Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: thinkpads.com  (Read 2997 times)

Ginatio

Re: thinkpads.com
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2004, 12:15:18 PM »
damn dude. how much does that bad boy weigh?

i've had bad experiences with compaq ever since they merged with hp (as to their quality and customer service), so i'd suggest you go with something else... besides i'll bet that laptop is close to 10lbs...

IBM is too expensive.

How is this for 1609 (w/o Tax) from Compaq

Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 3.00 GHz w/HT Technology         
Operating System Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Home       
Memory 1.0GB DDR SDRAM (2x512MB)           
Hard Drive 40 GB 4200 RPM Hard Drive           
Primary CD/DVD Drive 8X DVD Drive         
Networking FREEUpgradeto54g(TM) Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN !!           
Display FREE Upgrade from 15" XGA to 15.4" WXGA (1280x800)           
Graphics Card 128MB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) 9600         
Productivity Software Microsoft(R) Works/Money         
Primary Battery 12 Cell Lithium Ion Battery           
HP extended service plans 3-year HP Express Repair extended service plan

I am not sure about the quality of compaq, but they offer almost double the features for the money.

Also, are you guys buying any specific cable locks/tracking software or plates for your laptop? What about privacy filter, anyone tried those?

superiorlobe

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2004, 12:24:21 PM »
There are two costs associated with a laptop.

1) The cost of buying it.
2) The cost of owning it.

A higher quality laptop will have a higher buying cost but a lower owning cost.  In my opinion an IBM thinkpad will have much lower ownership costs than any other make of laptop.

If you want to factor in the cost of lugging it around, go with the thinkpad X40, which weighs about as much as your wallet does.

farnsworth

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Good news everyone!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2004, 12:24:38 PM »
IBM is too expensive.

I am not sure about the quality of compaq, but they offer almost double the features for the money.

Also, are you guys buying any specific cable locks/tracking software or plates for your laptop? What about privacy filter, anyone tried those?

Yeah, I've not heard good things from anyone using HP laptops either.  I'd reccommend staying with one of the 'Big 3'- IBM, Sony, Toshiba (of which I rarely hear of anyone having problems from) or Dell, which is somewhat more hit-or-miss, but still a decent machine.

Privacy filters work ok, but I don't really see the need to use one in law school- I really dont care if the person next to me sees me playing solitare.  As for cable locks etc., I plan to have my computer either on me or in my apt all the time, so I don't really forsee a problem

CaliforniaLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2004, 01:42:36 PM »
Okay, here is why I think this computer is not adequate for school.

• The Pentium 4 is a power hog that would drain your battery very quickly, less than 2 hours.  Go with the Pentium M (latest series is the 700's) that will give you 4-6 hours of use if you can't plug it in somewhere.
    1 GB of RAM is great
    4200rpm HD is slow, new laptop HD run at 7200rpm which translate into a quicker computer.
    WXGA resolution is the lowest quality out there.  Go for a better monitor if you are going to have to work on your computer all day.
    I have not heard good things about HP's service.  IBM has the best service in the industry. If my computer was to malfunction, I want the best service to get me going again as quickly as possible.
    In conclusion, Thinkpads are generally recognized by the computing magazines as the best quality and IBM as having the best after-purchase service.  That is why IBM can sell their laptops at a premium.

IBM is too expensive.

NeverForever

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2004, 04:58:34 PM »
I'm trying to decide between the T series and the X series. I like the screen size and the power of the T, but I also like the weight and media slice of the X. Which would you go with?

jas9999

• Sr. Citizen
  • Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2004, 05:13:22 PM »
i went t series. not just a bigger monitor, but much higher resolution too. but this is my primary computer for the next three years (i don't own a desktop) so it was worth it to get the better spec'd machine.

you can always get the x series and return it within 30 days for a t series if you don't like it. or vice-versa.

gooooooo

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.67, OCT. 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2004, 08:36:50 PM »
4200rpm HD is slow, new laptop HD run at 7200rpm which translate into a quicker computer.

Quicker in what respects exactly?  Just curious.

jas9999

• Sr. Citizen
  • Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2004, 02:03:13 PM »
the faster the hd, the quicker it can retrieve information from it. so when you're loading programs or files, or reading/writing to the swap file, it'll go faster if your hd is faster.

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - smileyill4663
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - smileyill
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2004, 02:21:01 PM »
Getting to be the time to buy a laptop now, I've waited nearly as long as I dare (orientation is Aug. 19th).  One thing though, I bought a sony cyper shot dsc t1, 5mpix video/camera and plan on taping my classes if the profs don't mind.  However, downloading the video takes time and I'd like a machine capable of doing it quickly.
Freak is the best, Freak is the best!  Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I don't like calling you Freak, I'd rather call you  Normal Nice Guy.

dgatl

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2004, 02:21:36 PM »
the IT manager where I work helped me purchase the thinkpad that I posted yesterday (which ended up getting flamed at, but I still think its a good deal).  basically, with laptops, he said to get the max battery life you need to stick with the 1.4 or 1.5 GHz because the higher GHz ones are really for desktop versions.  you wouldn't want to be typing your final exams and have your battery die on you...