Lionking

« on: August 25, 2005, 08:36:37 PM »

InVinoVeritas

• Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
Re: Gay Clergy?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 08:41:34 PM »
an episcoplian bishop in vermont (or is it new hampshire?) is gay.

InVinoVeritas

• Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 08:55:21 PM »
clearly you're not the only one.  you've got plenty of company.  but apparently this bishop's church is more about the compassion and love jesus preached than condemnation.

and why stop at strippers?  why not let adulterers be part of the clergy too?  oh wait....

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 08:55:37 PM »

" Are strippers going to start preaching now?"

If they did I would start going to church on Sunday...mass is so boring now. Its just "stand, sit, kneel...stand, sit, kneel" Sometimes I feel like I'm in Catholic aerobics class

jassulli

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2005, 09:21:44 PM »
you dont have to have had gay sex in order to be gay ... this still doesnt contradict the bible.

twarga

• Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2005, 01:37:08 PM »
Hmmmm... sexless marriage?  And their marriage will be any different from 90% of other marriages how?...  ;)

jassulli

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2005, 03:16:57 PM »

even engage in a long term relationship with the same sex (even if that relationship is non-sexual)

this part is also non-essential to being gay, IMO, so it's irrelevant.  im not familiar with any reference in the bible regarding attraction, but im not biblical expert either.

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2005, 03:28:08 PM »

I don't have a lot of Bible knowledge; is it okay for a church leader to be physically attracted to the same sex, and even engage in a long term relationship with the same sex (even if that relationship is non-sexual)? Is that accepted from a Biblical perspective? I'm asking because I honestly don't know.

I don't have a lot of Bible knowledge either, but many Christian and Jewish sects allow gay clergy, so presumably according to those people's interpretation of the bible/torah it's fine.

And there are quite a few very close and loving relationships between people of the same sex in the old testament (Ruth and Naomi being an oft cited example), so if it's a sexless relationship, I don't know why it wouldn't be ok.

And I bet there are a lot of ministers who eat shrimp or wear clothing of mixed fibers and those are technically forbidden in the old testament too.

J D

• Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2005, 04:25:52 PM »
LK, you could make the same point about heterosexuality: are you straight if you've never acted on your heterosexual attractions and feelings?  What if you're a virgin and have never had any sexual contact of any kind; would that mean you are not a heterosexual (or not a homosexual?

That's why I think human sexuality is a hell of a lot more complicated--and more subtle--than mere physical contact.  The way I see it, you can be (and are) gay or lesbian without ever having had sexual relations (those words used in a far broader sense than Clinton did, mind) with another soul, just as much as you can be (and are) straight without having had sexual relations with another soul.

And I think the issue is kind of moot anyway: the bottom line is that there already are (in all probability) hundreds if not thousands of (albeit closeted) gay clergy, even in faiths that do not condone it (and I am not referring to the Catholic sex abuse scandal here; I consider those scumbags to be pedophiles, not homosexuals, and in my mind there is a CLEAR and important difference).