Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Kanye West Comment  (Read 12649 times)

dividebyzero

• Sr. Citizen
  • Motherf*ckin' Snakes On A Plane!
    • MSN Messenger - daedelus_rex@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Kanye West Comment
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2005, 10:46:46 PM »
Because obviously that statement was not completely serious, and I hate free speech.  My argument in that post was that Kanye West was not at all racist - and I bet that when he said George Bush, he meant the Bush administration period.  Yes, George is representing the Republicans - so what?  What logic is that?  If someone were referencing Nixon's Watergate scandal, would they be addressing his party, or him?  It's not an issue of semantics, its an issue of fact versus fiction.  Fact - Kanye West said George Bush SPECIFICALLY.  What he meants is very debatable, but its semantics it is not.

So, by that exemplary logic, if Bush had run as a member of the Green Party, he'd have 1) been elected as President and 2) had a compliant legislature throughout his administration.

And as far as Nixon goes, there's a huge difference between an isolated incident undertaken at the direct behest of the executive, and a prolonged series of political trends that manifests themselves in a particular administration.

But, let's assume that you are actually naive enough to assume that when Kanye West specifically mentioned Bush, that he somehow hadn't meant to include the Republican Party as well. In that case, I defy you to point out a single specific policy initiative undertaken *solely* at Bush's will, with absolutely NO influence from the GOP, that the black community has viewed as being detrimental to its integrity. Remember, we're talking about everything up to and possibly even including, the fate of New Orleans after Katrina.

Bet you won't be able to find anything...there's a reason for that.
"Remove the chain, cause' that's off it!"

Acceptances: Georgetown ("off da' chain!")
That is all...

Keyser

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2005, 10:47:36 PM »
The First Amendment is far too generous.

Wow, I'll have to keep that in mind, next time someone says something that upsets me...oh wait, THAT'S ENTIRE REASON IT EXISTS IN THE FIRST PLACE!

Kanye never mentioned "Republicans"...well, in that case, I guess that when he makes comments about the REPRESENTATIVE of their party, that I shouldn't take it at face value at all because he wasn't so painfully specific as to make it obvious to both total idiots and those who would play the semantics game (like yourself).

Saying that "Kanye never mentioned 'Republicans', therefore he didn't mean 'Republicans'" would be asserting that Bush is somehow his own seperate party without a legislature to back him up, and would therefore mean he's somehow omnipotent in the eyes of the government.

Please...I'll send Mr. West an email and beg him to make sure that the next time he goes on T.V. to make sure that he specifically mentions names, parties, family associations, lobbying interests, diplomatic ties...

Besides, I'm not even trying to say that "N.O. is screwed because of the GOP." nor am I saying "The black community is screwed *solely* because of the GOP". But don't go pretending that the party has been a "friend" all along.

Because obviously that statement was not completely serious, and I hate free speech.  My argument in that post was that Kanye West was not at all racist - and I bet that when he said George Bush, he meant the Bush administration period.  Yes, George is representing the Republicans - so what?  What logic is that?  If someone were referencing Nixon's Watergate scandal, would they be addressing his party, or him and his administration?  It's not an issue of semantics, its an issue of fact versus fiction.  Fact - Kanye West said George Bush SPECIFICALLY.  What he meants is very debatable, but its semantics it is not.

No, he made quite a generalization. He claimed, "most republicans don't care about black people". Maybe racism was a poor word choice on my part, but that does not make his comment any less wrong.

Maybe he did.  And I appreciate that you can admit things.  But let's be serious here - politics is much different from race or culture.  Politics is completely by choice - no, more than that, its a collection of people with SIMILAR VIEWS.  So, in that sense, it is VERY fair to say that MANY(not all) of a group of people with the same general beliefs have the same thoughts on an issue.  Whether this is savory or not is irelevant.

No being Republican is assigned at birth. It comes standard issue with your confederate flag bumper sticker, and hair that can only be styled into a mullet.

ThePerfectSoldier

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SuzukiAkira138
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2005, 10:51:06 PM »
The First Amendment is far too generous.

Wow, I'll have to keep that in mind, next time someone says something that upsets me...oh wait, THAT'S ENTIRE REASON IT EXISTS IN THE FIRST PLACE!

Kanye never mentioned "Republicans"...well, in that case, I guess that when he makes comments about the REPRESENTATIVE of their party, that I shouldn't take it at face value at all because he wasn't so painfully specific as to make it obvious to both total idiots and those who would play the semantics game (like yourself).

Saying that "Kanye never mentioned 'Republicans', therefore he didn't mean 'Republicans'" would be asserting that Bush is somehow his own seperate party without a legislature to back him up, and would therefore mean he's somehow omnipotent in the eyes of the government.

Please...I'll send Mr. West an email and beg him to make sure that the next time he goes on T.V. to make sure that he specifically mentions names, parties, family associations, lobbying interests, diplomatic ties...

Besides, I'm not even trying to say that "N.O. is screwed because of the GOP." nor am I saying "The black community is screwed *solely* because of the GOP". But don't go pretending that the party has been a "friend" all along.

Because obviously that statement was not completely serious, and I hate free speech.  My argument in that post was that Kanye West was not at all racist - and I bet that when he said George Bush, he meant the Bush administration period.  Yes, George is representing the Republicans - so what?  What logic is that?  If someone were referencing Nixon's Watergate scandal, would they be addressing his party, or him and his administration?  It's not an issue of semantics, its an issue of fact versus fiction.  Fact - Kanye West said George Bush SPECIFICALLY.  What he meants is very debatable, but its semantics it is not.

No, he made quite a generalization. He claimed, "most republicans don't care about black people". Maybe racism was a poor word choice on my part, but that does not make his comment any less wrong.

Maybe he did.  And I appreciate that you can admit things.  But let's be serious here - politics is much different from race or culture.  Politics is completely by choice - no, more than that, its a collection of people with SIMILAR VIEWS.  So, in that sense, it is VERY fair to say that MANY(not all) of a group of people with the same general beliefs have the same thoughts on an issue.  Whether this is savory or not is irelevant.

No being Republican is assigned at birth. It comes standard issue with your confederate flag bumper sticker, and hair that can only be styled into a mullet.

I don't see how the sarcasm helps your argument any.

So, by that exemplary logic, if Bush had run as a member of the Green Party, he'd have 1) been elected as President and 2) had a compliant legislature throughout his administration.

And as far as Nixon goes, there's a huge difference between an isolated incident undertaken at the direct behest of the executive, and a prolonged series of political trends that manifests themselves in a particular administration.

But, let's assume that you are actually naive enough to assume that when Kanye West specifically mentioned Bush, that he somehow hadn't meant to include the Republican Party as well. In that case, I defy you to point out a single specific policy initiative undertaken *solely* at Bush's will, with absolutely NO influence from the GOP, that the black community has viewed as being detrimental to its integrity. Remember, we're talking about everything up to and possibly even including, the fate of New Orleans after Katrina.

You're right, somewhat - but the Republican party is not made up solely of the bigwigs who push policy and the Bush administration.

dividebyzero

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2005, 10:56:23 PM »
You're right, somewhat - but the Republican party is not made up solely of the bigwigs who push policy and the Bush administration.

:D I would never have said that, silly!
I love run-of-the-mill Republicans, they hate hippies just as much as I do  ;)

When I say "Republican Party", neither my interpretation (nor the interp. that Kanye West more than likely shares) includes absolutely ALL of them...hell, if McCain runs for Pres in 2008, I'm definately voting for him.

I'm just working of off general trends as manifested by the "bigwigs" that plague both parties...it's sad but true.

That is all...

ThePerfectSoldier

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2005, 10:59:48 PM »

:D I would never have said that, silly!
I love run-of-the-mill Republicans, they hate hippies just as much as I do  ;)

When I say "Republican Party", neither my interpretation (nor the interp. that Kanye West more than likely shares) includes absolutely ALL of them...hell, if McCain runs for Pres in 2008, I'm definately voting for him.

I'm just working of off general trends as manifested by the "bigwigs" that plague both parties...it's sad but true.

Well then I guess our arguing is pointless since  we agree.

dividebyzero

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2005, 11:02:26 PM »
Well then I guess our arguing is pointless since we agree.

:D That's LSD for ya'...we shold just be glad the argument didn't last several hundred pages (ala AA).

That is all...

ThePerfectSoldier

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2005, 11:04:13 PM »
Word.

Keyser

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2005, 11:07:06 PM »
Well then I guess our arguing is pointless since we agree.

:D That's LSD for ya'...we shold just be glad the argument didn't last several hundred pages (ala AA).

Speaking of AA...

j/k

dividebyzero

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2005, 11:11:01 PM »
Speaking of AA...

j/k

Oh thank God!
Otherwise, I'd have had to have dropped yet another "What are my chances at XXX-school o' law" question just to restore the cosmic balance.

That is all...

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2005, 01:39:44 PM »
it is low-brow when a sideshow entertainer makes a general statement like k.w. did...irrelevant and meaningless...

however such niggling and picayune remarks are expected from a low-brow mentality...

many people are shortsided and apparently CAN look into the heart of a man...

so for the "littleman syndromed" k.west and all the "littleman syndromed" people out there: gwbush once said, "i love america and its citizens."...

aren't black people citizens of america?

general statements like these always make the warrior wink. ;)

hey k.west...why didn't bush prevent the hurricane from hitting new orleans?...why did the hurricane hit so many black people...are you suspicious of the hurricane's motives...put dat in ya pipe and smoke it.

px.o.rsta
If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare