Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Question about Spring Transfers...  (Read 224 times)

carpe diem

• View Profile
Question about Spring Transfers...
« on: September 03, 2005, 12:44:35 AM »
I'm starting law school in the spring and know for sure that I will attempt to transfer (pending performance, of course) because that is really my only chance of getting into one of the top schools (top 1-30 vicinity) at this point. I know that transfers must have a full year of law school under their belts in order to transfer. However, if I begin in the spring, will I only be able to transfer to those schools that accept spring transfers? While there are some schools that accept spring transfer (notably GULC, GW, and Columbia), the majority do not. Does anyone know if an entire semester's worth can be made up in the summer before beginning in the fall? Or if they would actually allow a semester off before beginning the second year as a transfer because of the gap in between? I've seen a post somewhere that said some schools will tell you to sit out the Spring semester and begin the second year, first semester in the Fall. I'm not sure if that's true or not though. Anyone know? What would you do for 8 months and would schools actually advise a student to consider leaving such a gap in their education when most schools do not look favorably upon such gaps when first applying? And finally, since fall grades wouldn't come out until spring semester has officially begun, do the schools that accept spring transfer base their decision on just one semester's worth of grades?

Alot of questions and perhaps a bit confusing, I know, but anything anyone knows about this process would be a great help... Thanks.