Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Why are the Newbies scared to speak up?

They prefer to Lurk.
 16 (34.8%)
They're not, they're just on another website.
 4 (8.7%)
The Board is too cliquish.
 10 (21.7%)
There's nothing interesting to talk about.
 2 (4.3%)
There's nobody interesting to talk to.
 2 (4.3%)
Not enough Board moderation.
 4 (8.7%)
Newbies?  What Newbies?
 8 (17.4%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Black Law Student Discussion Board  (Read 1688997 times)

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Black Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #140 on: July 18, 2004, 05:00:33 PM »
If your going to work for two years, then save, save, save. Howard does not want theit 1Ls to work during the first year. If you do well summer employment can really pay-off.
losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.

edadministrator

• The perfect score!
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 18, 2004, 05:10:12 PM »

drivenwoman620-I'm in the exact same situation. I'm making really good money as a stockbroker, and I enjoy my lifestyle right now. Also, I have tons of debt from Morehouse. However, I'm sure that I'll be able to pay the loans after I graduate from law school. I guess it depends on your goals, and what you want to do with a law degree really. I'm interested in corporate law and I'll eventually go into private practice. Who knows what the future holds though....Carpe Diem! Just go for it DrivenWoman620.

Carpe Diem...what a good outlook to have.  I keep telling myself "just go for it" and am making plans to, but it's like "oooooh look at all of those zeros!!!!"  What's your classification right now?  Are you going part-time or going full-time and working?

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 18, 2004, 05:21:38 PM »
Hey everyone and a shout-out to all the Greeks (ZPB 9-A-03).  For the young man looking to attend Howard University, as a Howard Alum (Class of 2004!! What!), Howard Law might just be the place for you.  Sure rankings are always important, but in all honesty, law firms recruit HARD at Howard just because it is a decent HBCU.  So in terms of getting a firm job or even working in a DA's office (The Prince George's County Prosecutor is a Howard Law Alum), the career prospects are enormous.  Just strive hard to be at the top of your class,make law review, etc. and believe me you can look forward to a promising career.

Peace

Once again a shout out to all of the greeks, non-greeks and especially you soror (Z-Phi!) 

The only HBCU that I am currently considering IS Howard.  However, I really want to attend law school in Virginia with my top choice being George Mason University.  However I'd like to get the perspective of my other fellow black law and pre-law students on going in with a lot of debt from undergrad and grad school.  I am a 23 year old new professional with a good salary.  I'm enjoying my new car and am in a new area; however, I would like to start law school after two years of professional experience and will pay on that debt during those two years.  I hate to put off goals for too long, but am being very cautious about taking on new debt.

Can anyone offer me some pros and cons and has anyone else been in this situation?  Some of my concerns are car note while in law school and living expenses while in law school because I know many law schools require one to go full time.  What are ways of dealing with the "I already have bills factor"?

First of all, Nupe, no doubt right ;)

Second of all, Driven woman, you cuitie you, I see you over there doing your thang.  Actually to be honest with you I was in the same boat as you so I'll try to shed some light.  I was 23, graduated from college getting paid, paying off loans and bills and all that jazz.  Got into a new car and was on course to get caught up in what I like to call The Game. 

Allow me to break down "The Game" if I may.  You see they condition us since birth that our purpose in life is to play the game.  The rules of the game state that you should go to school, go to college (get into debt) and graduate so that you can work for somebody else for 40 years in order to pay off your debt and retire at the age of 65 living off of a social security check of $400 a month that will not even exist by the time any of us are 65.

Now, seeing as how the average life expectancy of a black male is 57 anyway, I decided a long time ago that I wasn't going to play by the rules of the game.  That's not our generation's game.  We're not about that work for 40 years thang.

Having said all of that, my way of seeing things differs from most. I don't even want to work that long as a lawyer.  I actually am using law school as a vehicle to help me achieve my ultimate goal of being retired by age 35, but that's a different story for a different post.

As far as what you should do right now, Drivenwoman, is no matter what you do, keep your loan payments current and keep your credit UP!!!  I don't even want to get into what kinda of nightmare it is right now that myself and a lot of other black students are going thru to try to get the private loan money needed to even attend law school.  You can't do it with bad credit.  They make you get a cosigner and beleive me, black folk don't cosign to *&^%.  Federal loans do NOT cover all of your lawschool costs.  They cap off at $18,500 so beware...unless your folks have an extra 30k a year they can put on your law school you're going to need to keep your credit up for the loans you are going to need.

Having a couple years of work experience is a good idea.  It will allow you to continue to establish a good credit line for yourself, and pay off other things.  I personally paid off my car before I was ready to apply for law school because student loans from undergrad can be deferred while you are in law school, but car loan payments can not.  Just know that in law school you are going to be living off of a MINIMUM budget.  It will probably not afford too high of a car note.  So if you have a car, try to pay it off before you go or find enough money to cover your note in law school loans while you will be in law school.

Also working out of school for a few years looks better to Ad Coms for your overall package.  Most law students are around 26 +/- so don't feel pressured to go right after undergrad.  If you have a strong determination and discipline then you will have no problem making it into law school after working for a few years.  Some people get lax and get used to getting paid, then kids come along, they get married, and before you know it, they're 40 years old wondering what the hell just happened.  So BE CAREFULL!!!  Don't make any attachments that will keep you from going back to law school.  I told every sister I dated, look, I'm not staying here for long, I have every intention on going to law school in a few years, if you can hang with that then we can kick it, if not then that's cool also, but I gotta let you know up front...I AM GOING TO LAW SCHOOL & that's my word, cousin.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

edadministrator

• The perfect score!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 18, 2004, 05:38:27 PM »
drivenwoman620- I graduated from Morehouse in '01. I'll apply for the full time day program. I don't want to work at all while I'm in school. Howard does not allow 1Ls to work anyway. Try to pay that car off before you go to class however. What did you study undergrad?
@HBCU.EDU
I studied Political Science as an undergrad at Loyola University with a minor in Business Administration; however, I received my education at the University of New Orleans studying Higher Education Administration for my Master's Degree.  I currently work in higher education and it's fun for now and pays the bills, but I definitely want to go to law school and I also do not want to work while studying.  I was afraid of having to pay off the car first, but sounds like sound advice.  

@BurningSands....wow.  That's some really good advice as well.    I hear you about retiring at 35......get out of my head.  Anyway, I was really unsure about the car note and I feel you totally on the attachments which is kind of strange coming from a woman being that being "not married" after a certain point isn't always seen as a good thing in this society.

In regard to the scenario you laid out there in terms of "playing the game"....my mind was somewhere in between.  I was thinking along the same lines of carpe diem like hbcu mentioned earlier but reality keeps hitting me hard.  However, I think a happy medium will be reached in putting it off until the note is paid off and paying off some debt in the meantime as well.

Thanks for the compliment and advice guys. I try.  ;D

edadministrator

• The perfect score!
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 18, 2004, 06:11:23 PM »
Drivenwoman620-

Hey Soror! Always happy to see a ZETA on the board.  I see you want to attend Howard, and that's cool.  I loved it for undergrad despite all the stress that school put me through.  The law school facilities are much better than what we had for undergrad, and all in all, I think Howard is on the come up in general.  I was able to interact with alot of law school students last year, and they seemed to like it.  So good luck ;D  However, as a Howard alum, make sure you have a copy of everything you send to that school, because they are quick to say they didn't receive it. ???

I did the whole application thing last year only to later decide I was going to take a year off.  Hopefully, I won't get caught up in the "game" while I'm applying this year, cause my new paycheck is looking lovely these days!  Good luck to ya :)

Thanks soror..you motivated me to post :D!  I actually want to attend George Mason University, but Howard is in my top 5 list as it is the only school that is not in Virginia.  My list also includes Washington and Lee, William and Mary, and University of Richmond.  University of Richmond is my second choice and then Howard.   I am weighing in the location of the institution amongst other factors as that is very important to me now.  I also wanted an HBCU to be part of my educational experience being that I started with private (WHICH WAS GREAT..THEY SPOILED US)...then with public (THEY DIDN'T SPOIL US...BUT I LEARNED A LOT AND HAD TO WORK HARD TO GET NOTICED..THAT 4.0 GOTTEM  ;)...so I'd love to attend an HBCU.  Being that I am fascinated with higher education and the trends that go along with it...I would like to go full circle.  I don't think that there are any HBCU law schools in Virginia so that might mess things up. 

Thanks for the well wishes!

~Z-Phi~

Ladyday

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 18, 2004, 06:42:30 PM »

Once again a shout out to all of the greeks, non-greeks and especially you soror (Z-Phi!) 

The only HBCU that I am currently considering IS Howard.  However, I really want to attend law school in Virginia with my top choice being George Mason University.  However I'd like to get the perspective of my other fellow black law and pre-law students on going in with a lot of debt from undergrad and grad school.  I am a 23 year old new professional with a good salary.  I'm enjoying my new car and am in a new area; however, I would like to start law school after two years of professional experience and will pay on that debt during those two years.  I hate to put off goals for too long, but am being very cautious about taking on new debt.

Can anyone offer me some pros and cons and has anyone else been in this situation?  Some of my concerns are car note while in law school and living expenses while in law school because I know many law schools require one to go full time.  What are ways of dealing with the "I already have bills factor"?

Save Save Save your money.
Make sure to keep your credit in check so that you can get loans *hopefully* w/out a cosigner.
So with your 2 years off make sure to pay all your bills off-completely.
For the UG and Grad loans-you can defer them while in LS so that's great but of course once u graduate LS they'll still be there, so make sure that LS is def the what you want to do. 
If you already know that LS is what you want to do, BE CAREFUL do not get stuck making good money and before you know it you've got kids and other distractions further preventing you from going to LS.
As far as the car you can do one of 3 things:
1.) Pay that sucker off in full over the next 2 years
2.) Sell it and get a cheaper car that you can pay off in the next 2 years.
3.) Get a personal loan (as your student loans will not be extended for that payment) however, you have to pay the personal loan during LS and that is not recommended at all. 
The thing is to go into LS with the least debt as possible, so if you know you want to be a lawyer, forego the fly car now, in the long run you'll be better off and can afford an even better car once you graduate.
So here's the overview:  Pay all your bills off now and keep your credit in good shape.  Get rid of any unnecessary expenses NOW.  As far as living expenses during school, that falls under the private loans arena.

OK I'm done. I'm happy to see more and more sistas here.

Good LUCK!

edadministrator

• The perfect score!
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 18, 2004, 07:02:15 PM »

Save Save Save your money.
Make sure to keep your credit in check so that you can get loans *hopefully* w/out a cosigner.
So with your 2 years off make sure to pay all your bills off-completely.
For the UG and Grad loans-you can defer them while in LS so that's great but of course once u graduate LS they'll still be there, so make sure that LS is def the what you want to do. 
If you already know that LS is what you want to do, BE CAREFUL do not get stuck making good money and before you know it you've got kids and other distractions further preventing you from going to LS.
As far as the car you can do one of 3 things:
1.) Pay that sucker off in full over the next 2 years
2.) Sell it and get a cheaper car that you can pay off in the next 2 years.
3.) Get a personal loan (as your student loans will not be extended for that payment) however, you have to pay the personal loan during LS and that is not recommended at all. 
The thing is to go into LS with the least debt as possible, so if you know you want to be a lawyer, forego the fly car now, in the long run you'll be better off and can afford an even better car once you graduate.
So here's the overview:  Pay all your bills off now and keep your credit in good shape.  Get rid of any unnecessary expenses NOW.  As far as living expenses during school, that falls under the private loans arena.

OK I'm done. I'm happy to see more and more sistas here.

Good LUCK!

Thanks.  Hmmm...I don't want to sell my car, lol...I'm willing to get rid of some unneccessary expenses; however, if I go the route of paying off my car...then I'll be out longer than I want to be.  I'm starting to see going part-time at George Mason which offers a part-time and an evening program looking better and better being that I want to go sooner than later.  If a part time program takes 5 years...I figure..I'd be out paying of a car in 2 years and add 3 of FULL TIME law and that makes 5 anyway.  Education is important but having a family is too. 

I'm glad to be an additional sister on here Ladyday.  Has the trend toward over-independence and over-focus on education as opposed to family been discussed yet, lol?  I say this because of all of the comments across this board on "ending up" married and with kids spoken to as a bad thing. Not to achieve one's goals can be bad...but I think there are pros and cons both ways.  I mean I couldtell a s/o..."get out of my life fool...it's all about school  :D" ...but that would be plain ole wrong, lol.  That doesn't even feel right in my soul; however, I'm more willing to work with someone in order to get further even if it takes some time apart.  I don't find that people are willing to do that anymore and that goes along with the breakdown of family in our society and the changes in general.

I'm juggling the "put it off until later" thing...which would of course affect my personal life goals and juggling the "go now" which will seriously affect my financial life.

I'm starting to see the part-time program as another version of my happy medium.  Education is important to me but family is just as important!  You guys provide some great perspectives nevertheless and am really assisting in my process of examining all factors in choosing my law school.  I'm a pretty driven person so I'll achieve it some way....it's just a matter of devising a new plan.  The old saying goes.."if there's a will..there's a way".

Victor

« Reply #147 on: July 18, 2004, 07:20:55 PM »
Damn . . I registered on this site in January 16, 2004 . . . its about time I checked out this thread. What up peoples.

edadministrator

• The perfect score!
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 18, 2004, 07:31:31 PM »
Damn . . I registered on this site in January 16, 2004 . . . its about time I checked out this thread. What up peoples.

January 16 is a good day!  I know someone is feeling me in here...where is she?  ;D

I've figured out a way to pay off my car in two years.  Thanks everyone...I think I'm back on track! Yessss!  Will = Way! ;)

Ladyday

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 18, 2004, 09:01:39 PM »

January 16 is a good day!  I know someone is feeling me in here...where is she?  ;D

I've figured out a way to pay off my car in two years.  Thanks everyone...I think I'm back on track! Yessss!  Will = Way! ;)

See THAT"S what I'm talkin bout, myself and others on this board are currently trying to figure things out but as u said, when there's a will there's a way. And maybe the part-time program will be the best thing for you.

And I feel you in terms of having a family and such. But.....the LAST thing on my mind is husband and kids. I just have too many other things I want to have accomplished before I "settle" down.  And I would hate to get involved into a relationship and have all my regrets and maybe even resent my partner b/c I was unable to do the things I dreamed of doing. And I know some people say you can have both, but if that involves me paying someone else to raise my children it's not for me.  Also, I come from a family of both men and women, but it's always been the women who have held everything together (no offense men if reading) and one of the things I've learned is to never depend on a man for *&^%. So that's why I've got to get my butt in gear, get my career started, and think about all that family/love/marriage thing LATER. I would rather be a unmarried, successful, financially stable 40 something yearold woman, without kids still biologically able to have children if I wanna, and/or adopt (as there are too many children who need a parent) with younger male "friends" than be a married 40 something year-old woman unfufilled and unsatisfied who lives for my children and/or husband.  Not to say this happens in all cases but considering the examples of marriages that I've seen....ummmmmm I'd play my bets for the former. Do I want to have children and a possible life partner? Sure, but will I sacrifice a career and independence for it, Hell NO.  Too many black women today are putting up with a lot of bs just to have a man, are running these pathetic creatures down, fighting each other (what happened to sisterhood?) and/or depending on these fools to take care of them financially.  And I think the trend towards over-independence/school is b/c a lot of people are thinking the same way I do and have seen too much to get caught up in the bs.

BTW no this subject hasn't been discussed yet  ;), but I'm sure other people, especially brothas ie: SANDS, will have something to say about it too. 

And again, I'm happy to hear you came up with a solution.