Law School Discussion

"big 3" publics

milkman83

"big 3" publics
« on: September 01, 2005, 10:39:11 AM »
People seem to like grouping schools into clumps, even among the t14 ... YHS, CCN, what-not.

Seems like UMich/UVA/Boalt are the big publics there (and maybe a couple others ... UCLA, UT ...) ... what do you all think about the differentiation among them? Like I said in another post (which gave me the idea of making this one), I don't know too much about UMich, but a buddy at work says it's a great Ivy-type layout/quad offset from the main campus ... Boalt, based on what I've heard about the quality of the degree, seems like it should be ranked higher than it is (agreed?) ... and of course, UVA's supposed to be where the chill ppl are at ... but all great institutions.

What does everyone think/know about the differences between these schools ... any preferences? Different specialties?

RocketBot

Re: "big 3" publics
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 11:34:30 AM »
UMich has probably the most breathtaking and functional law campus in the nation.  You really have to experience it, it's quite cool.  It's known for being laid back, but not excessively so.  Also its reputation reaches far beyond its rank (it's tied with Columbia in the rep rankings).

Boalt has a pretty bleh campus overall, especially compared to the greater Berkeley campus.  The building has had additions tacked on over the years, and is pretty much the polar opposite of Michigan and Virginia's warm architectural feel-- it's all cold, white plastic/tile/stucco.  But what Boalt lacks in environment it makes up for in ambiance-- supposed to be incredibly laid back with a pass/honors/high honors grading system.  Boalt's low rank is due to affirmative action being illegal in CA, so in order to admit more minorities, they have to do it blindly-- to do this they simply ignore the LSAT after a certain level.  At Berkeley a 168 LSAT is weighted almost identically to a 180, but GPA is treated like solid gold.  While this has allowed them to admit more minorities, it has resulted in depressed rankings because of artificially low LSAT scores, and arguably other effects of practicing affirmative action in this way.

Virginia, from what I've heard, is very similar to Michigan.  Gorgeous campus, laid back students.  Less of a "famous" program than Michigan, though.  Warm location is good, but for many the rural location not so good.

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005, 05:47:39 PM »
People seem to like grouping schools into clumps, even among the t14 ... YHS, CCN, what-not.

Seems like UMich/UVA/Boalt are the big publics there (and maybe a couple others ... UCLA, UT ...) ... what do you all think about the differentiation among them? Like I said in another post (which gave me the idea of making this one), I don't know too much about UMich, but a buddy at work says it's a great Ivy-type layout/quad offset from the main campus ... Boalt, based on what I've heard about the quality of the degree, seems like it should be ranked higher than it is (agreed?) ... and of course, UVA's supposed to be where the chill ppl are at ... but all great institutions.

What does everyone think/know about the differences between these schools ... any preferences? Different specialties?

To clarify, Michigan's law school is not offset from the main campus, rather it's right in the middle of campus.  The Michigan union, undergraduate and graduate libraries, and the business school are all right across the street from the law quad.  For pictures, see here

http://www.bestfouryears.com/Michigan.htm

The picture in the second row, second column and the picture in the third row, first column are both shots of the law quad from the outside.  Both pictures in the fifth row were taken inside the law quad.  The two pictures below that (sixth row) are two of the libraries across the street from the law quad.

The pictures aren't the best shots of the quad, but they can give you some idea of the architecture/feel of the place.  Hope this helps....

bloomich

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2005, 09:21:19 AM »

To clarify, Michigan's law school is not offset from the main campus, rather it's right in the middle of campus.  The Michigan union, undergraduate and graduate libraries, and the business school are all right across the street from the law quad.  For pictures, see here

http://www.bestfouryears.com/Michigan.htm

The picture in the second row, second column and the picture in the third row, first column are both shots of the law quad from the outside.  Both pictures in the fifth row were taken inside the law quad.  The two pictures below that (sixth row) are two of the libraries across the street from the law quad.

The pictures aren't the best shots of the quad, but they can give you some idea of the architecture/feel of the place.  Hope this helps....

i can confirm since i'm like looking at the law quad from here... it's in the southern part of central campus... certainly not removed from the main campus...but it is sort of separated from campus since the quad is like walled in

loveless

• Law school is NICE!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2005, 09:56:30 AM »
I take my girlfriend on walks through the Law Quad here at UMICH all the time. It's pretty romantic. I have meetings in there all the time too--very traditional. I visited Duke and Georgetown this summer, and their classrooms looked very much like professional board rooms. Michigan's lecture halls all have long, wooden row tables with creaky wooden chairs, richly-colored carpeting, wood panneling, and chandeliers.

Hopefully those cats let me in.