Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why affirmative action is unfair to minorities  (Read 4498 times)

TrojanChispas

• Sr. Citizen
  • , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
Re: Why affirmative action is unfair to minorities
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2005, 07:36:56 PM »
I'm touched that you are being so considerate. To think, you are advocating against AA because you have somehow come to the conclusion that it is actually against the best interest of minorties. As a person of color, I thank you for your concern. But don't lose any more sleep over it. It may make you feel better to know that if I do manage to get into a "top" law school, I will be eyeing a few of my colleagues suspiciously and wondering who got in because daddy's a particularly generous alum.

I think the point you raise is an excellent one. Not only do certain racial, ethnic and gender groupings sometimes receive preferential treatment in law school admissions but the daughters and sons of generous alumns and others with "connections" often do as well. I feel this practice should also be eliminated. In my opinion, only fair, objective criteria should be evaluated, while all other factors should be absent in making admission decisions. Its the legal profession we are dealing with here--fairness and equality, in the purest sense, is what we should striving for in every regard.

Reasonable point of view, it is just your support for this point of view is suspect. For example, lets say you are black and go to public school. All the other black kids get a free lunch, but you don't. The other kids start thinking you're poor because of their perception. Under your arguement, we should eliminate free lunch for all these other kids because of the unfair perception it creates for you. Insane.
Arab Majority May Not Stay Forever Silent
http://www.nysun.com/article/36110?page_no=1

John Galt

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2005, 08:35:51 PM »
This has got to be the weakest argument ever for eliminating affirmative action. We should eliminate a beneficial program because of the way people percieve all blacks in higher education? First, those people would be ignorant for generalizing, and second, African Americans are quite aware of the social challenges they face once out of school. It would be good for both the 3.4, 156 and the 3.9/174 to remember that high performance will eliminate any doubts.

Clarence Thomas seems to be stuck on this point as well. But were it not for affirmative action, he would not have been a Yale graduate, he would not have been head of the Civil Rights Commission, he would not be a Supreme Court Justice irrespective of his ability. Affirmative Action opened up the doors of opportunity for him - doors that would have been closed otherwise.

People are going to have their perception's of black folks regardless. I'm more worried about the social ramfications in a society without affirmative action.

Please correct me if i'm wrong, but wouldn't Ayn Rand be about the last person on earth to advocate for AA?

Who is Ayn Rand? hahaha...jk.

pop_tort

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2005, 10:33:10 PM »
I would like to see the day where a Harvard grad is a Harvard grad, a day where no one could downgrade ones accomplishment by appealing to a certain program. When a newly ordained African American man with a Harvard law degree first sets foot in a courtroom, I hope the opposing council, in a moment of sheer terror, mentions to one of his associates, without qualifying the accomplishment,"I think this guy is a Harvard grad, Oh, Sh%t," rather than, "This guy is from Harvard I think. Oh well, he IS black." 

Ummmm... when in the past hundred-some years has a Harvard grad not been seen as a Harvard grad? I don't care if the grad is brown, pink, yellow, black, or white.... Last time we all checked, a Harvard grad IS a Harvard grad!!!

FU, these little conversations you have in your head are retarded!! These are not the things that associates sit down and think about think about!! If you want to go to an extremely negative level, you should talk about how a black male who despite going to Harvard can STILL get passed up for opportunites in today's legal market!

If you want to go to an extremely positive level, you could talk about how a black male who came from a family of 9 with no father, worked since he was sixteen, put himself through college, couldn't afford some prissy LSAT class because he was helping send money home to his mom, didn't get a "stellar" LSAT score because he was working 35 hours a week during undergrad but still conveyed himself more than well enough on his apps to show his potential and had letters and decent grades to back it up gets into Harvard, or some T1 or even T2 school. He does even better in law school, makes law review, gets and externship, and is off to a big fabulous job after his three years are up. At the end of the day, who gives a hoot about HOW this guy got into law school? the Adcomm is not retarded like you! It's not like the Harvard Adcomm just sits around and throughs darts at names and admit people! Anyways, the point is that this guy GRADUATED from law school, and did well enough to have a superb job and great start to his legal career.

What about the white people who are in T2 and T3 schools who TRANSFER into T14 and other T1 schools? Do you think people have to sit down and speculate about how they got into law school?? "Well, you know U Chicago accepts transfers--- Geeee, I wonder if Bill *gasp* transfered into his law school!?" Who cares how you get into law school - if you finish, and do well, WHO CARES?!? A law school grad is that much further ahead than they were 3 years before.... why waste your breath having that discussion?!?

Even if a few minorities do get in based on affirmative action, it is MINIMAL compared to the majority/white population of law students. I have friends in various law schools where the black population doesn't even hit the double digits in percentage, and some of those same schools are lucky to even hit 15% in their minority population. So yeah, if FOUR our of the 10 black students in a 1L class got in under some type of special admissions program, hey, let em have it. Four freakin people out of a 200-some person class is no sweat off anyone's back. And if you want to whine about a white student or non-AA student who you *think* somehow lost out on a seat beacause of 4 black students, why don't you pitt their stats againts the other 190 majority students or 196 students as a whole who could have possibly beat them out for a seat (that includes legacies, rich kids, and even white kids with "lower" #s that also have stellar apps outside of the numbers game.....)

Sadly, our society is NOT colorblind, and I doubt we will see that happen in our lifetime. Sure, you prob. weren't around to experience the civil rights movement and get sprayed by a waterhose or something, but the sad reality is that today, minorities are still fighting for civil rights and against discrimination. You can't deny it. So when society gets it's freakin act together, we'll call off AA and just people one group of people, instead of operating under this divide-and-rule way of life.

gosox

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2005, 03:34:29 PM »
egg foo yung