books=tranquilizer?

Young Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-More Careful
    • View Profile
Re: I Can't Read
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2005, 09:30:33 PM »
... for long periods of time.
After about 10 or 15 minutes I start falling asleep. Does anyone else have this problem? How do you deal with it?

On a serious note, that will be a problem in Law School. The amount of reading is crazy and I get agitated when I sit still to long. I work out to tire myself before reading then I can sit still. For you working out will work too. You will be very tired physically but for some reason mentally you will be very alert, so I suggest a strong work out plan, and one-a-day vitamins. Trust me they help.  I also find that making the reading fun will also help. I paraphrase cases when I read them. I might read a case and paraphrase in my head to say "ol' girl threw a bottle at this chick who was sleeping with her baby daddy, but missed and hit some random dude, was ol' girl guilty of battery cuz she missed her trifling baby daddy?" Trust me it helps keep your attention, just don't repeat it like that when your professor ask you to summarize the case in class.

seu2002

Re: I Can't Read
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2005, 09:19:21 PM »
... for long periods of time.
After about 10 or 15 minutes I start falling asleep. Does anyone else have this problem? How do you deal with it?

On a serious note, that will be a problem in Law School. The amount of reading is crazy and I get agitated when I sit still to long. I work out to tire myself before reading then I can sit still. For you working out will work too. You will be very tired physically but for some reason mentally you will be very alert, so I suggest a strong work out plan, and one-a-day vitamins. Trust me they help.  I also find that making the reading fun will also help. I paraphrase cases when I read them. I might read a case and paraphrase in my head to say "ol' girl threw a bottle at this chick who was sleeping with her baby daddy, but missed and hit some random dude, was ol' girl guilty of battery cuz she missed her trifling baby daddy?" Trust me it helps keep your attention, just don't repeat it like that when your professor ask you to summarize the case in class.

I agree 100%.  I was having the same problems, but I found that after long and particularly strenuous runs I was more focused and eager to get my reading done.  My only problem is finding the time to squeeze 30-45 min runs, stretching, showering, messing with my hair, rehydrating and nourishing myself in order to supplement my runs into my already packed days.  You know that you can't just run and call it a day-- gotta do what needs to be done to make sure the runs are paying off.  So I run everyday during the weekends then try hard to squeeze a run or 2 in during the week.  I don't know how I will fare once the snow starts falling.  :(