Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Those who trade PDF's over the internet will be prosecuted...............  (Read 1337 times)

lsatrules

Article posted one of the yahoo groups...

Los Angeles, CA -- Angelina Harrison didn't think she was doing
anything wrong.  Now her dream of attending the University of California Los Angeles is ruined.  What happened?  In an age where music industry executives are taking hard line against those who pirate their products, the companies that produce law school admission test preparatory materials have finally started to do the same.  Angelina Harrison learned last week that her acceptance and scholarship at UCLA had been withdrawn by the school amid allegations of Harrison "stealing" copies of preparatory materials by obtaining illegally reproduced copies over the internet.  In a statement made through her mother Mariana Rosario on Friday, Ms. Harrison stated, "I was not trying to defraud anyone or steal anything.  I simply could not afford to pay $35.00 for the stuff I needed to do well on the test.  Everyone I know was doing it." 
Officials from the Law School Admissions Council were unsympathetic to Harrison's plight.  They are working with several internet sites where the trading of these materials took place to protect their copyright using whatever means available and expect that more potential law students will be finding themselves either in court or have their acceptances cancelled in the near future.

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
it was bound to happen.  can't say people haven't been warned.

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
Revoking her scholarship and admissions offer is overly harsh.  Yes, she traded copyrighted information, but I'm willing to assume that most law school admits have traded copyrighted files over the net (Napster has ruined our credibility forever).  To take away her offer makes no sense.  Will they now scan our laptops for music files?  Law schools admit people with real criminal records with seeming ease.  This is unfair in every sense.  UCLA is not showing good judgment (or at least good reason).
Yale.Law.School.2010

amarain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Atlanta Private Investigator
I think that's fake. A search of her name and quotes from that story turns up absolutely nothing. Where exactly does that article come from?

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
why on earth would UCLA want students who disrespect the law so much as to brazenly ignore it?  i understand why this may seem unfair, but to me, the only unfair thing is that she was the one who was caught while thousands of other law students haven't.  but that's simply bad luck on her part and isn't that life?

GSMan300

• View Profile
I think that's fake. A search of her name and quotes from that story turns up absolutely nothing. Where exactly does that article come from?

-I was thinking the EXACT same thing.

However, if it is true...she got pwned!

amarain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Atlanta Private Investigator
Not to mention the fact that this "I was not trying to defraud anyone or steal anything.  I simply could not afford to pay $35.00 for the stuff I needed to do well on the test.  Everyone I know was doing it."  is a pretty stupid quote from someone who managed to get into UCLA law school. Suspiciously stupid.

GSMan300

• View Profile
lsat rules (OP),

Please provide a link to the board you got this from.

Thanks!

consideringcancel

Don't believe it either...but if it's true I sure would be happy about all the spots that would open up.

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
If UCLA can overlook someone's juvenile (and often times adult) criminal records, they should be reasonable enough to overlook this infraction.  It is not malicious, nor does it demonstrate any disrespect for the law.  Can anyone here honestly say they have not used napster (or other p2p programs) to get music, or other copyrighted materials?  Has no one here ever not photocopied something that says not to do so without the express consent of the writer/publisher?  Hell, it's even illegal to record Monday Night Football without the NFL's consent.  I don't think UCLA would revoke your admission if you like to use TiVo.
Yale.Law.School.2010