Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: East Indians not URM??? why not?????  (Read 5185 times)

pinkybella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: East Indians not URM??? why not?????
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2005, 01:35:32 PM »
I think the term "Underrepresented Minority" is a little misleading. They don't really mean underrepresented in law school (I think) but underrepresented in higher education due to socio-economic factors. Unfortunately, due to socio-economic factors black and latinos and native americans are generally underrepresented in any form of higher education (grad school, med school, law school etc). However, Indians and Asians americans have generally been well represented in all higher education.  This is why Middle Eastern people are also NOT considered URMs. URM does not signify  minority persay (yes, Indians are minorities in law school). But I don't think admissions committees necessarily care too much about racial diversity in law school; rather, they care about socio-economic diversity (helping people who have overcome socio-economic factors to apply to law school). And unfortunately, most Indians, Asian Americans and Middle Easterns do not provide that type of diversity.

theD

• View Profile
Re: East Indians not URM??? why not?????
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2005, 07:00:08 PM »
The Desi obsession with Medical School is responsible for this entire predicament.