Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Say What?  (Read 263 times)

Paikea

• Sr. Citizen
  • One year down, two more to go!
    • View Profile
Say What?
« on: September 02, 2005, 12:03:11 AM »
Um, has the President seen what is goin on in NO?!

"Putting an optimistic face on the situation, Bush tried to reassure the nation. "In our judgment, we view this storm as a temporary disruption that is being addressed by the government and by the private sector," he said.
"Those who want the Government to regulate matters of the mind and spirit are like men who are so afraid of being murdered that they commit suicide to avoid assassination." - Harry S. Truman

"All bad precedents begin with justifiable measures."  - Julius Caesar

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
Re: Say What?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2005, 12:09:19 AM »
i've been reading reports of what's been happening in NO, and the administration's response so far is infuriating.

Paikea

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2005, 12:19:00 AM »
I think it's a bad choice of words to call what is happening a "temporary disruption."  I mean, having the cable go out is a tempory disruption.  But, sadly, nothing that comes out of his mouth really surprises me anymore.
"Those who want the Government to regulate matters of the mind and spirit are like men who are so afraid of being murdered that they commit suicide to avoid assassination." - Harry S. Truman

jassulli

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2005, 12:40:40 AM »
what i hope he means by that is that they're going to try and get New Orleans back on its feet within a year or two... there are lots of people being very pessimistic about it saying that its a dead city.  that seems overly doomsday to me and would NOT be good, especially economically, for the country let alone the state of Louisiana.  Miami recovered from Andrew, so i'm hoping the same happens for N.O.

Paikea

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2005, 12:49:17 AM »
what i hope he means by that is that they're going to try and get New Orleans back on its feet within a year or two... there are lots of people being very pessimistic about it saying that its a dead city.  that seems overly doomsday to me and would NOT be good, especially economically, for the country let alone the state of Louisiana.  Miami recovered from Andrew, so i'm hoping the same happens for N.O.

I think people are referring to it as a dead city because there are grave questions regarding whether or not the people are going to come back.  It a tad difficult to start over again in a place that has no infrastructure.  Why try it when you can just go somewhere else that has running water, electricity, heat, food, water etc.

PresClay_00

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2005, 01:49:33 PM »

I think people are referring to it as a dead city because there are grave questions regarding whether or not the people are going to come back.  It a tad difficult to start over again in a place that has no infrastructure.  Why try it when you can just go somewhere else that has running water, electricity, heat, food, water etc.

and it's bush's fault that the hurricane came?  or that the city was built below sea level?  or that the hurricane that came and hit the city built below sea level has taken out a lot of the infrastructure? 

i'm not following your line of thinking (not just here, but across the threads)

social drinker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2005, 02:40:22 PM »

and it's bush's fault that the hurricane came?  or that the city was built below sea level?  or that the hurricane that came and hit the city built below sea level has taken out a lot of the infrastructure? 

Yes, yes, and yes.  Damn, Pres didn't you know that already?

be10dwn

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2005, 02:49:43 PM »
It's always george's fault, oh and it took about 3 and a half hours for the same people that always politicize these tragedies to do it on here.