Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: June 2004 reading comprehension  (Read 1404 times)

friendly

• View Profile
    • Email
June 2004 reading comprehension
« on: June 23, 2004, 09:08:58 AM »

I am debating whether or not to cancel, so have a couple questions.

First, I am unsure whether or not I finished all 28 questions.  I thought I remember filling in 27 questions.  So, what I want to ask is this: does anyone remember the last question (and answer) to the last question, question 28 in reading comp? It was for the passage about intellectual freedom at universities, and I'm hoping some posts will let me know if I got to and answered that question.

Second, I just want to make sure if I indeed got that question wrong/right re: reader-response criticism that asked which best characterizes the spirit of reader-response crit.  The two choices were between a folk artist who incorporates long-held tropes (or meanings or something) from folk art in his work and between a director who shows a play of shakespeare in japan.  There was an earlier posting about this, and people seemed to agree on the latter choice.  however: i guess i just don't see why; doesn't reader-response criticism use the history of a work's reception in order to decide upon a work's cultural context and therefore meaning or significance?  in other words, what relevance would showing a work in an altogether different setting have upon the history of a work's reception?  maybe i'm wrong though, and i have a feeling i may be.  just let me know what you all think.

nathanielmark

Re: June 2004 reading comprehension
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2004, 09:16:55 AM »
bah, i think this was another one i had to guess on.  wasnt it what would the author likely agree with?  (the academic freedom one) i chose shakespeare for the other.

JiggityJig

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2004, 09:29:52 AM »
I've no idea about the last one in the intellectual property section, but the Shakespeare is a question I actually remember!  I can't believe how much some of you retained.

We can't really know for sure yet, but I think the reasoning behind picking the Japanese reinterpretation of Shakespeare over the folk art is that reader-response criticism is about the reader bringing his or her individual spin to an interpretation of an existing work.  In the context of the passage (even though there's obviously a lot more to the theory than presented, but we only have their word to go on and can't reach outside the reading), it's not about the history of a work's criticism or "deciding" a unified assessment of its significance -- readers are free to completely ignore previous critical assessments if they desire.  So in the case of the folk artist (if that's how that option was worded, I'm not sure), themes from existing folk works are being brought to a new piece of art being created -- the opposite of what happens in reader-response criticism, where something new and individual can be brought to an existing piece.  This is why the retooled Shakespeare seemed to work, the director is bringing a new context influenced by his individual situation to the existing work.

I could be completely off-base with that, but that was my reasoning.

shadowcreeper

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2004, 10:13:01 AM »
I also chose the Shakespeare answer for the same reason more or less. Reader response deals with outside people bringing their own experiences and cultures into their interpretation of an authors writings. I think that the answer choice was something about Shakespeare in Japan being modified or modernized or something. That would mean that someones interpretation and experiences would be shaping the new version of shakespeare's play.

But that is just my thoughts.
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself absurd.
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself be heard.
Nobody's gonna stand in my way.
Give it up son, I'm doin this my way.. Seether

http://lawschoolhopeful.blogspot.com/

M2

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2004, 11:00:18 AM »
yep...shakespeare in japan

nathanielmark

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2004, 11:13:34 AM »

M2, what about the other one? from the IP passage? 

M2

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2004, 11:38:33 AM »

M2, what about the other one? from the IP passage? 

Do you remember the answer choices?

shadowcreeper

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2004, 11:39:37 AM »
or the question?
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself absurd.
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself be heard.
Nobody's gonna stand in my way.
Give it up son, I'm doin this my way.. Seether

http://lawschoolhopeful.blogspot.com/

nathanielmark

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2004, 11:41:57 AM »
or the question?

were the answer choices like "institutions always do what is in their best interests", "institutions could improve profitability by making conditions more favorable to inovation" or something.  maybe?

i dont know why i even bother thinking about this, i wont remember what i picked on this one anyway...

$ones

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2004, 01:35:07 PM »
I got shakespeare in japan...

the other one: I think it was which one would the author would agree with - I chose somethin like "institutions could improve profitability by making conditions more favorable to inovation"