Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GPA Explanation  (Read 7510 times)

mpete80

• Ave Maria Class of 2007
    • MSN Messenger - uofm97@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
GPA Explanation
« on: June 22, 2004, 06:41:06 PM »
I know many people say not to explain your GPA (2.85 Michigan) but I explained it while noting my positive aspects of how I overcame numerous obstacles (worked up to 50hrs. per week to pay for school, fatal car accident of my brother that caused me to miss two exams) I basically told how all of that has helped me become a better person and persavire (sp) while some may have given up. Is this acceptable?

onehandedreader

• Sr. Citizen
  • Balzac, Jaws of Death
    • View Profile
    • how real can one keep it?
    • Email
Re: GPA Explanation
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2004, 11:55:34 PM »
i've never heard anyone say not to explain gpa, but i think it's a bad idea to do it in your personal statement.  it's something that belongs in an addendum, but that's just my opinion.  it sounds like you have a strong enough personal statement that it might be unnecessary to try and use it to explain gpa.  i think admissions officers are more concerned with how the event affected you as a person.  i would attach a note to your application to explain gpa.
www.antihumanity.com
how real can one keep it?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2004, 11:25:32 AM »
Ad coms read 40-50 essays a day.  Do you think they'll be gripped by you whining about all the hard circumstances of your life?  It's possible, IF you can present it in a well thought out way, that doesn't make excuses.  However, I feel that 95% of the people that write these essays are really just explaining away/whining/making excuses for their low gpa.  You'd be better off with an addendum, unless you can sincerely and maturely discuss your brother's life, what the loss meant to you, and work it in as A motiving factor to you, like to pursue dreams, etc.  But making that the main point in your essay is a mistake.  That's what addendums are for.

Take the PS as your chance to let ad coms know who you are and see something else about you and why you want to go to ls, not why your gpa sucks.

(can we tell I've been reading PS books, getting ready to write mine?  You should pick one up.  If nothing else, it will elaborate on what NOT to write...)

Hobbes

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2004, 02:25:09 PM »
Jacy85 is deadon.  Write about it in an addendum.  That is the appropriate place for that type of information.

I just found a new website (thanks to this board) that has some good info on personal statements.  Check it out.

http://www.deloggio.com/

grahamers

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2004, 02:27:24 PM »
Don't talk about it in your essay.  Just don't.  If you feel compelled, add an addendum.  (Check out my GPA and I got into Mason, Wake and Maryland without mentioning it in my essay.)
34 years old    170 LSAT 2.33 UGPA
Accepted: Wake, Mason, Catholic, Maryland, Baltimore, WVU, Widener
Waitlisted: American
Dinged: GW, Georgetown
Still haven't heard from: Villanova
Attending Mryland

sarahz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2004, 02:30:50 PM »
Absolutely write an addendum!  I had health problems for two terms that caused my GPA to drop significantly lower then it ever would have been otherwise!  Dont make excuses for your grades just explain what happend.  I wouldnt put in any info about working 50hr/wk in the addendum...just attach a resume and they'll see it for themselves.  Lots of people work and get good grades so it'll just draw more attention to the fact that you couldnt. (harsh but true-sorry!) Stick with things you cant control...like the car accident.

Moogle

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT 2005
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2004, 03:33:29 AM »
They say never admit your weaknesses, if you are determined to address your GPA in your PS, then only focus on the positives: 1) what you learned from it, 2) how you coped with the situation better than most ppl would have.  Try to avoid making excuses.  Be sure not to over explain the reasons, I would give it 4 or 5 sentences tops.  Focus your PS on more positive aspects, such as your WE and EC.
When in doubt on the LSAT, always choose F as the answer.

mpete80

• Ave Maria Class of 2007
    • MSN Messenger - uofm97@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2004, 05:40:02 PM »
Thanks Moogle

They say never admit your weaknesses, if you are determined to address your GPA in your PS, then only focus on the positives: 1) what you learned from it, 2) how you coped with the situation better than most ppl would have.  Try to avoid making excuses.  Be sure not to over explain the reasons, I would give it 4 or 5 sentences tops.  Focus your PS on more positive aspects, such as your WE and EC.

sarahz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2004, 11:58:35 AM »
I dont know your grade info but consider a break down of grades as a possibility in the adendum...i had a friend who had a 3.8 if you looked at all her grades without science...something she had no choice but to take (with her otherwise liberal arts major)...3 science classes and 3 C-'s later her GPA was hurting...by breaking it down and stating that even though she had a hard time with the classes she still did what she had to to get through them...blah blah blah...she got into all of the schools she applied to?!  maybe it wont help in your case but what do i know?!  :)