Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Feb 1996 LR #24  (Read 332 times)

uwofresh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Feb 1996 LR #24
« on: August 31, 2005, 11:28:35 PM »
The shoe factory in Centerville is the town's largest firm and it employs more unskilled workers on a full-time basis than all of the other businessses in town combined.  Therefore, if the shoes factory closes down and ceases all operations more than half of centerville's residents who are unskilled workers with full time jobs in centerville will lose their jobs.

The conclusion above logifcally follows from the premises if which one of the following is assumed?

a.) centerville has more unskilled workers among its pouplations thanit has skilled workers.

b.) The shoe factory in centerville employs no one who is not a resident of centerville.

which one is right?? and why?  thanks.

theo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Fine surname
Re: Feb 1996 LR #24
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 11:44:24 PM »
The shoe factory in Centerville is the town's largest firm and it employs more unskilled workers on a full-time basis than all of the other businessses in town combined.  Therefore, if the shoes factory closes down and ceases all operations more than half of centerville's residents who are unskilled workers with full time jobs in centerville will lose their jobs.

The conclusion above logifcally follows from the premises if which one of the following is assumed?

a.) centerville has more unskilled workers among its pouplations thanit has skilled workers.

b.) the shoes factory in centerville employs more unskilled workers than skilled workers.

You're going to a lot of trouble to @#!* up the process.

Include the right answer, moron.
quid leges sine moribus vanae proficiunt?

yiplong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 11:45:49 PM »
SuperPrep already has explanation.  They are quite adaquate. 

River

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 10:14:06 PM »

b.) The shoe factory in centerville employs no one who is not a resident of centerville.

1) “it employs more unskilled workers on a full-time basis than all of the other businessses in town combined.”
=The shoe factory---------- has more full time unskilled workers than 10/20/30,,, businesses.
Let’s say: factory(40)--------------other business(30)
Total 70(not sure how many are residents or nonresidents).

“Therefore, if the shoes factory closes down and ceases all operations, more than half of centerville's residents who are unskilled workers with full time jobs in centerville will lose their jobs”: Here conclusion mentions about residents. 
Then, the factory has more than half of Centerville’s residents at its employment. 
Yet we are not still sure how many residents or nonresidents the factory has in sum.

Thus we need to assume at least more than half of 40 in the factory are residents.
This means reversibly at least some are nonresidents at the factory.

Let’s put them together:
The shoe factory has more unskilled workers than other businesses.

At least more than half of the unskilled full-time workers in Centerville at the shoe factory are residents (= At least some are nonresidents employed at the factory)

Therefore, if the factory closes, more than half of the Centerville’s unskilled workers who are residents will lose their jobs.

a.) centerville has more unskilled workers among its pouplations thanit has skilled workers.= populations? Does author says on pop?  No.

b.) The shoe factory in centerville employs no one who is not a resident of centerville.:  wrong because  at least some are nonresidents

matts720

• Sr. Citizen
  • Let's Go Nova!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - matts072083
    • View Profile
    • MySpace profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2005, 10:28:51 PM »
I did this problem before, neither answer is right.
Villanova 1L Class of 2009. Invading the Main Line in August.

uwofresh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2005, 10:52:44 PM »
I did this problem before, neither answer is right.

No, B is the right answer and it just occured to me why.
I realized just now that this isn't an necessary question but a sufficient question.

It says that Centerville employs more unskilled workers on a full-time basis than all other businesses in town combined.  And conclusion like, river stated, mentions RESIDENCE.

so if we were to state "centerville has more unskilled workers among its population than it has skilled workers"  the conclusion would follow because we would be limiting the scope to the residence and not to the outside party. 

Therefore B is the correct answer.  WHEW! :D

yiplong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2005, 11:07:20 PM »
I don't think this is right. 
For the conclusion to be properly drawn, you need to assumne that the people employeed are residents of the city. 

uwofresh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2005, 11:44:07 PM »
uwforsh! Is this B) the answer?: "centerville has more unskilled workers among its population than it has skilled workers"   Then this is different from your first posted B)! I bet this is inteded for something else if this is not a mistake.

hey river, no it's not.
yes, it is true that the credited response was "d" on the real test.  However, I put it under B on this post because I was able to narrow it down to 2 possible answer choices.  So naturally i put them as A and B.

Sorry for the confusion.