Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Why are the Newbies scared to speak up?

They prefer to Lurk.
 16 (34.8%)
They're not, they're just on another website.
 4 (8.7%)
The Board is too cliquish.
 10 (21.7%)
There's nothing interesting to talk about.
 2 (4.3%)
There's nobody interesting to talk to.
 2 (4.3%)
Not enough Board moderation.
 4 (8.7%)
Newbies?  What Newbies?
 8 (17.4%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Black Law Student Discussion Board  (Read 1690446 times)

CaliToD.C.

Re: Black Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #120 on: July 16, 2004, 03:20:15 AM »
Aint this a B**ch

All we tried to do was create a place for African-Americans pursuing a carrer in law where we can exchange intellectual conversation and discourse regarding issuses that commonly affect our lives and look what happens. Muthaf***s hit the roof and start actin a damn fool. Though I guess its typical so Im not gonna get upset. So I ask all those who have made a positive contribution to this board (Black, White, and whatever) to ignore the negativity, in spite of those who make cowardice remarks, and keep adding thoughtful and intelligent posts in which we ALL can benefit from.

Peace

TroubleWithLSAT

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 16, 2004, 09:50:13 AM »
Being HBCU, how much diversity is there at Howard U? I'm thinking of applying and would like to know.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 16, 2004, 10:18:52 AM »
Cali - no doubt.  Let's keep it positive.  In fact I think it should just be understood that the next ignorant post we see in here nobody even acknowledge that *&^%.  Just keep rolling.

Yo
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Andrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I just think the thing should work properly."
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Sinclair
« Reply #123 on: July 16, 2004, 10:44:34 AM »
Portions of this thread were split off to the hate board:
http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,4976.0.html

luvtaps84

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #124 on: July 16, 2004, 10:46:34 AM »
I been off the board for a second, so i'm out of the loop.  Whats racist comment is everyone referring to? 

scurred1

• Sr. Citizen
  • Where am I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 16, 2004, 10:47:21 AM »
well, for that to happen, more black intellectuals need to run for political positions instead of settling for academia... Barack Obama from U Chicago to possibly the Senate, for example... Edley would have a shot at the Senate too, but he settled for advising in the Clinton admin., then teaching at Harvard, and now the Dean's position at Boalt... or Condoleeza Rice (Stanford, now a Bush advisor)...

Anyone remember that Eddie Murphy movie "The Distinguished Gentleman" ?

I meant it in the sense that all views, not just those of the majority, ought to given equal consideration and representation.  Currently, that is simply not the case.  White politicians consistently neglect issues pertinent to all minority populations and few can argue that minorities have been very successful with having their issues addressed adequately by the Legislative and Executive branches.  Most advances in minority rights and concerns have been made through the judicial system.  I think it is unfortunate that our minority population doesn't seem to have sucess with two of the most powerful branches of government.

I agree with you 100 percent. But politics is a dirty game and I think most black folks who've worked hard to make it to the relative safety of academia don't want to go walk the plank that is American politics today. That's why I admire those who do. It's a huge risk that could cost you everything you've ever worked for. And it's not as easy to bounce back from a scandal if you're not a white male. Look at Lani Guinier. Bet she'll never try to leave Harvard for Washington again after what happened a few years back.

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 16, 2004, 11:02:25 AM »
O my Lawd!

I'm in Philly. Right now the NAACP is in town. My Aunt's social club is taking advantage of this to have their national convention as well.

Well, I helping out and setting up and BAM! I get hit with elitist bull.

This woman is talking to my little cousin about his private school and turns to me and asks what High School I went to. I tell her I went to Roman Catholic High and she turns around and walks away.

I wonder what she would have did if I said Public school.

This woman assumed that since I didn't go to some top Private School that I must not be worth *&^%.

I'm 30, what does it matter what High School I went to?

This is not an isolated occurence.

This is what is wrong with our community. There is no real solidarity. It seems that we are more elitist and classist than any other group.

The divide between the haves and have nots is growing every day. The NAACP to me seems all rhetoric.

We're upset that Bush doesn't show, but applaud Kerry using us as a soap box. I'm in Philly, Kerry may have appeared at the NAACP convention, but he ended his day speaking from the porch of some house in the suburbs.

His tie was off and he looked relaxed. The message was clear: That was work but I'm home now.

losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.

Ginatio

« Reply #127 on: July 16, 2004, 11:14:39 AM »
hahahah.. yea... that's why Clinton was so great... he could sincerely chill with anybody from any race... He was talking about it on an interview on PBS recently, and he said that he's always been comfortable around other races because he grew up around other races... Kerry, on the other hand, is as Yankee as you can get...

We're upset that Bush doesn't show, but applaud Kerry using us as a soap box. I'm in Philly, Kerry may have appeared at the NAACP convention, but he ended his day speaking from the porch of some house in the suburbs.

His tie was off and he looked relaxed. The message was clear: That was work but I'm home now.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 16, 2004, 11:24:44 AM »
Portions of this thread were split off to the hate board:
http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,4976.0.html

Andrew for president.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 16, 2004, 11:34:38 AM »
O my Lawd!

I'm in Philly. Right now the NAACP is in town. My Aunt's social club is taking advantage of this to have their national convention as well.

Well, I helping out and setting up and BAM! I get hit with elitist bull.

This woman is talking to my little cousin about his private school and turns to me and asks what High School I went to. I tell her I went to Roman Catholic High and she turns around and walks away.

I wonder what she would have did if I said Public school.

This woman assumed that since I didn't go to some top Private School that I must not be worth *&^%.

I'm 30, what does it matter what High School I went to?

This is not an isolated occurence.

This is what is wrong with our community. There is no real solidarity. It seems that we are more elitist and classist than any other group.

The divide between the haves and have nots is growing every day. The NAACP to me seems all rhetoric.

Shaz, I feel ya 100%.  There is definitely a class divide in our community.  If I had to put my finger on it I would say that there is more than one divide.  You have those cats who don't care, who fit every negative stereotype of black folk to a T and behave as LadyDay would say "crabs in a barrel"....then you have the elitist, blind to the world, self centered & self absorbed black folk who think Condaleeza rice and John McWhorter are the greatest things next to sliced bread and refuse to beleive that any racism exists because THEY were able to make it....then you got all the rest of us in between.  Your everyday people if you will. 

There is solidarity whithin each divide but the real trick is how do we get these divisions on the same page?

Its like school daze all over again.  Wake UP!
Charles H. Houston