Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Kanye West Comment  (Read 12520 times)

ThePerfectSoldier

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SuzukiAkira138
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Kanye West Comment
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2005, 04:22:23 PM »
gwbush once said, "i love america and its citizens."...

aren't black people citizens of america?

Oh, you're right.  Silly us, of course he had no motive other than complete and utter truth to say something like that.  Good find, bluewarrior, you Stephen Hawking you.

Young Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-More Careful
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2005, 09:43:43 PM »
Ok here I am to shut the game down.

Iím glad Kanye said what he said because it needed to be said. This is all about shock value and the unexpected. Jesse Jackson and Mark Muriel of the Urban League have been saying the same thing. However, it is easy to pass them off as radicals who are always complaining about something. I believe that although distasteful, Kanye's comment shocked the other side in the since that he is not the person they expect to hear that from, especially not in that type of venue. The truth of the matter is when you are out of the ordinary in an ordinary situation; people are forced to listen whether they want to or not. That is what happened when Kanye went of on his rant, people had to listen, because as soon as you see a traditional Civil Rights activist you can tune them out. But youíre not automatically trained to do that with a mainstream rapper at a benefit function. Itís the simple shock value that makes people listen when they donít want to, ask Malcolm X.

XYZZY

« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2005, 09:53:32 PM »

inapropriate? naw..hardly

perhaps someone will say Bush doesn't care about old people at Rehnquist's funeral.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2005, 10:08:47 PM »
so did you guys hear Celine Dion's statements on Larry King live last night? I don't see that being talked about here..
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

ThePerfectSoldier

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SuzukiAkira138
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2005, 10:45:01 PM »
What did she say?

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2005, 10:55:01 PM »
What did she say?

Hopefully what everyone else has been saying, viz. that what has happened and is happening in New Orleans is a national disgrace.  And hopefully that Canadians and Canadian relief organizations are more than willing to help out down there, if only state and federal officials would get their sh!t together.
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

Sleezstak

« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2005, 11:06:22 PM »

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0509/03/lkl.03.html

her interview is about half way down. 

John Galt

« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2005, 12:50:47 AM »
I, for one, think that Bush's response to this disaster has been disgraceful. I expect that leaders in the democratic party and civil rights activists to ask for his resignation. Moreover, President Bush's attempt to divert attention away from the hurricane crisis by announcing he would nominate a person to replace Rehinquist and his insistance of Roberts nomination to continue this week shows just how political minded he is. I have reserved opinion on George W. Bush for many years, but his performance as President in this aftermath has been pathetic.

Now we might have an oil crisis if we can't reopen the refineries in New Orleans, we're spending hundreds of millions of dollars a month in Iraq, and now we have a massive multi-billion dollar rebuilding project on our hands. Who else still thinks tax cuts were a good idea? Especially tax cuts favoring the rich over the less fortunate?

Had Clinton been President, he would've been down at that Stadium the day after the storm shaking hands and making the people feel like everything was going to be ok. He would've had troops on the ground ASAP and he would've called a special session of Congress to secure the funding earlier. He would've been on FEMA's ass from day one. Clinton would've been in the water talking to survivors and he would've made a speech outlining our options. Bush campaigned in 2000 that he was no Clinton - and that is probably his main problem.

I'm disgusted.

mivida2k

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do I Really Need to Answer This Question
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2005, 12:56:27 AM »
I, for one, think that Bush's response to this disaster has been disgraceful. I expect that leaders in the democratic party and civil rights activists to ask for his resignation. Moreover, President Bush's attempt to divert attention away from the hurricane crisis by announcing he would nominate a person to replace Rehinquist and his insistance of Roberts nomination to continue this week shows just how political minded he is. I have reserved opinion on George W. Bush for many years, but his performance as President in this aftermath has been pathetic.

Now we might have an oil crisis if we can reopen the refineries in New Orleans, we're spending hundreds of millions of dollars a month in Iraq, and now we have a massive multi-billion dollar rebuilding project on our hands. Who else still thinks tax cuts were a good idea? Especially tax cuts favoring the rich over the less fortunate?

Had Clinton been President, he would've been down at that Stadium the day after the storm shaking hands and making the people feel like everything was going to be ok. He would've had troops on the ground ASAP and he would've called a special session of Congress to secure the funding earlier. He would've been on FEMA's ass from day one. Clinton would've been in the water talking to survivors and he would've made a speech outlining our options. Bush campaigned in 2000 that he was no Clinton - and that is probably his main problem.

I'm disgusted.

Amen.
The president's approval rating has dropped to 33 percent, matching his low in May. His handling of nearly every issue, from the Iraq war to foreign policy, contributed to the president's decline around the nation, even in the Republican-friendly South.

t L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2005, 01:11:24 AM »

Now we might have an oil crisis if we can reopen the refineries in New Orleans, we're spending hundreds of millions of dollars a month in Iraq, and now we have a massive multi-billion dollar rebuilding project on our hands. Who else still thinks tax cuts were a good idea? Especially tax cuts favoring the rich over the less fortunate?

I'm disgusted.

www.truth.com
Michigan 2L