Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Very Overwhelmed...Am I being unrealistic?  (Read 739 times)

gordonma

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cheers
    • AOL Instant Messenger - xikillamikeix
    • View Profile
    • Email
Very Overwhelmed...Am I being unrealistic?
« on: September 06, 2005, 03:06:09 AM »
Im starting to get real depressed and overwhelmed as the application process draws near. Am i being unrealistic that I will get into law school? I have a 3.622 (3.59 LSAC) and a 152(53%) lsat. Went to SHU undergrad. Misc activities such as Pre law frat president, honor societies, essay contests, etc. No impressive work experience... going directly from undergrad to law school. Good LORs and PS. I thought i would have a decent chance at places like syracuse, quinnipiac, shu part time, (reaching) for rutgers part time, safety as widener, stuff like that... but a friend just informed me that her 3.6 and 150 kept her out of everywhere last year! She didnt get accepted anywhere. Now i am totally going nuts. I cant see taking a year off and I cant think of any job I will get with a philosophy degree! My whole life's plan was to graduate then head straight to law school. Im not even tryin to get into a great school. Ideally i would love a bottom 2nd tier and id settle on a third tier. I cant see myself going to a 4th tier, but now i feel id be lucky if i even got in there! I have been debating so much whether to retake the lsat or not, but I am not confident i can do much better and i cant take some time off to study.

I dunno i am probably just ranting now I just have been so upset after recieving that lsat score and getting the news from my friend about all of her rejections. I guess i could use some reassurance or some cold hard facts. I know law school is right for me, I proved my work ethic throughout all of undergrad... i cant believe like all these years of getting great grades and being on the deanslist may get washed away by one stupid test though, its ridiculous.

Well anyway, thanks for listening everyone and i would really love it if u guys would chime in and give me ur advice or opinions or thoughts on all this. Im just so stressed right now with all this law school stuff its horrible! thanks again... take care

-Mike
Seton Hall School of Law 1L come the Fall
Lets go Pirates!

Law_Woman

Re: Very Overwhelmed...Am I being unrealistic?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 03:36:49 AM »
Focus on your PS and your recomendations. Also, apply to at least 10 law schools, even ones you wouldn't normally consider.
After a year at a 4th teir with great grades you can transfer to somewhere you want to be.

If you are forced to take a year off then do something like joining Americorp.

Im starting to get real depressed and overwhelmed as the application process draws near. Am i being unrealistic that I will get into law school? I have a 3.622 (3.59 LSAC) and a 152(53%) lsat. Went to SHU undergrad. Misc activities such as Pre law frat president, honor societies, essay contests, etc. No impressive work experience... going directly from undergrad to law school. Good LORs and PS. I thought i would have a decent chance at places like syracuse, quinnipiac, shu part time, (reaching) for rutgers part time, safety as widener, stuff like that... but a friend just informed me that her 3.6 and 150 kept her out of everywhere last year! She didnt get accepted anywhere. Now i am totally going nuts. I cant see taking a year off and I cant think of any job I will get with a philosophy degree! My whole life's plan was to graduate then head straight to law school. Im not even tryin to get into a great school. Ideally i would love a bottom 2nd tier and id settle on a third tier. I cant see myself going to a 4th tier, but now i feel id be lucky if i even got in there! I have been debating so much whether to retake the lsat or not, but I am not confident i can do much better and i cant take some time off to study.

I dunno i am probably just ranting now I just have been so upset after recieving that lsat score and getting the news from my friend about all of her rejections. I guess i could use some reassurance or some cold hard facts. I know law school is right for me, I proved my work ethic throughout all of undergrad... i cant believe like all these years of getting great grades and being on the deanslist may get washed away by one stupid test though, its ridiculous.

Well anyway, thanks for listening everyone and i would really love it if u guys would chime in and give me ur advice or opinions or thoughts on all this. Im just so stressed right now with all this law school stuff its horrible! thanks again... take care

-Mike

cannotpick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 10:25:07 AM »
Everybody can get into A law school. There are very few scores that will keep you out of law school all together. Even the guy with a 3.0 & 148 can get into a school, it just depends where you apply. Your friend who never got in anywhere obviously just applied to too many reaches & not enough safetys. Don't expect to make it into a top tier school, but you can get into some respectable regional schools.
'08 graduate of Brooklyn Law

...The Dude abides...

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 11:10:34 AM »
First off, deep breaths.

Ah, ok.  You definetly have a chance.  You did get over 150, which means you won't have the massive uphill climb that something in the 140s brings.  I would echo what everyone else said, and add that unless you studied your ass off for the LSAT and took a class, worked through books, took lots of practice tests, etc. you should consider re-taking it in December, possibly February, and applying very early next cycle.  If you don't want to do that, you have to apply as early as possible.  Send applications so they show up the first day allowed.  And make sure you're applying to a good mix of schools.  If you're worried, add a couple of safeties.

NiceGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 04:25:37 PM »
Hang in there! It is an overwhelming experience.