Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Why are the Newbies scared to speak up?

They prefer to Lurk.
 16 (34.8%)
They're not, they're just on another website.
 4 (8.7%)
The Board is too cliquish.
 10 (21.7%)
There's nothing interesting to talk about.
 2 (4.3%)
There's nobody interesting to talk to.
 2 (4.3%)
Not enough Board moderation.
 4 (8.7%)
Newbies?  What Newbies?
 8 (17.4%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Black Law Student Discussion Board  (Read 1595184 times)

Ladyday

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Black Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #150 on: July 18, 2004, 09:02:10 PM »
Damn . . I registered on this site in January 16, 2004 . . . its about time I checked out this thread. What up peoples.

what up?

Victor

« Reply #151 on: July 18, 2004, 09:31:25 PM »
Damn . . I registered on this site in January 16, 2004 . . . its about time I checked out this thread. What up peoples.

what up?

Hey LadyDay I heard you were looking for an apartment in Brooklyn. Have you resolved that issue? Well I'm from Brooklyn so I can help you with that.

Where are you in the law school process?

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
    • Black Law Students Association
« Reply #152 on: July 19, 2004, 11:30:33 AM »
Actually I agree with sisters taking matters into their own hands. I realize that there is an unfrair advantage being a brother and pushing off the family plans for law school than there is being a sister and trying to do the same thing.  I once read somewhere a stat that said something to the effect of most sisters, if not married by the age of 25 have something rediculous like an 85% chance of never being married at all or something like that.  So I understand that there's a pressure for women to try to get marriend, whereas for us, we have a little more leniency. 

Although, no brother wants to be the "Old man in the club".  You know that brother who's not really old, he's just a little TOO OLD to be in the club.

Its kinda a catch 22 b/c I'm doing all of this to be able to provide for my family once that time comes, but in the process, I may end up putting off my family in order to finish law school.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Regal_Muse

« Reply #153 on: July 19, 2004, 02:43:43 PM »
I agree with most of the people are saying about marriage and starting a family. Personally I'm not interested in doing neither until late twenties, early thirties. People rush into marriage too fast these days, which is why the divorce rate is so high. However, I warn people about feeding into statistics. Statistics don't analyize individual characteristics. Some women who are high on the corporate ladder have issues.  Every woman I know who is sucessful mentally, spritually, and financially, is happily married. Although I do admit that black men have more choicees these days. They are considered a hot commodity. All races of women seem to want them. Which brings me to this issue: Has the tolerance level of men gone down since they have more choices? Is it possible that they do not have to invest as much into a relationship because if they get tired of the woman they are with, there always another one around the corner who may or may not expect much out of him in a relationship? My best advice to black women who are moving up the hiearchy is to keep an open mind. Personally I prefer black men, but I'm not going to hold my breath for one and reject other men who met my standards of an ideal mate. On a serious note, I don't feel that I will be part of that statistic regarding black women and marriage. My father raised me to know how to handle the male species LOL.

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #154 on: July 19, 2004, 03:12:46 PM »
Regal_Muse-

Hey, do what cha like. If a white dude or someone of another race does it for you then it's all good. I love black women myself. I'm bringing a sista home to mama.

Regal_Muse

« Reply #155 on: July 19, 2004, 04:55:41 PM »
Not exactly. I said my preference is black men. However, I'm not against dating outside of your race. I would absolutely love to bring home a black man to man parents. All of my boyfriends have been black. But since we are using statistics, there aren't that many black men going to college and obtaiing advance degrees. Most of the time, people interact with people within their socio-economic levels. With that being said, there aren't a lot of black men to choose from. I don't believe that if a black women can't find the black man that she wants, she should spend the rest of her life alone. Black men date outside of the race all the time, but if a black woman does, she's betraying the race. I'm going to be real here, if I worked my butt off going to law school in order to have a certain lifestyle, I don't see the point of marrying someone who might end up being a burden. My potiential partner needs to meet or EXCEED, everything I'm bringing to the table; which includes mental, spiritual, and financial atributes. That is why so many women are unhappy in relationships because they are willing to accept sub part standards. I refuse to be with a child. I do not request anything of my mate that I do not expect of myself. I refuse to negociate my happiness.  Men don't, so women shouldn't either. We have a lot of power to do what we want, but some of us have failed to utilize it. ;D

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
    • Black Law Students Association
« Reply #156 on: July 19, 2004, 06:56:27 PM »
But since we are using statistics, there aren't that many black men going to college and obtaiing advance degrees. Most of the time, people interact with people within their socio-economic levels. With that being said, there aren't a lot of black men to choose from. I don't believe that if a black women can't find the black man that she wants, she should spend the rest of her life alone. ... My potiential partner needs to meet or EXCEED, everything I'm bringing to the table; which includes mental, spiritual, and financial atributes.

Well hold on now sister.  I understand what you are saying, but I would be remiss if I did not politely rebut here.  There seems to be some kind of discrepancy between what black women are saying they want and what they actually want.  Most sisters would agree that they are looking for a "good man" ie. somebody who goes to church, treats them with respect, is responsbile and who would make a good mate.  But the moment they meet one who is not a proffessional, all of a sudden they're not interested.

Now when I hear you say your mate needs to meet or exceed you on the level I agree 100%...all up until the part where you through the financial part in there.  Since when does $$$ = self worth?  Are you gonna not marry me because I made $148,000 last year and you made $149,000?  (I'm being silly but you see my point)

I think sisters need to really ask themselves what EXACTLY is it that you are looking for in a mate.  Because if you're truly seeking a good brother who will take care of you in a relationship, money has nothing to do with that.  In fact, its been my experience that the brothers with the loot are the biggest players.

I'm not suggesting that you have to marry a bum, but I have a lady friend who is a lawyer working for a corporate law firm and she is really caught up between her feelings for these two guys.  Guy A is your typical "nice guy", honestly loves her and has had her back all through law school and supported her when she was searching for the job she has now, but he's a school teacher and earns around 30k a year.  Guy B is your typical "bad guy", kicks it with her whenever he's in town, is also a lawyer, makes 6 figures and pushes the BMW 7 series.   If asked to weigh her feelings, 9 times out of 10 she is leaning towards the man who has her heart which is the school teacher, but for some odd reason (maybe you ladies can expand upon this) she can't quite seem to get Guy B out of her head, nor out of her life.  I wonder why that is??? 8)

"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

scurred1

• Sr. Citizen
  • Where am I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 19, 2004, 07:11:38 PM »

LOL! It's the same reason why you guys can't get over the girl with the tiny waist and the 36DD boobs no matter how many times the "nice girl" will pick up your dry cleaning and call your mother on her birthday. It's human nature to go for the challenge. I think. JMHO

But I hear what you're saying. Although I'm with Regal on this one.

Regal_Muse

« Reply #158 on: July 19, 2004, 07:24:40 PM »
Burning Sands, I understand where you are coming from but look at the facts. Money and infedility are the top two reasons why most marriages end in divorce. Hypothetically speaking, if I met the man of my dreams and he happens to be a teacher, I'm not going to discount him. Teachers have great benefits  ;D. However he must understand that if I'm making a certain income, I will be accustomed to living a certain lifestyle. Perhaps my opinoin will change, but doubt it. A person with no children on a teacher's salary and still invest his income and increase his returns.

Financial stablility is only one of the qualities I listed for my ideal mate. I want a man who's ambitious and sets goals for himself. IF his goal was to become a teacher then I respect that. But if you are satisfied working at McDonalds for the rest of your life instead of owning it, then already I know we don't have much in common.

As for your lady friend, she has a problem. I don't care how much money a man makes, he will never treat me like a dog. The lawyer guy treats your friend like a dog because he knows she will always come crawling back. Maybe she's mezmorized by his financial status. A BMW and a Brooks Brothers suit doesn't cover up a  slimball. She should have established her boundaries with lawyer man a long time ago. If a man is clear about your limitations he will know how to behave. ;) She's trying to weigh her options when the choice is quite obvious. Hopefully, she doesn't fool around and end up with no one.

Regal_Muse

« Reply #159 on: July 19, 2004, 07:28:59 PM »
OH and one more point...MEN NEVER SETTLE SO WHY SHOULD WOMEN????. In the event I do desire to get married, my man needs to be able to keep up with my intellectual prowess! Ladies if you want something then go for it! Stop settling! That is why ignorant bums are having their picks because we are settling! We have a serious problem when broke fools with no integrity can have his pick of 10 women...  ::)