Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Kanye West Comment  (Read 13064 times)

ThePerfectSoldier

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SuzukiAkira138
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Kanye West Comment
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2005, 10:38:51 AM »
*clap* *clap*

Yes, what a genius Kanye is. Let's see, when you run a drive to raise money, the idea is not to piss off the people that you are there to raise money from. Now, right or wrong the statement was inapproptiate because he just isolated approximately 50% of the population that voted for the Bush administration. Good job, Kanye, you talentless twit. Hey, if we piss off more people, we'll be able to raise less money!

I love how people refuse to see the forest for the stinking trees.

Because obviously people would stop donating to dying people because Kanye West annoyed them.  Good job, social drinker, you senseless twit.

ThePerfectSoldier

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SuzukiAkira138
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2005, 10:47:02 AM »

bull.  This 'bad timing' mentality is retarded.  His message reached a lot of viewers, as did the money raised by him and the others at that benefit.  Maybe you like seeing the same message regurgitated over and over by random celebrities and feel that by going off the script Kanye was somehow neglecting his responsibilities - well then let me row a canoe in a New Orleans flood-high river of my tears for you.

But, for just a second, let's pretend that there was some other outlet for Kanye West to say what he did.  What, you want him to kick out a single about this?  You want him to go on an interview about the hurricane and say it then? You want him to wait a few weeks for a few dozen more people to die before he calls the government out on this bull, or should he do it at his first public opportunity?  Would you wait?  If so, YOU are the one who's criticism is at an inopportune time.

I contest your point that his message struck him with a lot of potential contributors & made money for the cause. He just stirred up controversy & alienated 1/2 of the whites in America. You're living in a fantasy world if you think that all of a sudden Red Cross' phones started ringing off the hook with donation pledges as soon as Kanye was awkwardly yanked off the air.

When did I want him to say it?! Well, my vote is for never. Even though I don't agree with a lot doughboy said, he's right that this is the same old swan song. When in doubt, complain about racism. I agree that Bush hasn't handled this well, but just throwing around the phrase "Bush doesn't care about black people" isn't going to open people's eyes. It just sounds like another whiney cop out (b/c it is). Money makes the world go round. Any delay in responding to this disaster by the Bush administration is centered around money. Everyone who had a dime to their name got the heck out of there. Those that are left are dirt poor. Theoretically, each individual in a democracy should matter as much as everyone else. But, when you are talking about those that don't pay taxes, don't vote, do receive gov't subsidies, etc they simply don't count as much as the rich. Yes, those that are poor in that area are mainly minorities. How did it get like that? Well, that's an argument for another day (& I will still contest that race is more of a sufficient than a necessary condition). But, if you want to complain, talk about it in terms that everyone can understand: money. Then maybe you won't alienate as many people ass that no talent ass clown Kanye did.

And I contest your point about what Kanye West said has *&^% to do with people donating or not.  If anyone is enough of an a-hole to stop a donation to people in need because some random celebrity said something they didn't like, they should be the ones in New Orleans drowning.  If I recall, Kanye did mention poor people along with black people, so I'm not sure where you're getting at there, either.  The fact that you made the point that everyone should matter equally "theoretically" makes this a conversation not worth having.

I love how, whenever someone disagrees with a celebrity they pull out the "no talent" card(which, in this case, is utter bull).  Go back to the coffee shop and debate this there.

mivida2k

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do I Really Need to Answer This Question
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2005, 02:46:10 PM »
"Cut it out, get on with your lives, and understand that no American wants to see any other Americans dead anywhere"

In what country do you live? Have you ever heard the phrase, "only good N..... is a dead N......" ? Well I have. So forgive me for not agreeing with you.

There may be .01 percent of whites that actually believe that, and of those that believe it, a further .01 percent would actually want to see it happen or be willing to carry it into fruition. In turn, I've also heard all the love out there for white policemen by certain members of the minority community. Silly comments that don't matter cut both ways, and yet, still don't matter.

Unfortunately ignorance spreads beyond .01 percent.
The president's approval rating has dropped to 33 percent, matching his low in May. His handling of nearly every issue, from the Iraq war to foreign policy, contributed to the president's decline around the nation, even in the Republican-friendly South.

TrojanChispas

• Sr. Citizen
  • , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2005, 04:11:14 PM »
Average White Guy checking in to comment. I voted for Bush both times, and I have supported much of what he has done. At times, I thought he has done very well.

I am deeply disappointed in his actions and inactions in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. He flat-out failed.

He should have been on the ground in New Orleans at least by Wednesday. (Aside: In the immediate aftermath of the hurricane, it looked like the city, although badly damaged, had dodged a bullet.) He should have been on national T.V. calling the nation into action. Asking state and city leaders throughout the region and throughout the country to send buses and helicopters to New Orleans to evacuate the city. Asking school districts throughout the region to shut down if necessary so that the buses could help in New Orleans. Obviously, FEMA should have moved much more quickly, and although I'm not sure how much Bush is to blame for that, he is the President and must take responsibility. "The Buck Stops Here" attitude.

I agree with the restrained answer Jesse Jackson gave when asked if he thought that Bush didn't care about Black people. Jackson said that Bush's actions didn't show it.

I don't know if Bush doesn't care about Blacks or if that had anything to do with his slow reaction. I hope that is not true. But I can certainly understand the feeling of people like blk_reign.esq when they say that the reaction would have been swifter if this had happened in the Hamptons. He certainly left room for doubt.

I would like to apologize on behalf of Republicans and Anglo-Americans for the president's tremendous lack of leadership on this occasion.

ps.

f the dodgers :-*
HTH
Arab Majority May Not Stay Forever Silent
http://www.nysun.com/article/36110?page_no=1

mivida2k

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2005, 07:03:19 PM »

He just ... alienated 1/2 of the whites in America.

Well what does that say about them. 

Therefore, Kanye's comments go beyond just Dubya.
The president's approval rating has dropped to 33 percent, matching his low in May. His handling of nearly every issue, from the Iraq war to foreign policy, contributed to the president's decline around the nation, even in the Republican-friendly South.

SolarysBlue

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2005, 07:37:50 PM »
I agree with breadboy. The mayor had a whole fleet of school buses at his disposal. Didn't he say on a radio show he didn't F*** want school buses but greyhounds? As I recall the day or so after the hurricane everyone was saying that New Orleans had dodged a bullet. Yes, the president did a horrible job but so did that mayor.

social drinker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2005, 08:27:36 PM »
*clap* *clap*

Yes, what a genius Kanye is. Let's see, when you run a drive to raise money, the idea is not to piss off the people that you are there to raise money from. Now, right or wrong the statement was inapproptiate because he just isolated approximately 50% of the population that voted for the Bush administration. Good job, Kanye, you talentless twit. Hey, if we piss off more people, we'll be able to raise less money!

I love how people refuse to see the forest for the stinking trees.

Because obviously people would stop donating to dying people because Kanye West annoyed them.  Good job, social drinker, you senseless twit.

When you make a point worth replying to, I'll acknowledge you further, skippy.  Now run off back to your playhouse.  Adults are talking.

social drinker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2005, 08:48:08 PM »

bull.  This 'bad timing' mentality is retarded.  His message reached a lot of viewers, as did the money raised by him and the others at that benefit.  Maybe you like seeing the same message regurgitated over and over by random celebrities and feel that by going off the script Kanye was somehow neglecting his responsibilities - well then let me row a canoe in a New Orleans flood-high river of my tears for you.

But, for just a second, let's pretend that there was some other outlet for Kanye West to say what he did.  What, you want him to kick out a single about this?  You want him to go on an interview about the hurricane and say it then? You want him to wait a few weeks for a few dozen more people to die before he calls the government out on this bull, or should he do it at his first public opportunity?  Would you wait?  If so, YOU are the one who's criticism is at an inopportune time.

I contest your point that his message struck him with a lot of potential contributors & made money for the cause. He just stirred up controversy & alienated 1/2 of the whites in America. You're living in a fantasy world if you think that all of a sudden Red Cross' phones started ringing off the hook with donation pledges as soon as Kanye was awkwardly yanked off the air.

When did I want him to say it?! Well, my vote is for never. Even though I don't agree with a lot doughboy said, he's right that this is the same old swan song. When in doubt, complain about racism. I agree that Bush hasn't handled this well, but just throwing around the phrase "Bush doesn't care about black people" isn't going to open people's eyes. It just sounds like another whiney cop out (b/c it is). Money makes the world go round. Any delay in responding to this disaster by the Bush administration is centered around money. Everyone who had a dime to their name got the heck out of there. Those that are left are dirt poor. Theoretically, each individual in a democracy should matter as much as everyone else. But, when you are talking about those that don't pay taxes, don't vote, do receive gov't subsidies, etc they simply don't count as much as the rich. Yes, those that are poor in that area are mainly minorities. How did it get like that? Well, that's an argument for another day (& I will still contest that race is more of a sufficient than a necessary condition). But, if you want to complain, talk about it in terms that everyone can understand: money. Then maybe you won't alienate as many people ass that no talent ass clown Kanye did.

And I contest your point about what Kanye West said has *&^% to do with people donating or not.  If anyone is enough of an a-hole to stop a donation to people in need because some random celebrity said something they didn't like, they should be the ones in New Orleans drowning.  If I recall, Kanye did mention poor people along with black people, so I'm not sure where you're getting at there, either.  The fact that you made the point that everyone should matter equally "theoretically" makes this a conversation not worth having.

I love how, whenever someone disagrees with a celebrity they pull out the "no talent" card(which, in this case, is utter bull).  Go back to the coffee shop and debate this there.

I won't lie, I don't listen to Kanye.  I gave it a listen to be fair, but it was nothing special.  He'll be replaced by someone else next year.  It's the way pop music is.

Anyway, back on topic, it doesn't matter whether you agree with it or not, but the comment obviously created controversy or we wouldn't be discussing it right now.  It pissed people off.  A Red Cross fundraising drive is not the appropriate forum for making off-the-cuff political commentary, not matter how ad-libbed.  His actions isolated contributors and that is counter-productive, period.  If he wants to female dog, then he has ample opportunity to do it on his next album, in an interview, basically anywhere he likes.  The guy made a bad decision.

However, I have to wonder how much of his statement was made out of genuine concern and how much was made to look "hard" and establish credibility.  His "@#!* the man" attitude is certainly popular right now at a time when people are searching desparately for a place to lay blame.  Whether blame lies with the Bush administration or not, this comment has succeeded in thrusting him into the spot light.  There truly is no such thing as bad press, after all.  The quote does not hold true for taste, however.

mivida2k

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2005, 08:55:11 PM »

And I contest your point about what Kanye West said has sh*t to do with people donating or not.  If anyone is enough of an meanie to stop a donation to people in need because some random celebrity said something they didn't like, they should be the ones in New Orleans drowning.  If I recall, Kanye did mention poor people along with black people, so I'm not sure where you're getting at there, either.  The fact that you made the point that everyone should matter equally "theoretically" makes this a conversation not worth having.

I won't lie, I don't listen to Kanye.  I gave it a listen to be fair, but it was nothing special.  He'll be replaced by someone else next year.  It's the way pop music is.

Anyway, back on topic, it doesn't matter whether you agree with it or not, but the comment obviously created controversy or we wouldn't be discussing it right now.  It pissed people off.  A Red Cross fundraising drive is not the appropriate forum for making off-the-cuff political commentary, not matter how ad-libbed.  His actions isolated contributors and that is counter-productive, period.  If he wants to female dog, then he has ample opportunity to do it on his next album, in an interview, basically anywhere he likes.  The guy made a bad decision.

However, I have to wonder how much of his statement was made out of genuine concern and how much was made to look "hard" and establish credibility.  His "#@!* the man" attitude is certainly popular right now at a time when people are searching desparately for a place to lay blame.  Whether blame lies with the Bush administration or not, this comment has succeeded in thrusting him into the spot light.  There truly is no such thing as bad press, after all.  The quote does not hold true for taste, however.

Kanye has never been about being hard.

TrojanChispas

• Sr. Citizen
  • , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2005, 09:16:24 PM »
I hate to say it, but there is some legitimacy to the argument against the timing of Kanye's comment.  If he wanted to raise as much money as possible, he might have tried to avoid any statement that might alienate people from the other side of the aisle.  After all, the people that have the most money to donate are not black and those that are dont need to be told what they already know. 

A better, more timely argument to make would be to indict the government as incompetent and that is why RC needs your donations.

BTW I agree wholeheartedly with Kanye's comment and if Bush does care about black people then there is scant evidence from this incident to prove it.
Arab Majority May Not Stay Forever Silent
http://www.nysun.com/article/36110?page_no=1