Law School Discussion

Is a 5 point improvement really an improvement ?

Is a 5 point improvement really an improvement ?
« on: September 07, 2005, 10:20:10 AM »
Ok so here's the deal. I am currently enrolled in the TM class and until now have given the 2 diag. Unfortunately i got a 144 on the First Diag and a 143 on the Second  :-\ I knew i had to work my ass off if i had to get a decent score. Just went over the LRB and got a 148 on the FEB 00 LSAT. I was really expecting a 10 point increase after learning soo much from the bible. But i just managed to improve 5 points from my last diagnostic. Is a 5 point improvement really a big improvement, i just feel i am in the same position when i gave the first two diag's even though i improved. I was hoping to touch a 150 on this diag.

I really feel terrible at the moment. Are there people out there who are in the same position or were in the same position at some time during their LSAT prep.? Any advice or comments will be appreciated.

gailrules

Re: Is a 5 point improvement really an improvement ?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 10:46:30 AM »
An LSAT score below 150 is going to make it tremendously difficult to get into law school. I'm not saying impossible, but it's really really going to suck.

Hire a private tutor who can drill you on the fundamentals. If you're serious about law school, then you need to figure out what exactly is tripping you up and causing you not to score well.

bama

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 10:47:00 AM »
I scored a 154 on the first powerscore diag, scored 154 in the second diag, took two tests this weekend on my own and scored 154 on each.  I would LOVE a 5 point improvement...  I did sign up this morning for the Oct exam, so hopefully it'll start to come together soon. 

BTW

Nobody in my class improved from diag 1 to diag 2.  If there is no improvement on diag 3 the instructor is going to have a revolt on his hands:-) 

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 10:56:37 AM »
An LSAT score below 150 is going to make it tremendously difficult to get into law school. I'm not saying impossible, but it's really really going to suck.

Hire a private tutor who can drill you on the fundamentals. If you're serious about law school, then you need to figure out what exactly is tripping you up and causing you not to score well.

Thanks for the post. I dont have problem with the fundamentals but just the fact that when i sit down to give a diag. i always seem to make careless mistakes which seem sooo obvious when i review after giving the test. For Example: if i do a LR section untimed i usually get 4-5 wrong but when i do a diag. i get 8 wrong. I am just not a good standardized test taker (i scored a 1010 on my SAT) and whenever i tell this to people in my family they dont seem to believe it. I am studying for 8 hours everyday so its not that i am relaxed about this whole thing. But i am really hoping to hit a 160 on Oct 1. I am trying my best to overcome my weaknesses but it just seems that i am one of those people who takes some time to learn stuff unlike the people who score in 170's. I am trying my best to improve and i know you can improve but lets hope this thing clicks. I would be happy if i score a 155 on my next test. Man i feel soo f-in intelectually inferior even though i have a good GPA at school and am also in the honors program...what an irony...thats all i can say

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 11:07:00 AM »

Thanks for the post. I dont have problem with the fundamentals but just the fact that when i sit down to give a diag. i always seem to make careless mistakes which seem sooo obvious when i review after giving the test. For Example: if i do a LR section untimed i usually get 4-5 wrong but when i do a diag. i get 8 wrong. I am just not a good standardized test taker (i scored a 1010 on my SAT) and whenever i tell this to people in my family they dont seem to believe it. I am studying for 8 hours everyday so its not that i am relaxed about this whole thing. But i am really hoping to hit a 160 on Oct 1. I am trying my best to overcome my weaknesses but it just seems that i am one of those people who takes some time to learn stuff unlike the people who score in 170's. I am trying my best to improve and i know you can improve but lets hope this thing clicks. I would be happy if i score a 155 on my next test. Man i feel soo f-in intelectually inferior even though i have a good GPA at school and am also in the honors program...what an irony...thats all i can say

This is just my 2 cents, but maybe you're studying too much. 8 hours a day is really a lot. I think the most important thing is making sure you understand the questions you got wrong and why. Make sure you go through everything including the wrong answers to see why they are wrong. If you get more questions right when you are untimed, it's probably because you're rushing and nervous, maybe you should do more untimed practice so that you can become  more comfortable and less anxious.

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2005, 11:10:35 AM »

This is just my 2 cents, but maybe you're studying too much. 8 hours a day is really a lot. I think the most important thing is making sure you understand the questions you got wrong and why. Make sure you go through everything including the wrong answers to see why they are wrong. If you get more questions right when you are untimed, it's probably because you're rushing and nervous, maybe you should do more untimed practice so that you can become  more comfortable and less anxious.

I guess you are correct because the same sh*t seems to make sense when i am doing it untimed but it doesn't make much sense when i am giving a preptest, i feel too nervous and too careful as to which answer choice i am gonna choose. Really salute the people who are scoring in the 170's--they are the LSAT gods.

bama

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2005, 11:15:34 AM »
I am thinking that taking untimed is a mistake at this point, you need to improve your accuracy under pressure.  After the test you can take your time and review.  Thats going to be my strategy going forward. 

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2005, 11:18:47 AM »
I am thinking that taking untimed is a mistake at this point, you need to improve your accuracy under pressure.  After the test you can take your time and review.  Thats going to be my strategy going forward. 

But does this 5 point improvement mean anything ??? Should it even be considered an improvement ?

mcleod13

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2005, 11:40:18 AM »
Trust me, you can pull this off. I started off with a 144. I have just been practicing questions when I can't take full length tests. Just keep pushing. I have already increased to a high practice of 160 and a high LSAT of 153. But I think you will be able to do it. I just think you need to take a day off and relax.

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2005, 11:43:27 AM »
Trust me, you can pull this off. I started off with a 144. I have just been practicing questions when I can't take full length tests. Just keep pushing. I have already increased to a high practice of 160 and a high LSAT of 153. But I think you will be able to do it. I just think you need to take a day off and relax.

Thanks pal. You are really an encouragement.