Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University at Buffalo  (Read 1180 times)

Ammann

• View Profile
    • Email
University at Buffalo
« on: June 21, 2004, 03:13:45 PM »
I got into University at Buffalo and Hofstra University Law Schools.  There is a possibility that i might get a 3-year full scholarship to Buffalo. Hofstra hasn't shown me the money yet.  They relatively equal in the rankings, where do you guys think i should go. Also, has anybody heard anything good about Buffalo?

Victor

Re: University at Buffalo
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2004, 03:18:37 PM »
I got into University at Buffalo and Hofstra University Law Schools.  There is a possibility that i might get a 3-year full scholarship to Buffalo. Hofstra hasn't shown me the money yet.  They relatively equal in the rankings, where do you guys think i should go. Also, has anybody heard anything good about Buffalo?

Actually I was planning on applying to Buffalo but I realized how the area has a high crime rate. So that definately precludes me from applying. The tutition is extremely low and they show charts and diagrams of fairly good job oppourtunities in their catalog. But still, the area is ghastly.

othius

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2004, 09:46:26 AM »
Alright, Buffalo is a crap hole of a city, but Amherst, where UB is isn't that bad. My brother goes to UB and enjoys the area. There are some great parks, great music scene, world class museums, and cheap housing. Seriously, the housing is dirt cheap. Yes, there are some seedy areas, but you can find nice neighborhoods for pennies. Check out www.realtor.com and look up amherst and buffalo NY. You can even choose the UB area through additional searches. YOu'll find houses on the cheap and apts galore.

I live in Rochester NY right now, and I'm moving to Japan for a year then back stateside for law school. Up until a few weeks ago, I had sworn of buffalo... after seeing the area and hearing about the scenes.... I'm really considering it.

And the close proximity to Canada is sweet. Great country, great people.

piece.

jdn2262

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2004, 12:17:49 PM »

Ammann is the scholarship that your talking about the Schomburg scholarship because I was also nominated. If I get it I will definitely attend, do you know when the decisions are expected to be made?

Ammann

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2004, 01:12:39 PM »
Actually yeah, the schomburg fellowship is the one i am talking about.  I haven't gotten any word on when it will be decided. I guess i'll give them to the end of june before calling the dean of admissions. If i get the fellowship, it's definitly gonna be hard to dismiss. Still, even if i don't get the fellowship, it's still less expensive than Hofstra.  It's just the cold that's scaring me, i am used to Long Island weather, not Canada weather. If you have any relevant information, let me know. (also: the orientation schedule is printed on the admitted student website).

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2004, 03:28:18 PM »
Buffalo is a hole of a city.  I'm from there, and my family still lives in the area, but I'm not going back, ever.  My dad offered to let me move back home and live for free, and I could go to law school there, but I turned down the offer.  I'd rather take my chances and pile up debt.  The area is slowly dying, thanks to poor management of the city, and I'd never consider working there or anywhere near the area.  My dad understood all my reasons for turning down the offer, and had only made it just so I knew it was an option.  And if remember correctly, UB doesn't have a very good bar passage rate (i could be wrong on this...I haven't looked at the numbers in a while)

If you haven't visited the area(s) where you're considering going to school, then none of this will probably make a difference to you, and you've possibly made a huge mistake.  Why would you commit yourself to 3 years somewhere without taking a look?  It would've been worth the investment.

lexylit

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2004, 07:16:15 PM »
oh buff... its pretty gross =( they do have a phenomenal english dept with some crazy crazy poets though!

the prof who gave me a tour of campus told me it was designed to be used for a texas prison, but texas rejected it as being too ugly. so ub got it  :P

if you do end up there and have any interest in poetry, check out some of the speakers as people roll through... buff is an old name famous for changing the face of lit theory and they get some prestigious visitors.

risk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2004, 02:19:40 PM »
an up and coming bargain with a fairy good rep.There numbers were way up this year due to its low cost.i got my only rejection from them while NY Law  and St Johns accepted meIts not in Buffalo so the neighborhood isn't that bad.

pidge

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2004, 02:43:02 PM »
Between Buffalo, Syracuse, and Albany, is there really a difference? For example, if you stay in upstate NY, are the firms really going to care which school you attended? Actually, does anyone know of someone who graduated from these schools, and decided to leave upstate? I'm concerned there won't be a market at all for graduates of these schools. I'm leaning to Buffalo, just b/c they're ranked so much better, and they're so much cheaper. What do you guys think?

Ammann

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2004, 04:16:12 PM »
Go to buffalo, It's the best bargain for a Tier 2 school in my opinion. I did sit down and research some NYC law firms and quite a few have Buffalo Law Alumni. In my firm alone there was 3 and my firm is Vault top 100.