Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Indians in Law School, WHERE?!  (Read 3899 times)

clusion

• View Profile
    • Email
Indians in Law School, WHERE?!
« on: September 02, 2005, 09:52:24 AM »
Being East Indian myslef I would like to know geographically which area in the US has a decent population of East Indians.  That seems to be my main factor in deciding to leave Georgia, and attend law school In a different state.  I just feel like TOO MUCH of a minority here.  At my undergraduate institution, and most of the classes I attend here may be one desi per class of 40 students.  I dont have anything against white/black/hispanic dont get me wrong, I just want to see more of my kind around.  When you are such a minority there is a lot of ignorance, which I have never been exposed to until I moved here.

I am originally from Toronto and have come here to complete my degree then law school next fall, and dont plan on returning to Toronto.  However, in Toronto it seemed like almost one in six or seven people was indian, and it was a nice community or place to go out meet people, have fun and even looking into the future raise kids and have them exposed to a good mix of east/west traditional values.

I was thinking of CA or NY ?  Sort of leaning towards CA just because fo the warm weather.  I just dont see any statistics released on the amount of indians IN law school, just the broader minority broken into subtopics which dont include indians.  Perhaps even living in a geographic area where we are well represented, not even necessarily in law school. What do you guys think?

-Neil

clusion

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Indians in Law School, WHERE?!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2005, 09:43:47 AM »
BUMP! Nobody? 

How about Undergrad, can anyone speak for a east indian, west indian population in any undergrad schools, and where they are located?

-Neil

desi desi desi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 08:29:59 AM »
OP, as a fellow ATLien at Emory Law, I can vouch for the fact that the desi population at emory is quite large.  in fact, out of an entering class of 225 last year, I would say that the South Asian population stood at about 12.  this year, although I have not taken time to count, there appears to be about 15 south asians in the entering class.  i know that UGA and GSU also have a quantifiable desi population as well.  Also, there are a number of desis that are equity partners at some of the top firms in ATL.  Plus, there is a desi bar association (http://www.indusbar.org) that will be hosting the NASABA 2006 convention in ATL next summer.

it looks like you're shooting for UCLA.  i don't know the desi population in law schools out west, but here on the east coast, you will find a shitton.

clusion

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 02:56:21 PM »
I see what your saying about about emory & UGA, GA State.  I have seen some desi's around but no where near what im used to.  And in all honesty I was looking to go to a school with more then 5% desi population.  To me a good population comprises atleast 10% at a minimum.

I know in NYC Cornell for instance has a good size population.  I am just shying away from the snow again.  Thats why I was thinking CA because they are listed as having in excess of 350,000+ desi's.  I assume some of those must go to law school, but how can I really ask? :) Only problem is CA is so big, with some major cities so they could just be spreadout.

I miss all the culture of parades, and weekend after weekend of desi weedings & celebrations, which I dont see here in ATL.

-Neil 

desi desi desi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2005, 09:14:47 PM »
I miss all the culture of parades, and weekend after weekend of desi weedings & celebrations, which I dont see here in ATL.

my god, i'm sick of desi weddings.  you want my invites to the 500 i have to attend in the next 6 months?  they're all here in ATL, and some engagement parties that will be at various banquet halls around curry cadre

ahstiolk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2005, 11:54:16 PM »
philly and dc both have decent-sized younger aged desi crowds.  penn seems like the jewish/indian school half the time...

slp

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2005, 09:37:37 AM »
Temple University in Philadelphia -tons of Indians there!  There are other schools in the city with sizeable Indian population such as Penn, Drexel, etc.

the scientist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2005, 12:23:58 AM »
come to NYC and u will get sick of desis.. well not sick coz i love desis.....
and its good to hear penn has a good  % of desi students

larkipunjabi

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2005, 10:17:22 PM »
Where are all the pakistanis at?!?! The midwest?!?!

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2005, 05:38:50 AM »

my god, i'm sick of desi weddings.  you want my invites to the 500 i have to attend in the next 6 months?  they're all here in ATL, and some engagement parties that will be at various banquet halls around curry cadre
:D :D :D
Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.