Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Planet Law School on Ebay  (Read 4155 times)

dta

Re: Planet Law School on Ebay
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2004, 10:30:56 AM »
Yeah, I was turned off.  And the hypos made me think, but I thought of this.  Do I want to learn the law from other pre-law students?

I think definitely so. Chapter 5 is, I believe, one of the best elucidations of the kind of mental gymnastics that will be required of us in law school. The entire chapter is devoted to taking a fact situation based on a real case of a law student suing a tort professor and changing the facts hypothetically to see what results.

The whole point of the exercise is not just to learn the law, but to internalize it. By applying black letter law to numerous hypothetical situations your understanding of law will become second nature. Sure - if you can get your professor to sit down and "hypo-rap" w/ you for hours at a time that would be optimal, but that's just not going to happen. Your going to have to engage in these dynamic hypo situations w/ fellow classmates.

Anyway, I think you may have stopped jeffjoe just before one of the best chapters in the book. Before you sell it, check out chapter 5.

jgruber

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2004, 10:33:36 AM »
I'll take a look this evening, but the author's attitude, especially in his yahoo gropu postings really turned me off and made me suspicious of his knowledge and ability.

Yeah, I was turned off.  And the hypos made me think, but I thought of this.  Do I want to learn the law from other pre-law students?

I think definitely so. Chapter 5 is, I believe, one of the best elucidations of the kind of mental gymnastics that will be required of us in law school. The entire chapter is devoted to taking a fact situation based on a real case of a law student suing a tort professor and changing the facts hypothetically to see what results.

The whole point of the exercise is not just to learn the law, but to internalize it. By applying black letter law to numerous hypothetical situations your understanding of law will become second nature. Sure - if you can get your professor to sit down and "hypo-rap" w/ you for hours at a time that would be optimal, but that's just not going to happen. Your going to have to engage in these dynamic hypo situations w/ fellow classmates.

Anyway, I think you may have stopped jeffjoe just before one of the best chapters in the book. Before you sell it, check out chapter 5.

dta

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2004, 10:46:17 AM »
What's the link to the PLS yahoo group?

jgruber

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2004, 10:51:09 AM »
What's the link to the PLS yahoo group?

I forget, but you can go to yahoo, click on groups and search for planet law school and you'll find it.

superiorlobe

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2004, 12:04:24 PM »
Where did Atticus Falcon go to law school?

jgruber

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2004, 12:11:06 PM »
Where did Atticus Falcon go to law school?

Well, that's the trick.  The author is anonymous.  No idea where he/she went to school, the grades, what state passed bar, where practicing.  Nothing.

For all we know AF has never been to LS, never passed the bar.

jgruber

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2004, 12:35:51 PM »
I read most of Chapter 5.  I had the same problem with that chapter that I had with the rest of the book.

The author discussed a tort case and told me why the judge was an ass, why the author of the case book was an ass and why any school that teaches uses that case is stupid.

It may be a valuable analysis and maybe not.  It is one person's opinion and I have reached that the conclusion that this one person's opinion is suspect.  If I have a prof in school that displayed the same attitude I would treat the prof's opinion the same way.  the difference would be that I would have to take careful note of the prof's opinion so I could do well on the exam.

I'll take a look this evening, but the author's attitude, especially in his yahoo gropu postings really turned me off and made me suspicious of his knowledge and ability.

jgruber

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2004, 01:57:15 PM »
For those who are interested, the PLS on Ebay was volume one and it sold for 3.00