Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Why are the Newbies scared to speak up?

They prefer to Lurk.
 16 (34.8%)
They're not, they're just on another website.
 4 (8.7%)
The Board is too cliquish.
 10 (21.7%)
There's nothing interesting to talk about.
 2 (4.3%)
There's nobody interesting to talk to.
 2 (4.3%)
Not enough Board moderation.
 4 (8.7%)
Newbies?  What Newbies?
 8 (17.4%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Black Law Student Discussion Board  (Read 1637843 times)

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
Re: Black Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2004, 05:41:26 PM »
green, are you the electric violin player?  or the gay dancer/rapper with the javelin?

Buring Sands - Thanks for the recognition.

GreenEqs - I see you representing Tri-Lamb.  Good stuff.

HBCU.EDU - Yeah I feel you. It definitely is inspiring to attend an HBCU where a lot of the greats of our community were made.  If you don't mind me asking, what ballpark was your LSAT score in during any practice tests you might have taken before the real thing?  That will give me a better idea on which way you should go with the law school process.

Again, Howard is a mixed bag.  You can go to Howard Law and land a pretty good job.  And Howard has a pretty high job placement rate.  94% of the grads had job offers at graduation. The year before that it was 97% 

But here's the thing though, if you go to Howard you have to do well.  There are some schools, like the Tier 1 schools, Yale, Harvard, NYU, Columbia, Stanford, etc. that you can just go to and pretty much you are guaranteed a great job when you get out.  Well Howard (much like any other school that is NOT a Tier 1) is not one of those schools and as such, you gotta be at the top of your class to get recognized.  So if you go to Howard, you need to be at the top of Howard, you can't be 1/2 steppin and expect to land a well paying gig being at the bottom of the Howard class.  Sure you're get A job but it won't be a good job.

P.S. - where did you go over at?
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

nathanielmark

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2004, 05:48:17 PM »
definitely the gay dancer/rapper.

green, are you the electric violin player?  or the gay dancer/rapper with the javelin?

Buring Sands - Thanks for the recognition.

GreenEqs - I see you representing Tri-Lamb.  Good stuff.

HBCU.EDU - Yeah I feel you. It definitely is inspiring to attend an HBCU where a lot of the greats of our community were made.  If you don't mind me asking, what ballpark was your LSAT score in during any practice tests you might have taken before the real thing?  That will give me a better idea on which way you should go with the law school process.

Again, Howard is a mixed bag.  You can go to Howard Law and land a pretty good job.  And Howard has a pretty high job placement rate.  94% of the grads had job offers at graduation. The year before that it was 97% 

But here's the thing though, if you go to Howard you have to do well.  There are some schools, like the Tier 1 schools, Yale, Harvard, NYU, Columbia, Stanford, etc. that you can just go to and pretty much you are guaranteed a great job when you get out.  Well Howard (much like any other school that is NOT a Tier 1) is not one of those schools and as such, you gotta be at the top of your class to get recognized.  So if you go to Howard, you need to be at the top of Howard, you can't be 1/2 steppin and expect to land a well paying gig being at the bottom of the Howard class.  Sure you're get A job but it won't be a good job.

P.S. - where did you go over at?

Ladyday

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2004, 07:32:12 PM »
wow, all these brothas conglomerated into this area, a sista just had to post. to those going to ls this fall, where are u going?

Oh and to address the original question, I agree with dnw, you have already gotten a great experience at a HBC so why not gain experience at a hist white law school--and maybe even try looking at law schools in cultural diverse areas?
But if you do decide to forego that idea, Howard would be the place to go hands down. 

dnw2007

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2004, 07:49:14 PM »
Welcome Ladyday!  It's a pleasure to have you here!

I'll be headed to Texas Tech in the fall.  They were VERY generous, and the people there, especially the BLSA, really reached out to me.  I think that Burning Sands is headed to Rutgers (I don't know which one).  What about you?

CaliToD.C.

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2004, 09:09:31 PM »
I agree with everyone on this board that Howard is the top HBCU. I am also considering Howard as one of my top law school choices because one of my professors in undergrad told me that it was the best civil rights school. Does anyone know if this is acurate? I am also fascinated by Howard's legendary alumni such as Thurgood Marshall, Kwame Toure, Malik Shabaaz etc.

Good Luck To All

Ladyday

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2004, 09:35:21 PM »
Why thank you dnw for your sweet welcome  ;)

Sands is heading for Jersey

I on the other hand am not completely sure at this point. Nothing is ever cut & dry for ole Ladyday.  But I will be in the NYC area. I'm happy to here about your situation though.  ;D

Lavia

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2004, 11:37:24 PM »
Hey HBCU.EDU! I'm going to be going to school near Morehouse soon. Are you still there, or are you in Sacramento now?

And a shout out to my fellow Black Greek. It's all about the Crimson and Creme.

Good luck on your decision. I wish now that I'd had the experience of going to an HBCU.

Lavia

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2004, 11:03:27 AM »
Burning Sands-

I went over at Sacramento Alumni http://www.sacalumni.com Spr'03. I'm the assistant keeper of records there. Alot of my boys from Morehouse'01 that graduated with me went NY Alumn, and Atlanta Alum, etc. I took the Kaplan course, (which sucked in my opinion) but, I worked a lot on my own. Took many, many practice exams and scored in the 150s. Logic games gave me a big problem. Basically, I need a good scoore on the lsat to do well. I've got a 2.7 ugpa  and 3 yrs exp. in the securities industry with E*Trade Financial. I also have good letters of rec. from my Finance professors, and boss. So, basically, for Howard, I'll need at least a 150 or all is lost. What do you think?       

DSONG - I saw that. you are silly man

Good to see the gang's all here. Whatup Ladyday, Lavia.

HBCU.EDU - I'd say you're pretty much in there with Howard.  A 2.7 is towards the lower end of their GPA range, but if you could get a 155 or better it would negate the GPA and pretty much make you a shoe in.  If you score below a 155 but say better than a 150 then you will PROBABLY get in, possibly waitlisted.  Anything below 150 you're gonna need to take the LSAT again.  In the unfortunate case that you do have to take it again like I did, Howard does takes your highest score.  The work experience will also add to your application.  Plus you know you gotta put frat on there, that's like 18,000 hours of community service activities alone.

Howard is known for its Civil Rights work. I dont' know if its the best but its up there.

And yes I am heading to Rutgers in Newark, NJ.  15 minutes from NYC where I can go smack LadyDay around and then head back to class without missing a beat. ha!
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Ladyday

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2004, 11:51:55 AM »
Whoa! Slow down there killer! What's up with all this black on black crime  ;) ?

But it's great to see we'll have people representing all over, we've got texas, hotlanta and NYC covered. And if hbcu goes to Howard, there's D.C. All we need now is someone to represent in Cali.

lawschool916

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2004, 01:34:31 PM »
Hello everyone!  I think I read someone on this board is from or currently living in Sacramento?  I am in Sacramento as well, at least for the moment.  It looks it will be either, University of Detroit Mercy, Wayne State or University of San Francisco for me!!!  Nice the chat with some other future black attorneys, especially women since I am female and I don't meet a lot of us!