Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

who would u rather stay in la if u had to chose one?

shaq
 4 (44.4%)
kobe
 4 (44.4%)
they should both go, dang prissies
 1 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: July 05, 2004, 06:22:08 PM

Author Topic: for those of u that follow the lakers...  (Read 2439 times)

headmachine

• Sr. Citizen
  • new
    • AOL Instant Messenger - edhouse616
    • View Profile
    • my life
for those of u that follow the lakers...
« on: June 21, 2004, 06:22:08 PM »
just been reading a lot of editorials and opinions about the potential franchise trades and situations that may percipitate during the off season...a lot of people are lookin at it as either shaq or kobe.

ball in  :-* duuuuumb
ROAR for LLS 2005
*SLY*

thechoson

Re: for those of u that follow the lakers...
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2004, 07:32:38 PM »
Kobe needs to stay, as much as I hate him, this would be the smart decision by the Lakers.

headmachine

• Sr. Citizen
  • new
    • AOL Instant Messenger - edhouse616
    • View Profile
    • my life
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2004, 08:01:54 PM »
i think so too...

i wonder if shaq feels like pippen now...that would be really sad because shaq is undeniably a better player...does this mean that kobe is that much better than shaq also? i guess u have to take their ages into account the most though..

cho all the columnists believe that kobe is not yet in his prime..if u had to put money down today would u take kobe in his prime or shaq in his prime in terms of a franchise player - not just flashy dunks and crap rapping ability?  :-*
ROAR for LLS 2005
*SLY*

thechoson

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2004, 08:32:04 PM »
i think so too...

i wonder if shaq feels like pippen now...that would be really sad because shaq is undeniably a better player...does this mean that kobe is that much better than shaq also? i guess u have to take their ages into account the most though..

cho all the columnists believe that kobe is not yet in his prime..if u had to put money down today would u take kobe in his prime or shaq in his prime in terms of a franchise player - not just flashy dunks and crap rapping ability?  :-*

What is prime?  Prime is physically at your peak, which for a man is about 22-28.  So Kobe is already there.  Along with that, is a mental prime, which comes from experience.  Kobe is there too, in my opinion. Remember, he's been in the NBA 8 years already.  Having said that, Kobe LAST SEASON (2002-2003) was in the best shape of his life, and he put up about 27 ppg, 6 rpg, 6 apg.  Numbers wise, I think this is the best you can expect from him. 

Having said that, Shaq is an underachiever. he's always out of shape, always bitching. HIS prime was in 2000, when he put up 29 ppg, 14 rpg, 4 apg, and threw in 3 bpg for good measure.  One of the greatest seasons in NBA history, his team won 67, he won All Star, Regular season, and Finals MVP.  This was HIS prime, and yet because of his fat lazy ass, only lasted one year.

So at their peaks, Shaq is no doubt better.  However, Kobe's prime will last longer because he is more focused (if he can keep his male private part in his pants).  Having said that, to answer your question, in each of these guys' primes,no doubt, Shaq.  In fact, there are only 2 guys in NBA history I'd take over Shaq in his prime. Wilt, and MJ.

neverends

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2004, 08:53:38 PM »
Shaq is looking like a tired female dog, but I think he's sick of Kobe.  I'm thinking if LA brought a genuine superstar into the point, who had real chemistry with shaq, we might see the old shaq come back.  In which case LA would be unbeatable again.

So tired of Kobe, I think he's still a kid.  Grew up fast, stopped early.  I havn't seen much development in his game...
it's coming...

farnsworth

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Good news everyone!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2004, 09:05:19 AM »
Shaq is more valuable than Kobe for the simple reason that there are more good players at Kobe's position than there are at center.  How many other truly great centers are there in the league?  Yao is starting to get there, and after that there's...Ben Wallace?  He's fine defensively (although I think somewhat overrated due to the lack of true centers in the East), but not an offensive threat.  Even fat and out of shape, Shaq dominates any other player at his position- not by a little bit, but by a ton (literally and figuratively)

The dropoff from losing Shaq to whoever takes his position is undoubtedly greater than the dropoff from losing Kobe to whoever takes his position (T-Mac, Carmelo, Pierce, etc.)

However, the Lakers probably think that Shaq is close to the end of his career, and would rather hold on to one bona-fide star for 10-15 years as opposed to the Most Dominant Player for around 5.

LALkrGrl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2004, 09:31:20 AM »
Shaq is looking like a tired female dog, but I think he's sick of Kobe.  I'm thinking if LA brought a genuine superstar into the point, who had real chemistry with shaq, we might see the old shaq come back.  In which case LA would be unbeatable again.

First, you cannot blame Kobe for Shaq's downfall. He's just too f'in big, and you can't sustain that level of energy and play on that enormous of a frame. Say, for instance, Kobe left the Lakers and Kidd came in, Shaq would still only be streaky at best. Just like we saw this season. You just can't count on the big guy for much, as much as I love him and hate to see him go. Kobe has longevity, and I think that with the team as "his," he will explode.

Second, how annoying would it be if Shaq went to the Kings for C-Webb and Bibby? I might not be able to watch the NBA anymore.

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2004, 10:02:32 AM »
shaq and kobe need to play together...but in ATLANTA! 

HAWKS BABY, HAWKS!!!

ok...so maybe too much coffee this morning...
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

farnsworth

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Good news everyone!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2004, 10:24:45 AM »
O'Neal to MN for Sprewell (Gets to go back to the big city, huge upgrade over George at SF), Szczerbiak (Good outside shooting 6th man behind Kobe), and Olowokandi (Replaces O'Neal at center).  Salaries work out within 500k...

LAL lines up

Fisher/Payton
Kobe
Sprewell
Malone(?)
Olowokandi
6th man- Szczerbiak

MN lines up
Cassell
Hassell
Free Agent SF/Ndudi Ebi(??)
KG
O'Neal
6th man- Hudson(assuming re-sign)/Madsen

OK, so it'd NEVER happen (LAL would never send Shaq to the West), but its fun to think about

thechoson

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2004, 10:26:01 AM »
Shaq's never won without Kobe, Kobe's never won without Shaq.

I have a feeling its going to be like Jordan and Pippen, never win one without the other