Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: diversity?  (Read 451 times)

HairMetalRulz

• its 5 o clock somewhere
    • View Profile
diversity?
« on: August 26, 2005, 12:29:14 PM »
ok, so I wanna write the optional "diversity" essay for Duke and Georgetown.  Here's my deal: I'm trying to figure out how I'm diverse from other applicants, and my PS already covers my teaching experience in South Central LA. 

I'm considering writing about my faith as a diverse aspect.  I became a Christian 4 years ago and my life has been changed in many dramatic ways.  I realize a lot of people might identify themselves as "Christian" but I'm wondering if I could make it work from a diversity angle.

Thoughts?
161, 3.64.... fingers crossed for something, anything really
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=tfateach

Served

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: diversity?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 12:32:51 PM »
Racially, ethnically, religiously, socio-economically, aesthetically, intellectually, experientially, politically (I'd stay away from this one), etc.  Pick something that is rather unique about yourself.
“The best way to lie is to tell part of the truth.”     -Twain
“Religion is the universal obsessional neurosis of humanity.”     - Freud
“When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.”     - Maslow

Raskolnikov

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 01:45:48 PM »
Agreed.  I've been told that the diversity essay isn't just for URMs anymore, since most schools have broadened the scope that they ask for, so figure out something that you think the rest of the class won't have going for them.  Even if ten other people have that same trait, the school will still appreciate that you put as much effort and work into their application as possible.

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 09:01:55 PM »
Hey there. I'm from South Central, and I'd love to see what kind of personal statement you wrote about that. I was going to be working that into my personal statement as well. What school do you teach at? My local HS just lost its accreditation, actually.

jeb240

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005, 11:06:08 PM »
I'm considering writing about my faith as a diverse aspect.  I became a Christian 4 years ago and my life has been changed in many dramatic ways.  I realize a lot of people might identify themselves as "Christian" but I'm wondering if I could make it work from a diversity angle.

Thoughts?

You know, I never got to see a revised version of your essay.   ;)

Anyway, I think that choosing your religion to discuss is a great idea.  I mean, if you can write it correctly.  While many people are Christians, it's hard to be openly so in today's academic universe.  Just so as you don't preach or proselytize.

I actually went a totally different way from what I imagine is expected in my diversity essay (I didn't discuss being black or gay or poor -- well, they appear, but only as guest appearances and hardly as recurring roles).

To wax hippy, more than trying to think outside the box, try to re-think the box.

Served

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2005, 11:19:21 PM »
What is better than one minority topic.  Intersectionality: having multiple different minority factors.  Critical race theory loves talking about this.
“The best way to lie is to tell part of the truth.”     -Twain
“Religion is the universal obsessional neurosis of humanity.”     - Freud
“When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.”     - Maslow