7 (58.3%)
No
 0 (0%)
Somewhat
 3 (25%)
Not Sure
 2 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: Profiting From Tragedy.....Are We A Failed Society  (Read 1622 times)

lex19

Re: Profiting From Tragedy.....Are We A Failed Society
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2005, 04:50:58 PM »
http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/CNBCTV/Articles/Dispatches/P128021.asp

this is a link from msn about the price hikes in gas...

John Galt

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2005, 05:41:10 PM »
This is a bunch of my Random thoughts......But as I was watching the coverage of the tragedies in New Orleans and Mississippi and the different ways that stations were potraying what was going on I began to wonder if our society has become a place that money and profit are what's most important no matter what.  I heard that hotels are jacking up prices b/c they know people have to stay somewhere and gas prices are shooting through the roof for every single thing that has happened in the last two years.  I mean it is above $3.09 in some places.  Am I the only person that feels as though our society is really failing.  :-\

Comon...everyone argues for free market and capitalism. This is exactly how society is supposed to act in a free market capitalist society.

And just to respond to the poll, when has money not taken the place of our morals? Look at Christian evangelicals...they spend all their time preaching how to be like Jesus, but when you ask them to give some of their tax money to a program to help the poor...

Muse

• Sr. Citizen
  • I heart Naomi!
    • View Profile
    • Yeah I have one...like everyone else.
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2005, 06:25:47 PM »
The situation is really bad. In texas hotels are charging 300-500 per night knowing that the people seeking shelter probably lost everything...
Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No ulterior motives. No hidden meanings. An absence of hypocrisy, duplicity, political games, and verbal superficiality. As honesty and real integrity characterize our lives, there will be no need to manipulate others.--Chuck Swindoll

be10dwn

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2005, 07:45:48 AM »
So how is it the oil companies are making record profits?  Interesting, and the thing about running out of gas was rebuffed on MSNBC las night as a rumour.

NathanB

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2005, 10:36:28 AM »
This kind of stuff is really sad.  They ought to lock someone up for price gouging at a time like this.  I mean, ethically, I couldn't do it.  If I was working somewhere they were doing that, I think I'd have to quit.

Law_Woman

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2005, 12:14:43 PM »
I think it's a great opportunity for the nation to shake off some of the bottom feeders.

NathanB

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2005, 01:05:08 AM »
Yeah, I buy gas all the time and just pour it out on the ground.  Its kind of my way of having fun in the evenings.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2005, 01:42:13 PM »
This is a bunch of my Random thoughts......But as I was watching the coverage of the tragedies in New Orleans and Mississippi and the different ways that stations were potraying what was going on I began to wonder if our society has become a place that money and profit are what's most important no matter what.  I heard that hotels are jacking up prices b/c they know people have to stay somewhere and gas prices are shooting through the roof for every single thing that has happened in the last two years.  I mean it is above $3.09 in some places.  Am I the only person that feels as though our society is really failing.  :-\

looting...disgraceful
inflated prices...shameful.
If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare

John Galt

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2005, 06:08:15 PM »

looting...disgraceful
inflated prices...shameful.

get off your high horse, if you were hungry and had no clothes, I bet you'd loot too

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2005, 09:34:28 PM »
Yeah, I buy gas all the time and just pour it out on the ground.  Its kind of my way of having fun in the evenings.

:D Me too!  I guess we should find a new hobby...  ::)