Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Why are the Newbies scared to speak up?

They prefer to Lurk.
 16 (34.8%)
They're not, they're just on another website.
 4 (8.7%)
The Board is too cliquish.
 10 (21.7%)
There's nothing interesting to talk about.
 2 (4.3%)
There's nobody interesting to talk to.
 2 (4.3%)
Not enough Board moderation.
 4 (8.7%)
Newbies?  What Newbies?
 8 (17.4%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Black Law Student Discussion Board  (Read 1702507 times)

Regal_Muse

Re: Black Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #130 on: July 16, 2004, 07:35:37 PM »
For the future, I think blacks/Afro Americans need to focus on racial solidarity. I noticed from a lot of individuals is that once they move up the socio-economic ladder, they tend to forget about the people who are still struggling. There is also a huge class division within the black community. I find these issues very interesting specially coming from USC. There is a significant number of black students who are well to do and others who are first generation college students. The interaction between the two groups is very interesting. I believe part of it has to do with living in So. Cal which is very Hollywood. Student feel pressured to have the appearance of being wealthy.  Does anyone else notice this on their campus?

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #131 on: July 16, 2004, 09:54:39 PM »
Oh yeah, and Maynord Jackson (a Morehouse Man)  went to North Carolina Central School of law ( A 4th tier law school) and ran *&^% in Atlanta.

jdn2262

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #132 on: July 16, 2004, 10:14:20 PM »
Burning Sands-

Nupe, that motherfucka got me heated. I'm glad I'm applying to HBCUs. I don't know if I could take that *&^% in the classroom. 

Hey HBCU,

I haven't said much on this board but I feel I must chime in. Don't let the ignorant people distract you from applying to other schools besides HBCU's. This is exactly what they want. They want you to feel excluded because that will be one less seat that they will have to worry about. Its a strategy. Don't let it get to you. Like my best friend always saids, "Shake it off!"  Coming from a predominantly white undergraduate institution, there have been plenty of times where I have been the only black girl in most of my classes and have had to deal with all kinds of racist remarks. And you should have heard some of the comments that were made in regards to minorities, but I didn't let it get to me. Yes there were times where I was tempted to throw a book across someones head, but I realized that you can't rationalize with ignorance. Some people are going to beleive what they want to believe regardless of what the research shows. And I have also learned to choose my battles. There were many days when I argued and argued and argued, but then there were some days were I was like whatever. Burning Sands is right, you will  probably come across some more very ignorant people but forget about them and do you. Apply wherever you want and hold your head up high.

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 17, 2004, 06:09:13 AM »
Ha. Black Diaspora. That's almost as Howard as "I'm so glad... I go to Howard U."
losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 17, 2004, 11:52:19 AM »
HBCU -

Nupe, I'm laughin over here b/c I've got partners that have that same story. Over here in Missouri, there's an historically black college called Lincoln, and they would tell me about parties they would go to at Mizzou and the Mizzou girls would be rappin with them, vibin', the whole 9....all up until the part where they asked my partners what school they went to.  As soon as they said "I go to Lincoln", the Mizzou girls would be like ".....oh......" and then turn their backs and go on to the next guy.  Classic I tell ya. Classic.

Black folk are a very unique people.  Because we have divisoins within ourselves, yet at the same time we are all unified when stimulated from an outside source.  Allow me to quote one example that I think you might find interesting:

BLACK SORORITIES AND FRATERNITIES FILE TRADEMARK INFRINGEMENT SUIT AGAINST CONVERSE

Four Black fraternities and two Black sororities have filed a lawsuit against sports apparel company Converse, Inc. for trademark infringement and deceptive trade practices.

The lawsuit, filed in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas, Dallas Division, maintains that Converse has been manufacturing, marketing, and selling athletic footwear, called the GreekPak, to members and supporters of Black fraternities and sororities.  This conduct constitutes trademark and trade dress infringement, as well as unfair competition and deceptive trade practices, according to the lawsuit.

The plaintiffs listed in the suit are:
Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.
Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.
Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc.
Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc.

The GreekPak shoes "contain the identical founding year and organizational colors as our respective organizations and was an obvious attempt by Converse to capitalize on the goodwill our groups have worked so hard to develop.  This was no coincidence," said Harry Johnson, national president of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.

The lawsuit charges that Converse has enriched itself at the expense of Black Fraternities and Sororities and the unsuspecting consumers who believe that Converse has permission from and endorsement by these Black groups to sell the shoes.

The lawsuit seeks damages for past acts of infringement, punitive damages, and requests that Converse be enjoined from continuing to sell these products without permission.

"These organizations, which boast a diverse membership of hundreds of thousands of members worldwide, feel that their marks are just as important as Converse," said John S. Kendall of Davis & Kendall P.C. in Chicago.

Kendall and Aubrey Pittman of the Pittman Law Firm in Dallas, TX are representing the case.

The NPHC comprised of the heads of the nine predominantly Black fraternities and sororities, strongly supports this suit.

Helen J. Owens, chair of the Council of presidents and International Grand Basileus of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. said, "We were concerned that Converse, using unfair competition and infringing upon our groups' intellectual property, had deliberately and callously decided to target the members of our organizations for sales of its shoes without obtaining any sort of permission from our groups."

George Grace, national president of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc., explained, "This lawsuit will send the message to large and small companies that our organizations will aggressively protect our rights and will not tolerate anyone infringing upon these rights without us taking action."

"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 17, 2004, 03:56:34 PM »
Kikilatrice, I loved Howard! It's funny because though I haven't been there in years, two words like 'black' and 'diaspora' brings it all back. I only had a bad acedemic performance, HU is still the Mecca. Don't get it twisted.
losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 18, 2004, 03:03:09 PM »
Why is it 2 pm and I'm just now waking up?  oh my freakin head...
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #137 on: July 18, 2004, 03:06:39 PM »
Sounds like you had a good time last night Nupe. Don't wake those AKAs up. ;D

NYBound05

« Reply #138 on: July 18, 2004, 03:50:21 PM »
HBCU, I love the quote you have of bush!  When I saw Fahrenheit 9/11, I couldn't stop laughing when they showed a prime example of how incredibly stupid Bush is. What an idiot - I  mean, the saying isn't even that difficult to remember...  ::)

Sounds like you had a good time last night Nupe. Don't wake those AKAs up. ;D

edadministrator

• The perfect score!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 18, 2004, 04:34:16 PM »
Hey everyone and a shout-out to all the Greeks (ZPB 9-A-03).  For the young man looking to attend Howard University, as a Howard Alum (Class of 2004!! What!), Howard Law might just be the place for you.  Sure rankings are always important, but in all honesty, law firms recruit HARD at Howard just because it is a decent HBCU.  So in terms of getting a firm job or even working in a DA's office (The Prince George's County Prosecutor is a Howard Law Alum), the career prospects are enormous.  Just strive hard to be at the top of your class,make law review, etc. and believe me you can look forward to a promising career.

Peace

Once again a shout out to all of the greeks, non-greeks and especially you soror (Z-Phi!) 

The only HBCU that I am currently considering IS Howard.  However, I really want to attend law school in Virginia with my top choice being George Mason University.  However I'd like to get the perspective of my other fellow black law and pre-law students on going in with a lot of debt from undergrad and grad school.  I am a 23 year old new professional with a good salary.  I'm enjoying my new car and am in a new area; however, I would like to start law school after two years of professional experience and will pay on that debt during those two years.  I hate to put off goals for too long, but am being very cautious about taking on new debt.

Can anyone offer me some pros and cons and has anyone else been in this situation?  Some of my concerns are car note while in law school and living expenses while in law school because I know many law schools require one to go full time.  What are ways of dealing with the "I already have bills factor"?