Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: East Indians not URM??? why not?????  (Read 5148 times)

slp

• View Profile
East Indians not URM??? why not?????
« on: August 29, 2005, 02:28:44 PM »
In my entire life I have only met two attorneys of Indian descent-one was an immigraton attorney and the other was a friend of mine five years my senior.  I rarely see any Indian attorneys in FL.  So how can people say Indians aren't URM?  I see white, hispanic  and black attorneys way more often than asians. 

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
Re: East Indians not URM??? why not?????
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 05:04:19 PM »
That's a really interesting question.  I have no straight answer.  I don't think that east Indians are not URM's.  I think it's more likely that there is not much of a premium on recruiting east Indian applicants (both for law schools and legal jobs) as there is for blacks and hispanics.  Law schools and law firms are not usually trying to penetrate the east Indian community, or trying to enter the Indian market (catering services to Indian clients, for example).  The reverse is true for black and hispanic communities, which are highly sought after by firms seeking new clients (ie: all of the "Se Habla Espanol" claims in law firm ads).  Also, for international law firms, the top two emerging markets are the Asian market (Chinese and Japanese, not Indian) and the Latin American markets.  For all these reasons, blacks, hispanics, and asians are sought after. 

This is my best guess. 
Yale.Law.School.2010

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 05:09:46 PM »
I can say from looking around my section and my class that East Indians are in no way minorites.  What they do with the degrees after graduation may be an interesting study, as perhaps the trend is to go into business or some other career other than practicing law.

And another question...just b/c you only know 2 in Florida doesn't mean there are more elsewhere.  Why does your experience make you an expert?

Also, no one's saying that in the grand scheme of the United States that people of Indian descent aren't minorities.  It does tend to be true that in fields of higher education, they aren't under-represented minorites.  People of chinese, japanese, or other asian descents are minorites, but they are highly represented in the classroom compared to other minorities.

What this really comes down to a rant about why you don't receive special consideration and others do.

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 05:36:27 PM »
Jacy is correct.  It seems as if you want an affirmative action boost, but you're not likely to get one (at least not at the top law schools).  Under-represented status is partially determined by how poorly represented a group is in higher education.  Generally, eat indians are not underrepresented in higher education.  I would venture to say that, for whatever reason, east indians tend to gravitate to medical school rather than law school, which would explain the seeming lack of eat indians in the legal profession.  Even with comparatively low levels of east indians in law school, there is almost no premium in getting them into the upper echelons of society (government, business, education, etc), whereas for blacks and hispanics there is. 
Yale.Law.School.2010

ThePerfectSoldier

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SuzukiAkira138
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 09:20:43 PM »
Everyone would like to have the benefits of URM status.  However, not everyone is in a feasible position to get it.  Sorry.

pop_tort

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2005, 09:35:38 PM »
Come to Artesia, CA. You will meet more than 2 East Indian attorneys in that city.

Who told you East Indians aren't URMs? Are you only talking about the law school application process, or do you mean in the field of law? Sure, schools aren't out trying to actively recruit East Indians the way they might for other minority groups, but you're not white, so you are still a minority. If you want to play up some cultural factors on you application or how that perhaps influenced your decision to apply to law school, I'm sure that sharing about your background would certainly work in your favor.

desi desi desi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2005, 11:05:47 PM »
OP:  URM has nothing to do with our establishment in the legal profession.  on the whole, we are privileged and vastly overrepresented in most lucrative professions.  so no URM status for us (thank god).

ThePerfectSoldier

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2005, 11:18:01 PM »
People often forget the "UR" part of "URM".  I think this is the case here.

desi desi desi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2005, 11:20:46 PM »
People often forget the "UR" part of "URM".  I think this is the case here.

exactly.  i'll be the first to say that desis might not have solid numbers in law, but that doesn't warrant giving us URM status.  we're not underrepresented in the majority of professions, whether it is medicine, engineering, or even new york cabbie driving.  ;D

ThePerfectSoldier

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2005, 06:18:26 PM »
URM status being graduate-study(as in law or business or medical) specific is the exception, not the rule, I've found.  Affirmative Action is to help those that are struggling as an ethnic group in a very general fashion, not just the fact that some ethnic groups are more interested in some fields than others making them worthy of an AA push.  The fact that Indians largely focus their attention on other studies does not mean you are struggling.  On the contrary, the Indian ethnic group to my knowledge is thriving - as you said, often without coming from priviledged backgrounds - and I think to call them URMs based on solely law-specific numbers cheapens that achievement by your people.