Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: On the Hurricane Reporting.  (Read 1199 times)

John Galt

Re: On the Hurricane Reporting.
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2005, 09:41:39 PM »
Actually, it looks like #2 was looting.

Sleezstak

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2005, 09:43:02 PM »
Give it a rest.

Give it a rest? Why dont you give breathing a rest? Cracker ass crackers like you need not visit BLSDB.

Elitist racist.

I've heard a lot of racist insults.  I never thought I'd hear "cracker ass cracker".

You can delete your post you racist but not the quotes and might I suggest the next poster quote is as well.

phillygirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2005, 09:44:10 PM »
I'm confused. One of your pictures depicts a black woman but the other depicts both a black woman and a WHITE man.
"Life is a gift, wrap it well." -Coco Chanel

Sleezstak

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2005, 09:50:07 PM »
Forget I said anything. I dont want to argue with someone over the internet. I'd rather take it out on a random white co-worker.

Did you want to argue whether you are a racist or not....and perhaps a violent one.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2005, 09:50:23 PM »
On second look, that is a black woman in the first picture.  Someone apparently didn't look too closely before they started crying "racist"

ThePerfectSoldier

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SuzukiAkira138
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2005, 09:57:33 PM »
...That is the photo he posted, isn't it?

Victor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2005, 10:01:58 PM »
Thats not a black woman.

SMH

LaneSwerver

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2005, 10:25:47 PM »
Forget I said anything. I dont want to argue with someone over the internet. I'd rather take it out on a random white co-worker.

You are a no-good, post-deleting chickenshit. If you have something to say to me, sound off like you've got a pair. You disgust me.

swirly

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2005, 10:59:27 PM »
Maybe you shouldn't jump to conclusions quite so fast, though. From Salon.com:

One of the images, shot by photographer Dave Martin for the Associated Press, shows a young black man wading through chest-deep waters after "looting" a grocery store, according to the caption. The young man appears to have a case of Pepsi under one arm and a full garbage bag in tow. In the other, similar shot, taken by photographer Chris Graythen for AFP/Getty Images, a white man and a light-skinned woman are shown wading through chest-deep water after "finding" goods including bread and soda, according to the caption, in a local grocery store.

The AP database includes two other images from the same scene by photographer Dave Martin that refer to looters in the captions, though neither actually shows an explicit act of looting. Jack Stokes, AP's director of media relations, confirmed today that Martin says he witnessed the people in his images looting a grocery store. "He saw the person go into the shop and take the goods," Stokes said, "and that's why he wrote 'looting' in the caption."

Santiago Lyon, AP's director of photography, told Salon that all captions are vetted by editors and are the result of a dialogue between editor and photographer. Lyon said AP's policy is that each photographer can describe only what he or she actually sees. He added, "When we see people go into businesses and come out with goods, we call it 'looting.'" On the other hand, he said, "When we just see them carrying things down the road, we call it 'carrying items.'"

Regarding the AFP/Getty "finding" photo by Graythen, Getty spokeswoman Bridget Russel said, "This is obviously a big tragedy down there, so we're being careful with how we credit these photos." Russel said that Graythen had discussed the image in question with his editor and that if Graythen didn't witness the two people in the image in the act of looting, then he couldn't say they were looting.