Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Where can I get in as a Splitter (High GPA/low LSAT)?  (Read 1880 times)

gordonma

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cheers
    • AOL Instant Messenger - xikillamikeix
    • View Profile
    • Email
Where can I get in as a Splitter (High GPA/low LSAT)?
« on: August 28, 2005, 05:02:43 PM »
Hey everyone... i was wondering if u all could give me opinions on where i might be able to get in based on my scores... my gpa is 3.62 UGPA 3.59 converted... but my horrible lsat turned out 152 53%ile. I have strong LORS and a really good personal statement. After looking up most schools in LSN, I noticed numbers like 154 and 155 but with subpar GPAS... does this mean with my GPA they might accept the lower LSAT score? Like if my LSAT falls below the 25% but my GPA is above the 75% does that give me a fair shot? Obvioulsy its diff for each school but in general i am wondering.

My list of schools so far is, Full time or part time for SHU, Rutgers Newark, and Rutgers Camden. Then full time for NYLS, Qunnipiac, Albany, American, Catholic, Peirce, Hofstra, Syracuse, Vermont, Widener, nova, UF, FSU, UBuffalo etc... I know its a long list, but do you guys think I have a decent shot at some of them? I know there are quite a few of reaches on there. Ideally I would love to just go to SHU or Rutgers and stay in Jersey where I reside.

I really am not confident with taking the LSAT again, bc my pretesting ranged between 151-158... so wht do u guys think? any feedback or advice? thanks!
Seton Hall School of Law 1L come the Fall
Lets go Pirates!

tegra8

Re: Where can I get in as a Splitter (High GPA/low LSAT)?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005, 09:38:43 PM »
unless you are a URM... no chance at UF or FSU

KayakAnyone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 09:05:17 AM »
i agree no shot at all at UF.  Don't waste the money. I slightly disagree about FSU, you may have a shot off waitlist given they dont report students under the 25% mark.. as for the other schools:

UB:possibly
NYLS:possibly
Albany: accept
American:deny
Catholic:deny
Hofstra: possibly
Syracus:possibly
Vermont:possibly
Widener:accept

i'd say you'll be accepted to two of your schools outright and waitlisted or denied at the others.

tegra8

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 12:30:04 PM »
FSU is getting harder to get into than most think... I had higer GPA and higher LSAT and was waitlisted/rejected

gordonma

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cheers
    • AOL Instant Messenger - xikillamikeix
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005, 07:58:32 PM »
thanks! any other opinions?
Seton Hall School of Law 1L come the Fall
Lets go Pirates!

KayakAnyone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005, 11:36:27 PM »
FSU is getting harder to get into than most think... I had higer GPA and higher LSAT and was waitlisted/rejected

FSU is just protecting the yield.  i'd guess the adcom thought that even if you were accepted you would go a higher ranked school that would accept you.  Therefore while they may deny you, they might accept OP banking on the fact that higher ranked schools would pass on him/her.

interpolate

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 03:21:34 PM »
Assuming you're applying with a 152/3.59 (and you're caucasian, applying early and full-time) here are my thoughts (fyi, i was admitted and committed this past fall but deferred for a year.  i applied to a few of the schools you're interested in).  i've parenthetically added a few opinionated predictions.

nyls - possibility (waitlisted)
quin - possibility
Albany - strong possibility (accepted)
American - Highly unlikely (denied)
Catholic - Unlikely (denied)
Pierce - Strong possibility (accepted)
Hofstra - Unlikely (outside shot at a waitlist, but most likely denied)
Syracuse - Possibility
Vermont - Possibility
Widener - Strong Possibility (accepted)
Villanova - Highly unlikely (denied...unles it's nova southeastern, then accepted.)
UF - Unlikely (denied)
FSU - Unlikely (denied)
Buffalo - Possibility (waitlisted)

In response to comments about 25th percentile marks posted above, keep in mind that a considerable portion of students admitted with numbers--especially LSAT scores--below the 25th are of minority status.  Thus,  unless your numbers are at or above the 25th percentile mark--assuming admissions standards are consistent with those of the previous (reported) year--expect to be rejected from schools where your numbers are considerably below (3+ LSAT points) the 25th percentile and waitlisted at schools where your scores are just slightly below the 25th.
hth

Lucky77

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2005, 11:40:36 AM »
Take the LSAT again. Unless you truly believe that a 52% is the best you can do (and if so, no shame in that), study your ass off and prove to those addcomms that you can do better. Even if you get into any of those schools, you will get no scholarships and be in $150,000 of debt, probably comming into a job market where the most you can make is $75,000 (if you are LUCKY)

tinyandi

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.84/157; BA & MA from UPenn
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2005, 12:45:08 PM »
FYI.  I got a 157 and managed to get into to UF and Emory no problem.  Splitters can make it through.  PM me with specific questions.
Attending: Emory
In: UF, UM
Wailisted: ND (Group 1), Berkeley (Group 1)
Rejections: GW, UCLA
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=tinyandi

jdw112

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2005, 01:05:10 PM »
Important note: This poster is hispanic.

Edit: Not that there is anything wrong with being hispanic  :-*

FYI.  I got a 157 and managed to get into to UF and Emory no problem.  Splitters can make it through.  PM me with specific questions.