Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Multiple Personal Statements?  (Read 2351 times)

Hobbes

• View Profile
Multiple Personal Statements?
« on: June 22, 2004, 02:12:22 PM »
Okay, one quick questions related to the personal statement.  Sorry if this is a repost of any kind.  I searched it and could not find anything on these.

Do some LS require several personal statements?  I noticed http://www.deloggio.com/personal/joediver.htm had a personal statement, a diversity statement and a suplimental statement.  Is this typical or only at Boalt or what?

Thanks!

GA_Kristi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Whittier Law School Class of 2007
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Multiple Personal Statements?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2004, 04:08:10 PM »
I applied to 14 schools and only 1 required more than one personal statement.  A private Christian-based school I applied to required me to write a statement responding to their mission statement, as well as my own personal statement.  Otherwise, I used the same basic personal statement for each of the other 13 schools, only changing the last paragraph, wherein I explained why I wanted to go to that particular school.
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious." - Vince Lombardi

Ginatio

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2004, 04:23:42 PM »
one for each of your personalities

flecktone

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2004, 06:08:57 PM »
A few of the schools I applied to gave an opportunity to expound on certain topics where for some a few words may suffice.  The diversity statement is one opportunity, some of the others I recall were questions concerning public service and leadership. They invited the applicant to attach an addendum if they wished.  It is also appropriate to attach a brief addendum explaining a low LSAT score, provided it's not whiny and your reasons are valid (unusual stress from job, family life, etc.). 

Victor

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2004, 07:32:12 PM »
I applied to 14 schools and only 1 required more than one personal statement.  A private Christian-based school I applied to required me to write a statement responding to their mission statement, as well as my own personal statement.  Otherwise, I used the same basic personal statement for each of the other 13 schools, only changing the last paragraph, wherein I explained why I wanted to go to that particular school.

Arent you suppose to tailor each Personal Statement towards a school. Like for the 14 schools you were applying to, werent you supposed to write 14 completely different personal statements? I know someone who did it your way but I dont know if thats the best way.

GA_Kristi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2004, 08:48:35 AM »
I'm not sure I ever read anywhere that its more beneficial to write a different statement for each school.  How would you ever have time to write 14 good (and different) statements?  You'd have to start like 2 years before you want to apply!  I know mine took me months to perfect!  And how is what you're going to tell one school so drastically different than another?  Most schools ask you to talk about why you want to be in a lawyer and what has prepared you for the study of law.  You've only had one life, so how do you have 14 different stories to tell?

However, I do think its important to have a portion of your statement that is tailored to the school.  It shows interest and that you've done your research.  This is why I changed the last 1-2 paragraphs of each statement, this is where I explained why I wanted to go to that particular school.  I focused on the location and why I wanted to be there, what programs the school had I was interested in, etc. 

I think it would be a waste of time to write 14 completely different statements.  I wrote one and then changed the last couple of paragraphs to reflect my interest in each school.  Then for the one school that had a more specific topic I wrote a new statement.  It took me long enough to write one statement and perfect it, then several days for each school to adjust the end of the statement to reflect my feelings about the school.  I can't imagine having enough time to write 14 completely different statements and I certainly see no need for it.
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious." - Vince Lombardi

Hobbes

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2004, 08:59:39 PM »
THX for all the advice!  I will write one PS and worry about any supplemental ones when the time comes.

GA_Kristi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2004, 08:18:37 AM »
When you get done with your statement I'll be happy to read it and suggest edits or revisions.  I love to write and I've read and edited quite a few personal statements for people on here lately.  I posted my email in an above post, so feel free to send it my way if you want some help!  :)

Good luck!