Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: wait a year?  (Read 925 times)

KayakAnyone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
wait a year?
« on: September 07, 2005, 11:17:35 AM »
This is probably a no brainer.  When I first took the lsat i was disappointed with the score 158. I took it as a sign that graduate school wasin my future.  A year and a half later I sat for the LSAt again, with much better results 168.  Now if I wait another year before applying the 158 will not count for many schools.  Yet the 168 will, so I won't have to take the average of 163.  Therefore my shot at some of my dream schools, looks better.  I just worry about the lost year.  But then i console myself with the notion of more money in the bank.. I don't know.  I've been aout of college now for 3 years and for the greater part of that wrestled with grad school versus law school.  I finally made up my mind, and prepared myslef to apply and go. Yet now I am thinking it may be better to wait a year gain some more WE (as i actually now have a real job) that actually looks like work instead of my camp counselor and odd job bits.  Any thoughts?

thenextstep

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: wait a year?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 11:31:40 AM »
I think it is always good to take the extra year if you can afford it and have something worthwhile to do (which it seems you do).  Since it will also help your admissions standing, go for it.  I understand the feeling of putting life on hold for sure, but I think it is often a smart move.  It sounds like a situation you might regret if you apply now, knowing that you'll be using the average score at so many places.  So take the year!

KayakAnyone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 08:34:10 PM »
Other than my restless nature and desire to start now? I'm strange, but i miss school.  ultimately, you are right there is absolutely no reason.  i guess i now have another 12 months to perfect my application.  It seems the difference between the 168 and 163 is large enough to make a difference in chances.  any thoughts on charity work? i was thinking it would behoove me to commit to a more serious time commintment to one of the groups i currently work with.  Just to show more in-depth involvement.  i thought even trying CASA as it would show an interest in the law etc.. but i'm already involved with hospice and american cancer society so perhaps i should stick with those two and just get more involved. i am sure many law school apps volunteer for casa. 

pop_tort

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 06:23:45 PM »
This is probably a no brainer.  When I first took the lsat i was disappointed with the score 158. I took it as a sign that graduate school wasin my future.  A year and a half later I sat for the LSAt again, with much better results 168.  Now if I wait another year before applying the 158 will not count for many schools.  Yet the 168 will, so I won't have to take the average of 163.  Therefore my shot at some of my dream schools, looks better.  I just worry about the lost year.  But then i console myself with the notion of more money in the bank.. I don't know.  I've been aout of college now for 3 years and for the greater part of that wrestled with grad school versus law school.  I finally made up my mind, and prepared myslef to apply and go. Yet now I am thinking it may be better to wait a year gain some more WE (as i actually now have a real job) that actually looks like work instead of my camp counselor and odd job bits.  Any thoughts?

Three years out is not a long time... Waiting one more year to get a five point increase seems totally worth it. And you'll get to save up more money for school.

Besides, you've practically got the cat in the bag - 4 years work experience AND a 168??? If your GPA is decent, I hear some scholarship money coming your way....cha-ching!

KayakAnyone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2005, 07:53:50 AM »
Thanks to everyone for the replies.  I seriously doubt the scholarship opportunities.  However, I do think waiting will enable me to attend schools that would be out of the question if i were to apply this year.  Thanks.

lincolnsgrandson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 06:34:49 AM »
What's the "real" job?  Is it something that reflects skill and leadership?  If it's another year of doing something like camp counseling, it doesn't help you.

KayakAnyone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2005, 02:12:12 PM »
"real job" = human resource coordinator.