Law School Discussion

25 days till LSAT...highest schore thus far 152...chances of hitting 165?

Ok....I am taking the TM prep course...and so far on my diags I have gone from: Diag 1: 149, Diag 2: 147, Diag 3: 150, Practice test 1: 152.

I am taking another practice test tomorrow...and one on Friday....I'll see how I do....but I really dont know if it's possible to get into the 160's by Oct 1. My goal is 165+, but if I am not in the 160's thus far, what are the chances I will be consistent enough to get into the 160's on test day??

I am doing relatively well on the LR (usually 7-10 wrong...feel I can improve)...for some reason I just can't stay consistent on the RC (avg about 8 wrong, normally due to time), and the games I can usually get any game right, but it takes me way too long....sometimes I can nail them in 5min..usually it takes me about 13-16min.

Right now...I am studying for about 6-8 hours a day...before I was only getting in about 3-4 hours a day...so hopefully this will help. Anyone else in a similar situation?? What do you guys think is the best plan of action?

loveless

• Law school is NICE!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 25 days till LSAT...highest schore thus far 152...chances of hitting 165?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 07:08:52 PM »
I had a 154 on my first diagnostic, which I took about a month before the test. I ended up with a 166 on test day.

I studied maybe 2 hours a day, and lived a really balanced lifestyle. I focused when studying, and took it seriously. I figured out what I was good at and let it be, and attacked my weaknesses.

I went up quickly from a 154 to a 165, back to 159, then 163, then 166 on test day.

r.

• Hey psycho stalker spy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 07:08:56 PM »
I would say your chances of hitting 165 on Oct. 1 are very small. Why not keep at it until December, if you feel like you are still improving...why bother taking it if you're not sure if you are peaking yet? I started out at 155 but it has taken me 4 months to get from 165 to 170. And this is just practice.

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 07:19:10 PM »
ya, that's what im thinking....Dec LSAT is probably the way to go...it just sucks that I will have to apply so late in the cycle....though not as bad as a horrible lsat score.

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 02:02:52 AM »
hey newguy, I am in the same position as you right now, almost.

Taking TM just like you, on my first diag I got a 152, and on the second one I got a 152 as well. I am taking my 3rd diag this saturday and I am pretty nervous about it. I have been studying on average 6 hours a day and 5 days a week, even though it had never been 6 hours of intense non-stop studying, I felt I got pretty good understanding and practices out of the times spent.

I have no clue what I am going to get on Oct 1st. Of course I am aiming for over 160, and I have been since the first day. However, i don't think I'll push back my testing dates another two months back, I really can't take two more months of locking myself in the room and munching on lsat questions every f-ing day.

I think this 3rd diag is going to be a really important indicator on how well I am progressing, and if I am progressing at all. Wish me luck guys.

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2005, 06:40:39 AM »
Original poster-don't let anyone discourage you about what you're capable of. Sure, you can hit 165. My scores on practice tests that I've taken in the past week have varied by 14 points. If you get stuck in the mindset that you won't be able to score above a certain number because some random person on a Web site says it's impossible, then you probably won't do well. But you know your abilities much better than anyone on this board.(And carefully consider the ramifications before moving your test date to December. Even if you did raise your score, a late application could hurt you more, depending on the school).

gailrules

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2005, 06:46:15 AM »
Have you considered taking a year off? That would give you time to really get your score up to something you'll be much happier with. Plus, a little work experience is only going to help you.

The law schools aren't going anywhere. You'll have a lot more options available to you if you wait and get your score up than if you get a 152 on the Oct/Dec exam

Just my $.02.

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2005, 11:57:49 AM »
I already graduated this June...so technically...this will be my year off  ::)   

I just need to keep plugging away I guess....you can learn a lot in 20 days or so....

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2005, 12:02:36 PM »
For what it's worth, I showed all of my improvement in the last one-two weeks before the test the last time I took it.  I was in a similar position and went up about 10 points.  Keep plugging away and it'll come.

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2005, 12:22:47 PM »
Scoring even a few points higher in December will greatly outweight what benefit you may have received by applying early.  I say wait until Dec.