Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: should I retake the LSAT, get VA residency or both?  (Read 1361 times)

jle203

• View Profile
should I retake the LSAT, get VA residency or both?
« on: August 26, 2005, 10:50:51 AM »
Hi everyone,

I would appreciate some opinions on whether I should retake the LSAT.

Score: 166
GPA: 3.8

I'm taking 2-3 years off right now to work in a well-known consulting firm.  UVA is my #1 school right now.  I'm considering trying to get transfered to the Virginia office next year so that I can establish residency before I apply.  I also worked in a law firm last summer with a partner who went to Virginia.  He has offered to write me a recommendation letter.  I graduated from a well known honors program at a public, top 50 school.

Any opinions on whether I should retake, move or both would be welcome.  How much will a combined score of 168-169 and Virginia residency really help me? 

Thanks!   

thenextstep

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: should I retake the LSAT, get VA residency or both?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 10:55:40 AM »
If UVa is the only state school you'd REALLY want to go to, then it's definitely worth establishing residency.  It makes it somewhat easier to get in and makes tuition way cheaper.  UVa is a school where you really cannot become a resident once you are in school so it's good to already be one.  So I'd say definitely become a resident unless there's another state school you are seriously considering (i.e. your second or third choice) and you are not fairly sure about being able to get in.  Make sure you find out what it takes to be a resident for tuition purposes at UVa though so that you don't get screwed.

I don't think you HAVE to retake the LSAT but if you are confident that you can do significantly better and have the time/money to do it, then go for it.  Also check out UVa's policy on multiple LSATs. 

Hope this was helpful!

Served

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 11:04:41 AM »
Sounds like it might be a good idea.  Plus W&M would be a nice backup for you with residency, although you probably wont need it.
“The best way to lie is to tell part of the truth.”     -Twain
“Religion is the universal obsessional neurosis of humanity.”     - Freud
“When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.”     - Maslow

jle203

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 11:11:11 AM »
Thanks for the replies! 

I'm not sure if UVA is the only public school I'd really like to go to, but I probably have the best chance of transferring to VA and staying with my company.

W&M as a backup is also a great idea.  I don't really know much about the school, but I'm going to look into it now.