Law School Discussion

Criminal Charges

Criminal Charges
« on: September 06, 2005, 08:54:53 PM »
hi. i hope you guys can help me with this.

i've been working on my applications and i don't what to do about questions regarding criminal charges.
i've been arrested once for fighting, which is misdemeanor, and the charge was dismissed with "warning" by a judge. is this mean that i have to check "yes" on questions that ask "have you ever been found quilty...of any charges..." is "warning" a quilty verdict? i don't know what to do and i'm sure i'll call the schools about this question but any help is appreciated.

thank you very much.

Denny Crane

• Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
Re: Criminal Charges
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 08:57:35 PM »
It doesn't sound like you were convicted of anything (a warning is unlikely to go on your record).  My best guess is that you won't have to check "yes" when it comes to criminal convictions.  Your best bet, however, is to call the schools directly and explain your situation and ask whether you need to mark yes or no.  I doubt you will have to, but it's best to check with the school directly.

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 07:07:22 PM »
I have a related question.

What if you were arrested for underage possession of alcohol, but participated in a program your state has to keep the charge off your record. The arrest stays on your record until you complete the program, and then you pay to have it expunged.

Do you have to reveal that when asked about arrests?

Further, when a school asks you to confess even to charges that were expunged from your record - what is there reason for asking? Is it a factor in admission?

Denny Crane

• Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 09:14:08 PM »
Depending on the severity of the infraction, an arrest may play a role in your application.  Your arrest for underage possession of alcohol is highly unlikely to play any significant role in that way adcomms consider your application.  They ask for that info (even when the arrest was expunged from your record) for the sake of full disclosure.  They just want to make sure they get as accurate of a picture of the type of applicant you are, and that includes any arrests, however minor.  Again though, it is unlikely to affect your application, so you shouldn't have any worries.  Best of luck.