the two of us we can probably have a playlist long enough to accompany our entire law school experience.
[/quote]

Definitely agree that having a lot of songs on your IPOD makes it really easy for house parties.  Just plug it into your speakers and go.  Easier than hooking up your computer if all your songs are stored there.

Smokey

• View Profile
« Reply #45003 on: June 28, 2007, 07:58:19 AM »

What kind of games?

What's Circle of Death?  Never heard of that one before, or maybe I have.  Is it also known as "Killer?"  The game where someone is killing off people by blinking at them and you have to guess who the killer is?  I remember playing that in grade school but I think it'd be super fun drunk!

One Step Ahead

• you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #45004 on: June 28, 2007, 08:44:26 AM »
*&^%.

Supreme Court rejects school race plans By MARK SHERMAN, Associated Press Writer
2 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court on Thursday rejected school diversity plans that take account of students' race in two major public school districts but left the door open for using race in limited circumstances.

The decision in cases affecting schools in Louisville, Ky., and Seattle could imperil similar plans in hundreds of districts nationwide, and it further restricts how public school systems may attain racial diversity.

The court split, 5-4, with Chief Justice John Roberts announcing the court's judgment. The court's four liberal justices dissented.

Yet Justice Anthony Kennedy would not go as far as the other four conservative justices, saying in a concurring opinion that race may be a component of school district plans designed to achieve diversity.

To the extent that Roberts' opinion can be interpreted to foreclose the use of race in any circumstance, Kennedy said, "I disagree with that reasoning."

He agreed with Roberts that the plans in Louisville and Seattle violated constitutional guarantees of equal protection.

The two school systems in Thursday's decisions employ slightly different methods of taking students' race into account when determining which school they will attend.

Federal appeals courts had upheld both plans after some parents sued. The Bush administration the parents' side, arguing that racial diversity is a noble goal but can be sought only through race-neutral means.

Louisville's schools spent 25 years under a court order to eliminate the effects of state-sponsored segregation. After a federal judge freed the Jefferson County, Ky., school board, which encompasses Louisville, from his supervision, the board decided to keep much of the court-ordered plan in place to prevent schools from re-segregating.

The lawyer for the Louisville system called the plan a success story that enjoys broad community support, including among parents of white and black students.

The Seattle school district said it used race as one among many factors, relied on it only in some instances and then only at the end of a lengthy process in allocating students among the city's high schools. Seattle suspended its program after parents sued.

The opinion was the first on the divisive issue since 2003, when a 5-4 ruling upheld the limited consideration of race in college admissions to attain a diverse student body. Since then, Justice Sandra Day O'Connor, who approved of the limited use of race, retired. Her replacement, Justice Samuel Alito was in the majority that struck down the school system plans in Kentucky and Washington.

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #45005 on: June 28, 2007, 08:45:22 AM »
*&^%.

Supreme Court rejects school race plans By MARK SHERMAN, Associated Press Writer
2 minutes ago

>:(

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #45006 on: June 28, 2007, 08:52:05 AM »
Yeah, I just came from the ACS Supreme Court preview with Pam Karlan, Drew Days, Kathleen Sullivan, Walter Dellinger, some Jones Day dood, and Tom Goldstein.  Goldstein, of course, had a direct feed and announced the decision when it came down.  I thought Walter was going to cry.  But yeah, the ruling is no surprise.  I want to read the opinions.

One Step Ahead

• you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #45007 on: June 28, 2007, 09:00:08 AM »
Yeah, I just came from the ACS Supreme Court preview with Pam Karlan, Drew Days, Kathleen Sullivan, Walter Dellinger, some Jones Day dood, and Tom Goldstein.  Goldstein, of course, had a direct feed and announced the decision when it came down.  I thought Walter was going to cry.  But yeah, the ruling is no surprise.  I want to read the opinions.

reading now.
http://scotusblog.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/05-908.pdf

« Reply #45008 on: June 28, 2007, 09:11:45 AM »
morning everyone

goaliechica

• It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45009 on: June 28, 2007, 09:27:15 AM »
Well, surely you aren't surprised. The chances of me trying to get a job at an impact litigation organization are slim to none now. The Roberts Court is not a good final destination. As Pam Karlan noted at the event (I'm slightly paraphrasing; could have some of the words wrong): "If this is the birth of a new constitutional law jurisprudence, all I can say is, 'What an ugly baby.'"

lol

But not in a good way  :-\